Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Well said.

I know it's talking to the wall and I shouldn't engage, but it's painful to read his gobbledegook. 

Americans and Canadians will play this game when we have more pro teams for kids to aspire to. The NHL expanded all throughout the American West, Southwest, and Sunshine Belt (non-traditional markets) in the 1990s and now in the very near future, Americans will outnumber Canadians in the best league in their national sport. Nobody gaves a flyin' rat's rectum about ice hockey in places like Nashville, Phoenix, or Las Vegas prior to them getting teams and now they are vital parts of the sports cultures of those cities and areas. That's the model rugby league needs to follow here in the US and Canada. You seed the land with professional teams and development will follow.  

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

I know it's talking to the wall and I shouldn't engage, but it's painful to read his gobbledegook. 

Americans and Canadians will play this game when we have more pro teams for kids to aspire to. The NHL expanded all throughout the American West, Southwest, and Sunshine Belt (non-traditional markets) in the 1990s and now in the very near future, Americans will outnumber Canadians in the best league in their national sport. Nobody gaves a flyin' rat's rectum about ice hockey in places like Nashville, Phoenix, or Las Vegas prior to them getting teams and now they are vital parts of the sports cultures of those cities and areas. That's the model rugby league needs to follow here in the US and Canada. You seed the land with professional teams and development will follow.  

I'm stunned to discover your stats on hockey players are correct. Within a decade there will be Americans playing in the NHL than Canadians. So much for Canada's game. :kolobok_girl_sad:

All the more reason for the Raptors to take the NBA title! ?

20 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

But that is where we might hit a problem , finding the numbers to fill those teams and retain the quality we currently have , now who filled these ice hockey teams across the US initially ?

55 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

01.) Perez wasn't in charge long enough in Toronto to to implement any sort of plan to convert football players. It could totally happen, nobody is putting any money into yet. The hero of USA 7s, Perry Baker, is a former football player. Let's see if Perez, now that the owners of the CFL's RedBlacks are onboard with him, can do anything in Ottawa along those lines.

02.) RU conversions can happen to, it's not a zero sum game. 

03.) All of this, all development of RL players from the United States and Canada, is going to be a long term project taking 10 to 15 years. 

Is it fair to say that Canada underachieves in sports given the facilities available, population size, large middle class etc etc? I've always found the lack of talent coming out of Canada in major sports odd but I suppose the long winters do hamper the athletes somewhat.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

But that is where we might hit a problem , finding the numbers to fill those teams and retain the quality we currently have , now who filled these ice hockey teams across the US initially ?

We've done this dance before on here, Senor Brats. More pro teams here open up more opportunities for players from England, France, and Australia. How is more playing opportunities a bad thing? 

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

Is it fair to say that Canada underachieves in sports given the facilities available, population size, large middle class etc etc? I've always found the lack of talent coming out of Canada in major sports odd but I suppose the long winters do hamper the athletes somewhat.

Canadians care primarily about ice hockey, and as such focus on it- like the Kiwis with rugby union. Something like 85% of their population watched the Canada vs the US gold medal game in 2010. Their "major sports" are ice hockey, baseball, and Canadian football. It's just about the differences in sports cultures. They do well in what they care about as a society, they clean up at the Winter Olympics- they have more medals than any Scandinavian nation bar Sweden. 

Fun fact, the CFL's Grey Cup says "Rugby Football Champions of Canada" on it. They beat Colombia to win the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup in one of the stranger soccer games I've ever watched. 

It's about what sports you like. 

2 hours ago, Onieda FC said:

I see this guy is still going? Amazing.

Hi Parky! Your friend Oneida here, you know- the guy who actually lives in North America? Yeah dude. 

01.) You have absolutely no clue as to the sports culture of North America. Not a single clue.

And you have absolutely no clue as to the RL culture of the UK , and indeed OZ , not a single clue 

The players don't exist , and no matter how much you say they do , they don't , 

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

I'm stunned to discover your stats on hockey players are correct. Within a decade there will be Americans playing in the NHL than Canadians. So much for Canada's game. :kolobok_girl_sad:

All the more reason for the Raptors to take the NBA title! ?

I know from whence I speak, I'm from Boston- one of the heartlands of hockey in the US. 

Most of those Raptors are from the US. Nobody here cares where players are from- that seems unique to English RL fans. ??

11 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

So do it , or shut up about it , Ice Hockey is about as major a sport as RL , played in a few countries around the world , that isn't major 

5 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

Canadians care primarily about ice hockey, and as such focus on it- like the Kiwis with rugby union. Something like 85% of their population watched the Canada vs the US gold medal game in 2010. Their "major sports" are ice hockey, baseball, and Canadian football. It's just about the differences in sports cultures. They do well in what they care about as a society, they clean up at the Winter Olympics- they have more medals than any Scandinavian nation bar Sweden. 

