Jump to content

Programme Watch: Which clubs are issuing them in 2020?


Recommended Posts

This was a popular thread last year; maybe it should become a tradition.

Although there has been a trend for paper programmes to be less available, increased crowds may potentially see them become more viable at a professional level. As an example, I would have thought that Toronto were missing a trick if they were not to take advantage of increased away support and the Sonny Boy Williams effect. At an amateur level, economic pressures are always to the fore, but it is heartening that some of the lower league clubs manage to produce something.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Spoke to Simon Hall, of Wigginton-based All Design & Print Ltd, a few weeks back. He intimated he'd be continuing, in 2020, to produce printed programmes for Dewsbury Rams, Heworth, Hunslet (monthly magazine), York Acorn and York City Knights.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Spoke to Simon Hall, of Wigginton-based All Design & Print Ltd, a few weeks back. He intimated he'd be continuing, in 2020, to produce printed programmes for Dewsbury Rams, Heworth, Hunslet (monthly magazine), York Acorn and York City Knights.

That's a promising start to the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the odd one ended up on the programme site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be helpful to me if people could keep this site updated as I have no intention of going to any ground where a  printed programme is not on sale. Thank you. Rugby League will not be my priority this year anyway as I will be out hiking most Sundays but I will still go to games if I finish my walk early enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keighley Cougars will be continuing their production of a matchday programme.

Not too sure if the price remains the same - at £2 it has to be the best value rugby league read available.

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Challenge Cup gets started this weekend.

I assume most (if not all) the host National Conference League clubs will issue programmes.

Mansfield Woodhouse-based Sherwood Wolf Hunt, who play Wests Warriors on Sunday (1.30), have confirmed programmes will be available from a pop-up shop in the Debdale Park clubhouse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Did Keighley reduce the price of their programme during the 2019 season? I went to the Coventry game in March, and the programme was £3. A bit steep, for the third tier, I thought.

  £2 ( Two ) - As shown on centre of base of the front cover.Unsure how they could have charged £3.

  It's a very good,informative,programme.

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Keighley Cougars will be continuing their production of a matchday programme.

Not too sure if the price remains the same - at £2 it has to be the best value rugby league read available.

I've always enjoyed visiting Keighley wether with Salford or North Wales Crusaders but didn't make it last year. I will definitely get there this season then as I often go walking not too far from there. Any good local walk recommendations are welcome. Last time I went to Keighley. I remember going to watch a game against Toronto after walking Wherneside and North Wales Crusaders after walking Ingleborough.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Challenge Cup gets started this weekend.

I assume most (if not all) the host National Conference League clubs will issue programmes.

Mansfield Woodhouse-based Sherwood Wolf Hunt, who play Wests Warriors on Sunday (1.30), have confirmed programmes will be available from a pop-up shop in the Debdale Park clubhouse.

I'm looking at Mayfield or Leigh Miners on Saturday. Have to stay local because I work Friday night. Normanton .v. Longhorns was my plan for Sunday but Sherwood appeals. I've watched RL in Nottingham and Mansfield but never been to watch the Wolf Hunt. Can anybody confirm if there will be a programme a printed programme at Normanton on Sunday please. That may influence my decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Can anybody confirm if there will be a programme a printed programme at Normanton on Sunday please. That may influence my decision.

You'd be best getting in touch with the club.

Contacts for Normanton on the NCL website are secretary Katrina Daw (k_daw@sky.com/07876401560) and chair Joan Langley (07949222857). If they don't know, nobody will!

Stacks of great walking in the Haworth/Oxenhope/Hebden Bridge area. Some decent stuff on Rombalds Moor, above Keighley, too.

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/01/2020 at 15:48, Celtic Roosters said:

I've always enjoyed visiting Keighley wether with Salford or North Wales Crusaders but didn't make it last year. I will definitely get there this season then as I often go walking not too far from there. Any good local walk recommendations are welcome. Last time I went to Keighley. I remember going to watch a game against Toronto after walking Wherneside and North Wales Crusaders after walking Ingleborough.

I'm looking at Mayfield or Leigh Miners on Saturday. Have to stay local because I work Friday night. Normanton .v. Longhorns was my plan for Sunday but Sherwood appeals. I've watched RL in Nottingham and Mansfield but never been to watch the Wolf Hunt. Can anybody confirm if there will be a programme a printed programme at Normanton on Sunday please. That may influence my decision.

    Hope this helps - https://where2walk.co.uk/

  • Like 1

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

National Conference League Barrow Island issued a glossy 16-pager (£1, on top of £2 admission) for their Challenge Cup first round tie with Rhondda Outlaws. Island's programme seems to have improved no end since the budget effort produced for their first season back in the NCL.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2020 at 21:46, clifford said:

Dewsbury tweeted that their programme is resigned to history 

Shame. I'll now not bother going to Dewsbury this season (just as I sidestepped Batley last). 

I see Dewsbury claim their programme is unsustainable yet amateur NCL neighbours Dewsbury Celtic, Dewsbury Moor and Thornhill Trojans all manage to produce one, on much lower crowds and with far fewer resources. Funny, that.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Please can you guys post these messages on our (Dewsbury's) club forum. You make good points. There is already a thread active on this subject and maybe someone at the club will take note.

I did give Dewsbury's media guy some feedback. His email address was included in the club's tweet about abandoning printed programmes. He hasn't responded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...