5 hours ago, Josef K said:

I don’t know anything about baseball but i did see a clip of Ira Kaplan the lead singer of Yo La Tengo (a band that i love) starting off a match in New York. They are huge baseball fans. I think it was the NY Mets, but i haven’t a clue who they played or if they won. 

From wiki: Ira Kaplan and Georgia Hubley formed the band as a couple in 1984. They chose the name Yo La Tengo, Spanish for "I have it". The name came from a baseball anecdote that occurred during the 1962 season, when New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and shortstop Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into Chacón, a Venezuelan who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, "Yo la tengo! Yo la tengo!" instead. 

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are a lot of empty seats if this intro is live!

The intro was not live.

Crowd announced as 54,662.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I went to both games at the Olympic Stadium as we had a blank space  between men's Ashes Tests, Never been abl;e to see MLB live simply because of the clash with the Cricket season.

At a sweltering and humid Olympic Stadium even in the stands a lot of empty seasts were spectators either wandering round the ground, or heading for the stage with armchairs where you could watch the big screen with your back to the actual game.

Not a bad idea because the Olympic Stadium is an appalling viewing stadium and not ideal for a baseball diamond. If you were in the upper tiers you need to bring binoculars.

The game itself on Saturday was one sided and looked the same after Chicago went 4-0 in the first innings but St Louis turned things round winning 7-5

A bigger crowd at the Olympicx Stadium than either side would get back in trhe US and a crowd at least 40% from the US or overseas enthralled no doubt by Nathan Lyon and Jimmy Anderson throwing the first pitches and an appearance by Cubs fan Bill Murray.

Baseball is beginning its journey to broaden its base but it's also a reminder of how long it takes for a transplanted sport to take root. It's 40 years since I saw my first NFL: Pre-season game between Minnisota Vikings and St Louis Cardinals (now Arizona) when I was a teenager, I lived through the first boom in the late 1980's and early 1990's and what it meant was that once the London Monarchs and the World League sufferd its demises there was a fallow decade from 1996 to 2006 when the international series began.

But the NFL had one big advantage when it returned that Baseball, as yet, does not have - Legacy Fans, those with time served in the sport which explains the popularity of teams such as Miami, Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers and the Dallas Cowboys in the UK fanbase all teams that were popular in the 1980's.

It takes time money and effort to transplant a sport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

As it's July 4th, there are games all day long and they are all free on MLB TV - accessible directly from www.mlb.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As it's July 4th, there are games all day long and they are all free on MLB TV - accessible directly from www.mlb.com.

What time do the games start? I'm down in London near the Olympic stadium as it happens and was going to pop into the batting cage bar in Westfield after work. Might catch a game in there. Might have a cheesesteak who knows.

Edited by DI Keith Fowler
  • Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

33 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

What time do the games start? I'm down in London near the Olympic stadium as it happens and was going to pop into the batting cage bar in Westfield after work. Might catch a game in there. Might have a cheesesteak who knows.

The first one looks like it gets going around 4pm our time and then on from there until midnight.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

OK we've got Red Sox - Rangers on. Red Sox London supporters club being in probably factored.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Watching Orioles Vs Yankees.

Our eldest granddaughter lives in Colorado Springs. Looking for a team there to follow, I came across the Rocky Mountain Vibes.

You think we have problems with team names? How about this from Wikipedia.

"A contest to determine the Pioneer League franchise's new name was announced in June 2018. The five finalists in the name-the-team contest were "Colorado Springs Happy Campers", "Colorado Springs Lamb Chops", "Colorado Springs Punchy Pikas", "Colorado Springs Throttle Jockeys", and "Rocky Mountain Oysters". The team's name, "Rocky Mountain Vibes", was announced on November 19, 2018. Though not one of the finalists, the name is related to the proposed Happy Campers moniker in reference to the happy feelings or "good vibes" one may feel when enjoying outdoor activities."

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Watching Orioles Vs Yankees.

Our eldest granddaughter lives in Colorado Springs. Looking for a team there to follow, I came across the Rocky Mountain Vibes.

You think we have problems with team names? How about this from Wikipedia.

"A contest to determine the Pioneer League franchise's new name was announced in June 2018. The five finalists in the name-the-team contest were "Colorado Springs Happy Campers", "Colorado Springs Lamb Chops", "Colorado Springs Punchy Pikas", "Colorado Springs Throttle Jockeys", and "Rocky Mountain Oysters". The team's name, "Rocky Mountain Vibes", was announced on November 19, 2018. Though not one of the finalists, the name is related to the proposed Happy Campers moniker in reference to the happy feelings or "good vibes" one may feel when enjoying outdoor activities."

Go to the Minor League Baseball website and look up the nicknames.

You will be there all day.

Sincerely,

The Hickory Crawdads

Never got into baseball, but went to the Sunday game at West Ham (Cubs v Cardinals). I got into it more once I better understood the rules. I don't have any big urge to go again - I probably would if I lived in London and it was on my doorstep - but I'm glad I did it once.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first time this play has been seen in major league baseball since 1884.

(It's an 8-3-5 triple play)

And Boston are in yellow and blue because they drew a short straw in the City Connect uniforms. The Cubs also have a terrible one. Baltimore, the White Sox, Miami and others have beautiful ones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody does the kind of stuff better than the Americans, and the best Americans doing this stuff are doing it for baseball clips ...

• 1 month later...

All four division series games are on the BBC Red Button and iPlayer - starting with Texas at Baltimore now.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@gingerjon

Have you spotted the below article on Japanese baseball:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/05/osakas-baseball-underdogs-hope-one-more-win-will-lift-curse-of-kfc

Hanshin Tigers on the brink of capturing the much heralded title of Nippon ichi (Japan’s no.1).

Its going to game 7 against Osaka rivals Orix Buffaloes now.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well Major League Baseball regular season 2024 is underway.

The star studded LA Dodgers are playing the once star studded San Diego Padres over in South Korea for a special opening series.

Game 2 is live now on TNT Sport 2 and the (visitor) Padres are winning 12-8 in the top of the 7th with bases loaded and two outs.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

Oh blimey. Time to decide whether to restart paying for TNT or just go for an MLBTV subscription so I can see the games I actually want to see. 

Any tips welcome. Think I'd like to watch games on demand between 6pm and 11pm in the week and any time at the weekend. Probably just those of my chosen team (which will be the Padres) and any other interesting games as and when.

10 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

Oh blimey. Time to decide whether to restart paying for TNT or just go for an MLBTV subscription so I can see the games I actually want to see. 

Any tips welcome. Think I'd like to watch games on demand between 6pm and 11pm in the week and any time at the weekend. Probably just those of my chosen team (which will be the Padres) and any other interesting games as and when.

I’m going to stick with TNT offering as my interest level is pretty casual.

As a fan I’ve been dipping in and out since the 1980s gradually increasing my knowledge of the sport.

The only drawback to this I guess is I will mainly be watching the early games on the east coast and central.

I’ll probably miss out then on seeing the development of the west coast based teams unless they’re visiting the east.

My main teams are the Red Sox in the AL and the Cubs in the NL after seeing them play in the 90s at Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

• Like 1