The NRL season to continue

10 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

They aren't running at break-even and the NRL can go more than a month without playing (and it's probably going to be more than a month BTW), they have got financial reserves (not as big as they should be, but you can thank the clubs for that) but they'd rather keep the losses to a minimum if possible.

It's not really the NRL it's self that they are worried about anyway. The NRL is going to take a massive hit and it'll take time to recover, but unless things are way worse then predicted, it'll be fine. It's the clubs they are worried about, because many of them, probably including your own, are in a position where they can't afford to cancel or postpone a good chunk of the season.

The players can be paid a reduced contract it’s in their agreement agreed to by the Players Union.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

The Australian taxpayer would like to see those more in need get government help instead of sports organisations that are already on big tv deals. Whether or not NRL is first in line to get one or not, it’ll set a precedent whereby every sport should get financial help. How much will that cost? Far better ways to spend taxpayer money in times like these. 

Well whether the Australian taxpayer likes it or not (and frankly I don't particularly like it), the government will throw all their money into fixing the economy first and foremost before they go about helping those most in need, and sport and entertainment is not only a big part of the economy, but it's one of the parts that is going to be hit hardest.

Also the sports organisations we are talking about are huge businesses that tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands to some extent) of people rely on for their livelihoods, so maybe you should stop pretending that the only people hurt by the NRL, AFL, etc, shutting up shop are multi-millionaire football players and take a moment to look at the bigger picture.

13 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

They aren't running at break-even and the NRL can go more than a month without playing (and it's probably going to be more than a month BTW), they have got financial reserves (not as big as they should be, but you can thank the clubs for that) but they'd rather keep the losses to a minimum if possible.

It's not really the NRL it's self that they are worried about anyway. The NRL is going to take a massive hit and it'll take time to recover, but unless things are way worse then predicted, it'll be fine. It's the clubs they are worried about, because many of them, probably including your own, are in a position where they can't afford to cancel or postpone a good chunk of the season.

The first thing the NRL did was cry out for government help. That doesn’t instil much confidence in their financial coffers. Surely they would’ve known that the timing was inappropriate with everything else going on. It suggests to me that the NRL are desperate. 

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

The players can be paid a reduced contract it’s in their agreement agreed to by the Players Union.

What has that got to do with what I posted lol?

But as an aside, I know that, and that is even more of an incentive for the players to go on with the competition. 

2 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Well whether the Australian taxpayer likes it or not (and frankly I don't particularly like it), the government will throw all their money into fixing the economy first and foremost before they go about helping those most in need, and sport and entertainment is not only a big part of the economy, but it's one of the parts that is going to be hit hardest.

Also the sports organisations we are talking about are huge businesses that tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands to some extent) of people rely on for their livelihoods, so maybe you should stop pretending that the only people hurt by the NRL, AFL, etc, shutting up shop are multi-millionaire football players and take a moment to look at the bigger picture.

The economy is made up of many businesses, small and large. Many people will have and will be negatively impacted by the coronavirus. NRL, AFL or any other sports organisation are no more entitled to government help than any other business. This sector of the economy is negligible in the grand scheme of things 

1 minute ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

The first thing the NRL did was cry out for government help. That doesn’t instil much confidence in their financial coffers. Surely they would’ve known that the timing was inappropriate with everything else going on. It suggests to me that the NRL are desperate. 

They did that because V'landys doesn't care about what is and isn't appropriate, he cares about what's going to best suit his agenda.

He's done it before and it's got the results that he wanted, so he's going to try it on again. 

Also, he wants people who don't actually know much about the NRL to think the NRL is desperate, because if it's desperate that is all the more reason to shower them in way more money than they need. Since you are so panicked obviously it's working.

12 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

What has that got to do with what I posted lol?

But as an aside, I know that, and that is even more of an incentive for the players to go on with the competition. 

I vote that you take over the game.

