Some comeback at Fenway Park as the Yankees gave away a three run lead to lose 11-6.

The wildcard race is pretty crazy in the AL with even the Orioles potentially in contention despite being bottom of the AL East.

In the NL it’ll be interesting to see if the Mets can hold off Atlanta to win the NL East.

On the eve of the All Star festivities there are reports that Juan Soto could become available in a trade.

The Washington Nationals superstar outfielder has turned down a $440m package to stay there and the team will now apparently listen to offers.

Could prove a valuable addition to the teams making a championship run this year.

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

Do they play international’s in baseball and does it last longer than a game of American Football. I haven’t watched more than 5mins of a game, it’s just not cricket.

Its ' Rounders ' for men in tights 😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well, you asked do they play internationals?

There must be a motivation behind that so it’s not unreasonable to ask is it?

That is fair enough Gref i was wondering because i can’t imagine American Football having many international’s. That got me thinking if Baseball is in the same position. Id imagine Basketball is played allover the world so they must have internationals. Does the nascar thing go around the world  ?.  

6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

That is fair enough Gref i was wondering because i can’t imagine American Football having many international’s. That got me thinking if Baseball is in the same position. Id imagine Basketball is played allover the world so they must have internationals. Does the nascar thing go around the world  ?.  

You’re right about American Football in a sense that the best NFL players don’t play internationals as such given the skill gap between themselves and places like Europe for example in that sport.

With baseball there are international competitions that would probably be won by the USA everytime if it played its dream team of top players - gingerjon will know more here.  That’s not to say though that the standard in places like Japan where baseball is very popular isn’t very high because it is - although the top Japanese players usually try their hand in the MLB in North America.

Not sure that NASCAR does field events outside the USA.

We’ve got to do something in rugby league to make sure the Australians don’t get so far ahead of us they never want to play tests again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

Basketball has an eye watering amount of internationals once you look into it.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You’re right about American Football in a sense that the best NFL players don’t play internationals as such given the skill gap between themselves and places like Europe for example in that sport.

With baseball there are international competitions that would probably be won by the USA everytime if it played its dream team of top players - gingerjon will know more here.  That’s not to say though that the standard in places like Japan where baseball is very popular isn’t very high because it is - although the top Japanese players usually try their hand in the MLB in North America.

Not sure that NASCAR does field events outside the USA.

We’ve got to do something in rugby league to make sure the Australians don’t get so far ahead of us they never want to play tests again.

What type of crowds do they get at baseball. The only thing i know about it is it was played during the American Civil War. Was it the confederates whom used to try and steal the balls from the union soldiers whenever they got the chance because they had better quality ones ?. 

22 minutes ago, Josef K said:

What type of crowds do they get at baseball. The only thing i know about it is it was played during the American Civil War. Was it the confederates whom used to try and steal the balls from the union soldiers whenever they got the chance because they had better quality ones ?. 

There’s quite a bit of variance on attendance:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

For a traditional rivalry like Red Sox-Yankees or Dodgers-Giants then you’re talking sell out or close to it.

For a team out of contention playing an afternoon match (about 6pm our time) then the home crowd will be much lower.

It is a long season though with many home games.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 21:52, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s quite a bit of variance on attendance:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

For a traditional rivalry like Red Sox-Yankees or Dodgers-Giants then you’re talking sell out or close to it.

For a team out of contention playing an afternoon match (about 6pm our time) then the home crowd will be much lower.

It is a long season though with many home games.

I looked how many games they play in a season, ruddy hell i wouldn’t like to buy a season ticket. 

• Haha 1

Blue Jays move into 5th spot with a innings score of 28 runs.

Rangers  (30)  

Red Sox   (29)

Braves     (29

White Sox (29)

Blue Jays  (28)

Not sure who they played.😉

• Sad 1

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego Padres have brought in Juan Soto, Josh Bell and Josh Hader in a couple of huge trades to boost their chances of landing a championship.

Soto is a hitting machine who helped the Washington Nationals to a World Series a few years back.  

Hader is a closing pitcher par excellence who has helped spring the Milwaukee Brewers to first in NL Central.

Bell is less seismic compared to the other two, but still an upgrade on what they had before.

There will be no catching the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West this year, but it’s timely boost for the Padres wildcard chances and playoff hopes.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cubs to play the Cardinals in a two game series at the London stadium next year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/62425930

From the prices last time, I will be in the queue but desperately hoping the system crashes or there are lots and lots of people ahead of me.

It was well north of £200 for a decent seat (which, clearly, enough people paid as I didn't get a sniff).

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

From the prices last time, I will be in the queue but desperately hoping the system crashes or there are lots and lots of people ahead of me.

It was well north of £200 for a decent seat (which, clearly, enough people paid as I didn't get a sniff).

That is a lot of money for a sports ticket.

Good luck though!