Growth of grassroots

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-community-rugby-league-participation-3593960

A nice positive story coming out of Hull. Apparently there has been an 11% increase in youth participation in the area in the last 12 months. 

Article mentions a number of newly established teams in Lincolnshire taking part in development days as well. 

All looking good round here! Anymore good news about the grassroots coming out of the rest of rugby league land?

Sounds like they are trying new things: "We are challenging the traditional methods in which rugby league has been delivered"

Anyone know what it is that is being done differently and what has inspired this new approach?  

33 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-community-rugby-league-participation-3593960

A nice positive story coming out of Hull. Apparently there has been an 11% increase in youth participation in the area in the last 12 months. 

Article mentions a number of newly established teams in Lincolnshire taking part in development days as well. 

All looking good round here! Anymore good news about the grassroots coming out of the rest of rugby league land?

Less of the positive stuff please Goose, this is a Rugby League forum. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Long overdue but pleasing to hear they have focus on it in the right areas. About time they looked at broadening the horizons into Lincolnshire 

28 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Long overdue but pleasing to hear they have focus on it in the right areas. About time they looked at broadening the horizons into Lincolnshire 

I’ve often wondered why RL isn’t played in places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe, working class towns so close to Hull, and even down to Lincoln. Would be great if it does somehow take off there. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55089/new-hull-development-days-proving-a-big-hit

Just a bit of info explaining what the development days are. 

I have had many a good times watching rugby in Hull and hope this is the start of the turnaround it deserves what is 11% in actual numbers compared to the number of established teams losing junior players seeing we have three new teams starting up.

Four years ago both Hull teams had a scholarship team now they share one Super League Is ruining junior rugby all over the country junior teams are getting  ruined by Super League teams trawling kids in and ruining amateur teams by doing this I honestly think if a player is good enough they should put money on the table "Like the good old  days"   not sign two or three from the same amateur side so parents can share expenses taking them to training but are really only after one of the players,

The Super League has not improved in quality since it first started it has got worse teams pay for has been players to come over as has beings,  more back staff than ever, average players getting paid as full time professionals.

Basically we are a badly run sport with overpaid management who while they are getting paid do not care about anybody they are not affiliated to and especially below Super League.

Wasn't the idea of Super League that teams did not need a chairmen to back a team financially Sky money would do this but look at us now how many teams now do this I can only think of one and they have the highest paid director.   

I honestly think Junior and Amateur Rugby League has got to pull out of its ties with the professional side and get its own sponsorships and try to find its own grants.  

I hope this is the first negative remark I have made about Rugby League I have watched it for over 55yrs semi/professional rugby, and Junior for over 35yrs I feel on the professional side Toronto are the only positive side to the game and some established teams are worried about what they might bring to the game.  

18 hours ago, DoubleD said:

One or two of us ventured into Barton, Immingham and Grimsby in the 90s and a few schools started playing.  I don’t have my diaries to hand but from memory we had about 8 schools at a tournament.  

The Youth numbers have dropped away and although 11% sounds good, it will be for a lower number than say 10 years ago.  Good on ‘em for any growth.

Archived