You will sort it out.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

They did that because V'landys doesn't care about what is and isn't appropriate, he cares about what's going to best suit his agenda.

He's done it before and it's got the results that he wanted, so he's going to try it on again. 

Also, he wants people who don't actually know much about the NRL to think the NRL is desperate, because if it's desperate that is all the more reason to shower them in way more money than they need. Since you are so panicked obviously it's working.

I’m not panicked at all. Just don’t think sports should be top of the agenda for government help. At the end of the day, it’s just a game. Times like these puts everything to perspective

2 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

The economy is made up of many businesses, small and large. Many people will have and will be negatively impacted by the coronavirus. NRL, AFL or any other sports organisation are no more entitled to government help than any other business. This sector of the economy is negligible in the grand scheme of things 

Nobody claimed they were more entitled to help then any other business that is hit hard or is struggling, you are reading that into it for yourself, and entertainment and tourism (the two main industries that the NRL are in) are two of the industries that are going to be most effected by a pandemic.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not it's a multi-million dollar business the NRL is just as entitled to financial assistance as any other business that is effected by Covid-19. Whether it's morally wrong for them to be talking about financial assistance now is a total aside that I have no opinion on.

4 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

I’m not panicked at all. Just don’t think sports should be top of the agenda for government help. At the end of the day, it’s just a game. Times like these puts everything to perspective

No it's not, it's a multi-billion dollar industry that at least tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people are reliant on to make ends meet.

The vast majority of those people are not famous sports men or high flying corporate business men that can afford to take a break from work, they are average people like you and me who are just doing what they can to get by, and most of them are going to be really struggling right now.

You wouldn't be so flippant if we were talking about your industry.

7 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Nobody claimed they were more entitled to help then any other business that is hit hard or is struggling, you are reading that into it for yourself, and entertainment and tourism (the two main industries that the NRL are in) are two of the industries that are going to be most effected by a pandemic.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not it's a multi-million dollar business the NRL is just as entitled to financial assistance as any other business that is effected by Covid-19. Whether it's morally wrong for them to be talking about financial assistance now is a total aside that I have no opinion on.

I love my rugby league but when V’landys started saying things like “Australia needs rugby league” and “rugby league is the fabric of Australian society” in context of crying out for government support it certainly suggests that there is a sense of entitlement. Right now, there are more pressing issues that need financial support. NRL is not one of them. 

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

No it's not, it's a multi-billion dollar industry that at least tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people are reliant on to make ends meet.

The vast majority of those people are not famous sports men or high flying corporate business men that can afford to take a break from work, they are average people like you and me who are just doing what they can to get by, and most of them are going to be really struggling right now.

You wouldn't be so flippant if we were talking about your industry.

I beg to differ. Life itself and the welfare of people are more important than a game

2 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

I love my rugby league but when V’landys started saying things like “Australia needs rugby league” and “rugby league is the fabric of Australian society” in context of crying out for government support it certainly suggests that there is a sense of entitlement. Right now, there are more pressing issues that need financial support. NRL is not one of them. 

Again I don't have an opinion on whether or not his timing is insensitive or morally wrong, but aside from being hyperbolic nothing of the substance of what he said is wrong or out of line. 

8 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Again I don't have an opinion on whether or not his timing is insensitive or morally wrong, but aside from being hyperbolic nothing of the substance of what he said is wrong or out of line. 

In your opinion. But Australia doesn’t need rugby league. If anything, rugby league needs Australia 

5 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

I beg to differ. Life itself and the welfare of people are more important than a game

V’landys talking about the NRL potentially getting government assistance isn't affecting anybodies life or their welfare, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Also I'll say it again,  sport may just be a "game" to you, but to a lot of people it's their business and livelihood that they are totally reliant on. 

I also find it hilarious how you are talking about peoples lives and welfare when you are willing to totally blow off a whole industry full of peoples welfare because you think that their business is somehow lesser because it is built around selling games.

