RL in Scotland

Edinburgh is only a rugby union city for a handful of Six Nations days and, in recent years, the Edinburgh-Glasgow game. 

As @iffleyox points out, that doesn’t even extend to anything like the full city either. I’d go as far to say that Edinburgh probably has as stark a contrast as anywhere in the UK between the haves and have nots, particularly with a population not that much bigger than any number of English towns. 

45 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Edinburgh is only a rugby union city for a handful of Six Nations days and, in recent years, the Edinburgh-Glasgow game. 

As @iffleyox points out, that doesn’t even extend to anything like the full city either. I’d go as far to say that Edinburgh probably has as stark a contrast as anywhere in the UK between the haves and have nots, particularly with a population not that much bigger than any number of English towns. 

Its population is about half a million and only about 100K less than Glasgow.

As I said most of Scotland only thinks 1 sport exists but in Edinburgh some people have actually seen a rugby shaped ball.

I dont think RL would ever take off in Scotland so if not Edinburgh maybe a real working class town like say Dundee may be an option - or try Wales again.....

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

As I said most of Scotland only thinks 1 sport exists but in Edinburgh some people have actually seen a rugby shaped ball.

I dont think RL would ever take off in Scotland so if not Edinburgh maybe a real working class town like say Dundee may be an option - or try Wales again.....

It doesn’t have to be the bigger towns, where there are already established clubs in other sports (namely football but also Union). Other places without top teams might be a better bet. 

Edinbrugh Eagles played in and won the North East Rugby League Men's open age league/championship last season and I belive were due to take part again this season and Strathmore SIlverbacks have been involved in the Cup competition in recent years.

15 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

That’s because most of Glasgow’s population technically lives outside the city, its very similar to Manchester in that regard.  For example I live in Bearsden which is classed as East Dunbartonshire, but only 10 minutes and 5 miles from the city centre.  The population within 30 mins of the city centre is closer to 3 million.

2 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

That’s because most of Glasgow’s population technically lives outside the city, its very similar to Manchester in that regard.  For example I live in Bearsden which is classed as East Dunbartonshire, but only 10 minutes and 5 miles from the city centre.  The population within 30 mins of the city centre is closer to 3 million.

3 million within 30 miles if the centre?? I would very much doubt that - the population of the whole of Scotland is only about 5.4 million.

If you include greater Glasgow and greater Edinburgh you may get close to 3 million.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

3 million within 30 miles if the centre?? I would very much doubt that - the population of the whole of Scotland is only about 5.4 million.

If you include greater Glasgow and greater Edinburgh you may get close to 3 million.

Not that I live here or anything.

City Size and Population Density

Glasgow has an estimated population of 596,000, which is little changed from 595,000 in 2012 and 593,000 in 2011. Glasgow has a population density of 3,400 people per square kilometer, which makes it the most densely populated city in Scotland. The larger Greater Glasgow area has an estimated population of 1.2 million, while the region surrounding the conurbation has about 2.8 million residents. This represents about 42% of the population of Scotland. Additionally, the city proper takes 175 square kilometers of area (approximately 68 square miles), while the metro area expands out to 3,338 square kilometers (about 1,289 square miles).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/glasgow-population/

14 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

Not that I live here or anything.

City Size and Population Density

Glasgow has an estimated population of 596,000, which is little changed from 595,000 in 2012 and 593,000 in 2011. Glasgow has a population density of 3,400 people per square kilometer, which makes it the most densely populated city in Scotland. The larger Greater Glasgow area has an estimated population of 1.2 million, while the region surrounding the conurbation has about 2.8 million residents. This represents about 42% of the population of Scotland. Additionally, the city proper takes 175 square kilometers of area (approximately 68 square miles), while the metro area expands out to 3,338 square kilometers (about 1,289 square miles).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/glasgow-population/

So not 3 million within the 30 miles - well done admitting your mistake marra.

?????

Archived