New rules trial for Juniors in Oz.

6 minutes ago, Click said:

We're talking about children. They shouldn't be learning how to tackle at that age, they should be learning things like ball handling.

Don't most people develop a technique in terms of how they tackle, how can a child do they when their body is completely different 3 or 4 years down the line, they are still learning how to tackle. But they don't have to learn how to tackle some 10 yr old kid that looks 15 when they have the body of a 7 year old.

The article says they are trying to get players from touch and oz tag ie non contact forms of the sport.

I think this is stupid.   Tackling is one of the most important skills in the game 

My cousins son used to be a very good junior player.  He would score lots of tries most games.  He gave it up.bc he didn't like tackling.

League is a tough sport.  These changes won't prepare them for the game 

They should stick to.non contact forms of the sport imo 

6 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

The article says they are trying to get players from touch and oz tag ie non contact forms of the sport.

I think this is stupid.   Tackling is one of the most important skills in the game 

My cousins son used to be a very good junior player.  He would score lots of tries most games.  He gave it up.bc he didn't like tackling.

League is a tough sport.  These changes won't prepare them for the game 

They should stick to.non contact forms of the sport imo 

We're also talking about kids who see a game of RL, see the tackling and say, nah - not for me.

But if you get them on the field with kids their own age, and they're just throwing it about and having a laugh, you can build upto the tackling -

Just because a kid doesn't like to tackle at 10 doesn't mean he will still not like tackling at 20 or be unable to make one.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Kids are learning to tackle, but at a later date.  I believe they also produce data that shows this improves correct tackle technique. 

The Aussie players appear to have better tackle technique than British players, so they are trying to improve what they have as well as encouraging kids to play the game.  Its a good initiative.  Its not in the NRLs interest to turn kids away.

They aim is to coach properly, by mentoring and also by following NRL guidelines.  Why wouldnt any parent want their kid to be coached or play to a lesser standard?

Coaching the kids at the local RU club now and this is what happens there. 

up to Under 9s it is tag... the kids have to learn to pass the ball around, you can have time to teach them how to catch and pass and how to run good lines and structure the defence.

under 10s tackling but no competition for the ball at the tackle, 3 man non competitive scrum. Allows you to teach proper tackle technique as this is the only thing you need to concentrate on that is new. 

under 11s add in a ruck (limited to 2 players) and the 3 man scrum gets competitive. technique in ruck and scrum can be taught properly so as not to cause injury.

under 12s add players to the ruck, scrum adds 2 players, now 12 a side. again just adding little bits and pieces to be taught over time

all of this is supposed to be non competitive. Of course some teams want to play to win and the coaches and parents keep score but you can often tell by the attitude of the kids and the way they play if that is the case. "Give it to the big kid" is a tactic we only really see from teams that play to win.. we dont and want to play good handling play that is structured up to a point but encourages the kids to think for themselves and try things. For us these are skills that are more important.. some of the "big kids" we see have no skill set and if they ever stop being the big kid will be utter rubbish as players. 

Its the first exposure to RU i have had since I was 20 really and I have been really impressed with not only the RFU coaching of coaches but also the way they have thought about the rules and adapted them for the younger players. There are some that have come through in our club that if you had started with tackling they would not have continued, but they have come through and due to the way it has been introduced have learnt and become really good players. We have not lost anyone due to there being "no contact" before the age of 9. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

up to Under 9s it is tag... the kids have to learn to pass the ball around, you can have time to teach them how to catch and pass and how to run good lines and structure the defence.

under 10s tackling but no competition for the ball at the tackle, 3 man non competitive scrum. Allows you to teach proper tackle technique as this is the only thing you need to concentrate on that is new. 

under 11s add in a ruck (limited to 2 players) and the 3 man scrum gets competitive. technique in ruck and scrum can be taught properly so as not to cause injury.

under 12s add players to the ruck, scrum adds 2 players, now 12 a side. again just adding little bits and pieces to be taught over time

all of this is supposed to be non competitive. Of course some teams want to play to win and the coaches and parents keep score but you can often tell by the attitude of the kids and the way they play if that is the case. "Give it to the big kid" is a tactic we only really see from teams that play to win.. we dont and want to play good handling play that is structured up to a point but encourages the kids to think for themselves and try things. For us these are skills that are more important.. some of the "big kids" we see have no skill set and if they ever stop being the big kid will be utter rubbish as players. 

Its the first exposure to RU i have had since I was 20 really and I have been really impressed with not only the RFU coaching of coaches but also the way they have thought about the rules and adapted them for the younger players. There are some that have come through in our club that if you had started with tackling they would not have continued, but they have come through and due to the way it has been introduced have learnt and become really good players. We have not lost anyone due to there being "no contact" before the age of 9. 

That's an interesting post

Might've changed my mind a bit lol 

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think I got more fun seeing kids have a good time and smarten themselves up than I did winning.  

We have a problem getting kids to play the game here and would do well to look at any initiative or other sport to do that.  All SL clubs should have well run pathways in 2020.  I would like to see that in Champs clubs also.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Strange that a basketball player is given airtime.  Desperate media all round in Oz.

I know right.

however... High profile former NBA. Big name and excelled at the highest level of a very competitive sport. He deserves a say and is correct in everything he said.

5 hours ago, aj1908 said:

It's a dumb way to prepare professional rugby lesgue players 

Suburban rugby league is about giving children a sense of community, a place to run around, a place to be adventurous and brave ..... all in a controlled environment.

Preparing professional rugby league players should be a secondary matter.

All my kids have been very sporty and I’ve watched a large range of kids sports over many years. 

I’d like to see some community clubs advertise on their website, registration days etc that they are “Equal playing time” clubs. A guarantee to the kids and parents that all will be done to ensure that all kids, regardless of skill, will get equal amounts of time on the field.

It’s amazing how many enthusiastic sports loving kids drop out disillusioned with sport after seeing playing time not shared around fairly. It really annoys parents too.

Most kids just want to play with their mates and most parents just want to see their kids being active with their mates. Being a pro athlete is the furthest thing from their mind.

The idea that clubs should simply be there to funnel kids into the pro athlete world and allow all the others to fall to the side, or give up sport, doesn’t wash with me.

Archived