I'll say this again as well, if we were talking about your industry, your livelihood, the thing that feeds your kids and pays your bills, you wouldn't be so flippant.

23 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

In your opinion. But Australia doesn’t need rugby league. If anything, rugby league needs Australia 

Do you not know what the word hyperbole means!?

And honestly Australia would be a much darker place without RL, or any other sport for that matter, or movies, video games, and other forms of entertainment. So maybe it's not as much of a stretch as you are trying to make out.

8 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

I kinda back @The Great Dane’s point, whilst perhaps on the surface, V’landys’ comments can appear in appropriate and/or untimely, but those affected in addition to players, coaches and execs also include the casual stadium staff, the security staff and firms, the sole trader food truck operator, the train driver and station staff, the casual match day club staff, the police, the doctors and medical staff and the trainees, the casual apparel staff and businesses, the nearby pubs and cafes and all their casual employees, the tv station employees, cameramen and photographers, journalists...

I really could go on... I probably did ?

The NRL is one of Australia’s greatest stimulants of the economy, especially when considering on a $ for $ basis.

For mine, what he said, didn’t need to be said. He could have had that discussion with the government behind closed doors. As a starter anyway. The Aus government (despite what protests you may hear) are not financial imbeciles.

9 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

V’landys talking about the NRL potentially getting government assistance isn't affecting anybodies life or their welfare, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Also I'll say it again,  sport may just be a "game" to you, but to a lot of people it's their business and livelihood that they are totally reliant on. 

I also find it hilarious how you are talking about peoples lives and welfare when you are willing to totally blow off a whole industry full of peoples welfare because you think that their business is somehow lesser because it is built around selling games.

I'll say this again as well, if we were talking about your industry, your livelihood, the thing that feeds your kids and pays your bills, you wouldn't be so flippant.

You’re entitled to your opinion. Other sports in Australia haven’t gone down the route of begging for funding as of yet. Perhaps they have better contingency plans in place. Nonetheless this is a wake up call and the NRL will need to review its financial decisions when all is said and done 

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I kinda back @The Great Dane’s point, whilst perhaps on the surface, V’landys’ comments can appear in appropriate and/or untimely, but those affected in addition to players, coaches and execs also include the casual stadium staff, the security staff and firms, the sole trader food truck operator, the train driver and station staff, the casual match day club staff, the police, the doctors and medical staff and the trainees, the casual apparel staff and businesses, the nearby pubs and cafes and all their casual employees, the tv station employees, cameramen and photographers, journalists...

The NRL is one of Australia’s greatest stimulants of the economy, especially when considering on a $ for $ basis.

For mine, what he said, didn’t need to be said. He could have had that discussion with the government behind closed doors. As a starter anyway. The Aus government (despite what protests you may hear) are not financial imbeciles.

Point noted 

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You're not "kinda" agreeing with me, you are totally agreeing with me lol. 

6 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

You’re entitled to your opinion. Other sports in Australia haven’t gone down the route of begging for funding as of yet. Perhaps they have better contingency plans in place. Nonetheless this is a wake up call and the NRL will need to review its financial decisions when all is said and done 

Other sports haven't gone down the route of publicly asking for money yet, however I'd bet you anything that most of them are quietly planing to or are already trying to start talks with the government. With the possible exception of the AFL (it's arguable), all of the other sports 'contingency plans' have been the same as the NRL's,  they either didn't have one or couldn't afford one. Other than just being so rich that you can afford the stoppage, I don't know how you'd have an effective contingency plan for something so unpredictable as a pandemic anyway.

If you really want to be angry at somebody for the NRL not being in a strong position to deal with this then you should be angry at the clubs (and lesser extent players), as they are the ones that forced the ARLC to spend the future fund instead of saving it for a rainy day.

Anyway, at this point all you are doing now is criticising V'landys' tact and not the actual act it's self, and all things considered that seems like an extremely trivial concern to me.

Archived