Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

New rules trial for Juniors in Oz.

Trying to encourage kids to play for fun. Big attrition rates with kids dropping out - heard this before?  Some rules will be:

No tackling until 8+

No competition until 13 to ingrain a ‘play for the game not to win a trophy’ my words, mentality.

Kids born after June 30th can drop down an age group.

All good for me, but causing outage in Oz.  Some of the best times of my life were playing sport from leaving school to darkness.  Never won a trophy but great to play with all your mates and anyone else that came along.  3 a side soon turned into 23 a side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6502717/Controversial-changes-junior-rugby-league-met-widespread-backlash-parents.html

• Like 5

I also agree with the second part (no competitive games until 13) as it is often the coaches and the parents on the touchline who are more bothered about "winning at all costs" rather than letting the kids just enjoy the game and just giving them a chance to learn the skills.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Trying to encourage kids to play for fun. Big attrition rates with kids dropping out - heard this before?  Some rules will be:

No tackling until 8+

No competition until 13 to ingrain a ‘play for the game not to win a trophy’ my words, mentality.

All good for me, but causing outage in Oz.  Some of the best times of my life were playing sport from leaving school to darkness.  Never won a trophy but great to play with all your mates and anyone else that came along.  3 a side soon turned into 23 a side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6502717/Controversial-changes-junior-rugby-league-met-widespread-backlash-parents.html

Believe it or not i have been suggesting these type of changes for years.  

I would go further and have no tackling till 10+. 

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

31 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm in favour of anything that encourages more kids to play our game

A problem I faced in our 1st season in the Humberside league with kids who’d never played any sport before was the win at all costs approach from coaches and the high expectancy of parents on the touchlines.  We lost some because their parents didn’t want their kids involved in all that.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

A problem I faced in our 1st season in the Humberside league with kids who’d never played any sport before was the win at all costs approach from coaches and the high expectancy of parents on the touchlines.  We lost some because their parents didn’t want their kids involved in all that.

Well said

See I played because of the tackling tbh. If no tackling in games then there should be lots of technique training on the bags etc 

If no leagues I would still have competitive cup/round robin tournaments at end of season.

Ok with age drop if sizes are similar.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Parents who try and live out a 2nd career through their 8 year old child annoy me so much and do so much damage, not just to their own child but also the other children too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

U7s is 6 or 7 weeks of no tackle. Not the whole season.

Scores haven't been kept for juniors for a long time.

new rise.jpg

This is causing widespread outrage in Australia. People saying that they won’t let their kids play. Once again rugby league is trying to appeal to people who don’t have an interest to begin with

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Parents who try and live out a 2nd career through their 8 year old child annoy me so much and do so much damage, not just to their own child but also the other children too.

In the late 1980s / early 1990s there was a Greater Manchester Junior League (u-8s to u-14s).

One of the rules was that if any parent on the touchline shouted any derogatory comment about an opposition player, a referee or even about the way his own team were playing then the game was immediately stopped by the referee and a penalty given to the opposition irrespective of who had possession at that time.

After a week or so then the rule very rarely had to be enforced.

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

No tackling until 8+

These all sound stupid 

They can play touch or tag versions if they are afraid of tackling 

The high attrition rate is bc it's a tough sport to play and not every kid can handle this.  Trying to sugar coat it wont stop them playing

Tackling is important in league so stopping this just retards their development 

That no competition thing is stupid too 

It looks like they want to show more people playing for the sake of it but not many will become nrl players 

Leave it as is.  Survival of the fittest 

Edited by aj1908
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

This is causing widespread outrage in Australia. People saying that they won’t let their kids play. Once again rugby league is trying to appeal to people who don’t have an interest to begin with

Yes the soccer mums 

This is what regularly happens at junior rugby (see link below) ....which isn't good for either the player himself (in learning how to "play" the game) nor the opponents - and their parents (for maintaining an interest in the game).

Of course some of the parents of his team are delighted he is playing like that and you can hear them encouraging him (ie That's that "win at all costs" attitude).