Fun fact, the CFL's Grey Cup says "Rugby Football Champions of Canada" on it. They beat Colombia to win the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup in one of the stranger soccer games I've ever watched. 

It's about what sports you like. 

As I said , not major sport 

1 minute ago, Onieda FC said:

I know from whence I speak, I'm from Boston- one of the heartlands of hockey in the US. 

Most of those Raptors are from the US. Nobody here cares where players are from- that seems unique to English RL fans. ??

It isn't that we care where they are from , they don't exist , so where non existent players come from is fairly irrelivant 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And you have absolutely no clue as to the RL culture of the UK , and indeed OZ , not a single clue 

The players don't exist , and no matter how much you say they do , they don't , 

I do- you seem to want to keep things limited to a small bunch of towns that were mines along the M62 highway in the 1930s, you cannot fathom expansion beyond that, you can't imagine where new players are going to come from despite the current Challenge Cup holders not being English- or even British- and you'd like to keep things as small and provincial as possible lest "wrong'uns" get involved? Have I about it got it?

You don't think a guy playing in the NSW Cup or the Queensland Cup wouldn't rather come to play in Boston or New York? You don't think the opportunity to play in those cities (or Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, etc) wouldn't tempt people to take up the game, cross codes, etc? 

Your view is incredibly small minded and limited.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It isn't that we care where they are from , they don't exist , so where non existent players come from is fairly irrelivant 

What will they put on their VISAs under country of origin?..we all know that they are just shady under performing Aussies trying to sneak int the UK ...damn Aussies....damn Canadians..damn New Zealanders...damn Islanders........DAMN THEM ALL!

We are going to have a Brexit and we ARE GOING TO FIX ALL OF THIS!!!!!

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So do it , or shut up about it , Ice Hockey is about as major a sport as RL , played in a few countries around the world , that isn't major 

Yeah, just those little countries like the US, Canada, Germany, Russia, all the former Soviet republics, I mean nobody you've ever heard of haha. You guys would kill for a Rugby League WC that looked like this (bearing in mind 99% of those representing the nations actually come from the nations and are not rebadged Aussies). 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

English rugby fans seem to have a huge problem with where players come from, if I had a quarter for every "oh they're not really Canadian" gripe about Toronto I could finally start up Boston Ironsides RLFC and rent out Gillette Stadium. 

No, clearly there are no more rugby league players anywhere and all expansion must halt immediately. I'll call Elstone, you call the NRL guys. Someone will have to call the Tongans, and I'm not doing that. 

6 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

I do- you seem to want to keep things limited to a small bunch of towns that were mines along the M62 highway in the 1930s, you cannot fathom expansion beyond that, you can't imagine where new players are going to come from despite the current Challenge Cup holders not being English- or even British- and you'd like to keep things as small and provincial as possible lest "wrong'uns" get involved? Have I about it got it?

You don't think a guy playing in the NSW Cup or the Queensland Cup wouldn't rather come to play in Boston or New York? You don't think the opportunity to play in those cities (or Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, etc) wouldn't tempt people to take up the game, cross codes, etc? 

Your view is incredibly small minded and limited.

Interesting that you mention the ' cup holders ' who despite having essentially first call on players from a whole country that has played RL for 80+ years , has few actual French players in its team , especially in the primary positions , kind of makes my point doesn't it 

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What will they put on their VISAs under country of origin?..we all know that they are just shady under performing Aussies trying to sneak int the UK ...damn Aussies....damn Canadians..damn New Zealanders...damn Islanders........DAMN THEM ALL!

We are going to have a Brexit and we ARE GOING TO FIX ALL OF THIS!!!!!

Not got a clue what point if you have one you are attempting to make here 

8 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

Yeah, just those little countries like the US, Canada, Germany, Russia, all the former Soviet republics, I mean nobody you've ever heard of haha. You guys would kill for a Rugby League WC that looked like this (bearing in mind 99% of those representing the nations actually come from the nations and are not rebadged Aussies). 

How many actual teams can win it ? Genuinely ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not got a clue what point if you have one you are attempting to make here 

I'm holding you to your promise...and you to mine.  Why are you being critical of the attempts by the Wolfpack to get the grassroots going?

9 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

English rugby fans seem to have a huge problem with where players come from, if I had a quarter for every "oh they're not really Canadian" gripe about Toronto I could finally start up Boston Ironsides RLFC and rent out Gillette Stadium. 

No, clearly there are no more rugby league players anywhere and all expansion must halt immediately. I'll call Elstone, you call the NRL guys. Someone will have to call the Tongans, and I'm not doing that. 

How many times ? ,It isn't where they are from , it's they aren't from anywhere , but you being Canadian know more about everything than anybody else , I thought that was just Australians , it seems you're just the same , all the best 

Archived