Round 7 — Hunslet

Dave Naylor

I've sat and thought about it, I think that trying to bill a lead is right BUT it needs to be considered. 3 penalties on Hunslet line the team on a warning and we kick the points, if we were taking points then kick penalty one not 3 makes no sense. 

Unfortunately the buck stops with the on field captain. I can't remember whether Owen was on the field or not. So I certainly won't throw him under the bus. 

Wilko was unavailable due to a head knock so whether the game management would be better on Friday is a non starter 

I did think our game management would be better this year with the addition of Hawkyard, Bowman and Law but it isn't. Add to that the apparent lack of leadership from the captain and we are in the same position as last year when it comes to seeing games out.

In fact during the end of game collapse I think our captain was in the sin bin which is not where you expect the captain to be.

The coach has some big calls to make and appointing a new on field captain needs to be one of them.

Let's be honest we fell for their tactics again.. We were well on top and the scuffle played into their hands and we never recovered. 

I think one of the pluses last year was Bridge constantly talking to the players so maybe he'll be a catalyst? 

Stats

Hawkyard-0 tackles. one miss. one offload. 19 carries=162m

Jones-Bishop-7 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 12 carries=99m

McComb-18 tackles. one miss. one offload. 9 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 12 carries=144m

Holmes-20 tackles. 7 carries=60m

Johnson-11 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 9 carries=57m

Bowman-15 tackles. 2 misses. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 6 carries=34m

Hewitt-7 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. one try assist. 5 carries=28m

Joy-19 tackles. 6 carries=59m

Owen-15 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 2 try assists. 3 carries=13m

Law-20 tackles. 2 misses. 7 carries=53m

Whittel-30 tackles.2 misses. one offload. 3 tackle busts. 6 carries=55m

Langtree-24 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. 11 carries=99m

Bent-41 tackles. 9 carries=48m

subs

Greenwood-13 tackles. 2 misses. one try assist. 1 carry=7m