By the way, the title of the video is not mine .... it is disgraceful actually to refer to a youngster like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVb2YKJkis

Edited by RL does what Sky says

17 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I also agree with the second part (no competitive games until 13) as it is often the coaches and the parents on the touchline who are more bothered about "winning at all costs" rather than letting the kids just enjoy the game and just giving them a chance to learn the skills.

It's not often I agree with you, but I'm with you 100% on this. I've seen some pretty disgusting behaviour from adults at kids sport events and it is always based around competition, and very very rarely from the kids.  

Kids shouldn't be playing in toxic atmospheres that some adults create because they see winning, or their kid scoring most tries that year as the most important thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

These all sound stupid 

They can play touch or tag versions if they are afraid of tackling 

The high attrition rate is bc it's a tough sport to play and not every kid can handle this.  Trying to sugar coat it wont stop them playing

Tackling is important in league so stopping this just retards their development 

That no competition thing is stupid too 

It looks like they want to show more people playing for the sake of it but not many will become nrl players 

Leave it as is.  Survival of the fittest 

I suppose we could say to ignore them or dismiss them is also the same.

The game is tough enough.  Kids playing the game do not need a tougher kid hammering them in the tackle.  We just need them playing and the game naturally gives them more agressive attributes.  Not through being able to stand toe to toe swinging punches, but determination to commit to a tackle, bust through a space, pass when theyre falling to the ground, getting up off the floor to support their mate.

Kids develop in different stages.  We should accomodate that.  A powerful kid at 6,7 or 8 doesnt always remain that way.  More often others grow bigger, faster and more skilful as they age. 

Getting more kids playing the game is the objective.  Having others knock the hell out of them isnt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I suppose we could say to ignore them or dismiss them is also the same.

The game is tough enough.  Kids playing the game do not need a tougher kid hammering them in the tackle.  We just need them playing and the game naturally gives them more agressive attributes.  Not through being able to stand toe to toe swinging punches, but determination to commit to a tackle, bust through a space, pass when theyre falling to the ground, getting up off the floor to support their mate.

Kids develop in different stages.  We should accomodate that.  A powerful kid at 6,7 or 8 doesnt always remain that way.  More often others grow bigger, faster and more skilful as they age. 

Getting more kids playing the game is the objective.  Having others knock the hell out of them isnt.

I'd kids aren't learning to tackle it's just stupid 

Same as not teaching kids to win games 

Only the best players will make the nrl 

I doubt these proposals will add to the pool of.nrl players

It will just add padding to junior numbers so the arlc.can claim growth in juniors 

These kids who don't like tackling will just leave the game later.now 

As I said there are other.versions of the game that don't have tackling like touch or tag 

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

In the late 1980s / early 1990s there was a Greater Manchester Junior League (u-8s to u-14s).

One of the rules was that if any parent on the touchline shouted any derogatory comment about an opposition player, a referee or even about the way his own team were playing then the game was immediately stopped by the referee and a penalty given to the opposition irrespective of who had possession at that time.

After a week or so then the rule very rarely had to be enforced.

I think that message was delayed in getting across to the Humberside League.  Maybe mid to late 90's and then the introduction of the rope and Respect bibs.

The age Group suggestion isnt a bad idea either.  I would have used a 6 month rule instead of 3 though.

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I'd kids aren't learning to tackle it's just stupid 

Same as not teaching kids to win games 

Only the best players will make the nrl 

I doubt these proposals will add to the pool of.nrl players

It will just add padding to junior numbers so the arlc.can claim growth in juniors 

These kids who don't like tackling will just leave the game later.now 

As I said there are other.versions of the game that don't have tackling like touch or tag 

Kids are learning to tackle, but at a later date.  I believe they also produce data that shows this improves correct tackle technique. 

The Aussie players appear to have better tackle technique than British players, so they are trying to improve what they have as well as encouraging kids to play the game.  Its a good initiative.  Its not in the NRLs interest to turn kids away.

They aim is to coach properly, by mentoring and also by following NRL guidelines.  Why wouldnt any parent want their kid to be coached or play to a lesser standard?

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Strange that a basketball player is given airtime.  Desperate media all round in Oz.

48 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Strange that a basketball player is given airtime.  Desperate media all round in Oz.

Huh he's famous 

I'm pleased he cares about this