Fri 26 Jun: NRL: Sydney Roosters v St George Illawarra Dragons KO 10.55am BST (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sydney Roosters
    • St George Illawarra Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/06/20 at 10:30

I'm reading/posting on the match thread in the Aussie forum again, now that various regulars have drifted back. Anyway, this was a treat to watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another big win for the Roosters, to lose one player to an ACL is unfortunate but to lose Victor Radley and Sam Verrils well that brings the pitch into question does it not . Wotta a second try from the Roosters almost a good as the one in Wests v Gold Coast, Depleted under pressure, dodgy pitch but a win - that is the Roosters way under Trent Robinson.

Poor Jason Saab now on his third request to drive out of SGI with the club having put the breaks on and no sign of a u-turn. The young winger seems to be upping the gears now and like many a Dragon in the McGregor era looking to put the club in the rear view mirror.

And who could blame him, the best chance SGI will have of defeating the Roosters in the longest of times was today and yet you get whinging and griping at each other and the ref. 8 minutes to go your 8 points behind and Jake Friend kicks to the sidelines -you run and form  the scrum don't you to stop the clock - unless your the Dragons that is...

These Dragons have no fire in their belies #pullthe pin SackMcGregor.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

But I am not sure if many English fans realise the the Roosters are widely despised in Australia for buying players developed elsewhere and have little or no Junior Clubs or Rugby League development in their area.

Its an area that Blue collar Rugby League fans left about 90 years ago.

Most appreciate they are a great Team and are as good as plenty of money can buy.

There best player is their Accountant and third party sponsorship manager.

spacer.png

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Didn’t think that was a bad effort from the Dragons . Definitely a better unit than the basket case of a few weeks back . Obviously just miss some class where it matters . The rookie halfback is neat and tidy but isn’t doing anything out of the ordinary , and it puts Hunt in perspective . As for Norman , he’s the main man now but is just treading water in his career . Dufty is stepping forward as the bright spark. Roosters are a great unit , grind away then just strike with moments of top quality - you think you’re in it and then bang bang , you’re not . Sign of a very good side . Add in overcoming real adversity . First thing I thought when that match came on was that the pitch looked poor . Whether it had a bearing on injuries I don’t know but it was very patchy . More than anything though I’m absolutely gutted for my man Victor . The NRL is a less good watch without him in it

Have those injuries been confirmed as ACL season ending ones? 

I wasn’t convinced Radley’s was. Usually if you do tear your Anterior cruciate, you’re in agony and can’t walk or put any weight on it. That wasn’t the case with Radley, it looked like it could’ve just been a sprain of the ACL or a medial ligament damaged. Fingers crossed anyway

I have to finally admit that I think Ryan Hall is well past his best now. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as I really wanted him to succeed in NRL but he just looks a shadow of his former self. I thought he was on the wane in his final season at Leeds and then the ACL and he just doesn’t very mobile now or confident 

On 26/06/2020 at 08:23, Allora said:

Off topic.

But I am not sure if many English fans realise the the Roosters are widely despised in Australia for buying players developed elsewhere and have little or no Junior Clubs or Rugby League development in their area.

Its an area that Blue collar Rugby League fans left about 90 years ago.

Most appreciate they are a great Team and are as good as plenty of money can buy.

There best player is their Accountant and third party sponsorship manager.

Absolutely wrong. The Sydney Roosters' success comes from having an outstanding Chairman named Nick Polites, and an outstanding coach named Trent Robinson. It is these two men who have judiciously assembled an outstanding team of highly talented players, which may win three Grand Finals in a row.

10 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Absolutely wrong. Their success comes from having an outstanding Chairman named Nick Polites, and an outstanding coach named Trent Robinson. It is these two men who have judiciously assembled an outstanding team of highly talented players, which may win three Grand Finals in a row.

Its Nick Politis.
Eastern Suburbs / Roosters / Sydney City have hardly any junior teams, they do not generate many if any new first grade players into our game.

They buy players that are developed elsewhere its a fact and has been a fact for decades.

They have a team that can not in any fair minded fans opinion fit under the Salary Cap.

It has been going on for decades.

You probably know more than I do Manfred.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 27/06/2020 at 08:51, Allora said:

Its Nick Politis.
Eastern Suburbs / Roosters / Sydney City have hardly any junior teams, they do not generate many if any new first grade players into our game.

They buy players that are developed elsewhere its a fact and has been a fact for decades.

They have a team that can not in any fair minded fans opinion fit under the Salary Cap.

It has been going on for decades.

You probably know more than I do Manfred.

You are correct on one point you made: I probably know more than you do.

The Sydney Roosters have few junior teams. However the Roosters junior teams have produced some excellent current first grade players, such as the much admired Victor Radley (Clovelly Crocodiles), Angus Crichton, Lachlan Lam, Sandor Earl,  and James Tamou, as well as former stars Ferris Ashton, Kevin Junee, Johnny Mayes, John Peard, Kevin Hastings, Craig Field, Ian Rubin, Bryan Fletcher, Ryan Cross, Luke Ricketson, Jim Dymock, Blake Ayshford, and Craig  Salvatori. 

As for the salary cap, nobody has ever produced any evidence of salary cap violations by the Sydney Roosters. However it has been proven that other NRL clubs such as the Melbourne Storm, Cronulla Sharks, and the Parramatta Eels, have been in violation of the NRL salary cap in previous years. That is why the Sydney Roosters, who have won three Premierships in seven years (2013, 2018, 2019), is a club to be admired for its culture of professional excellence and scrupulous honesty.

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I have to finally admit that I think Ryan Hall is well past his best now. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as I really wanted him to succeed in NRL but he just looks a shadow of his former self. I thought he was on the wane in his final season at Leeds and then the ACL and he just doesn’t very mobile now or confident 

Agreed . The injury looks to have really blunted him and affected his confidence. In no way at all can he be considered for international football 

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The Sydney Roosters have few junior teams. However the Roosters junior teams have produced some excellent current first grade players, such as the much admired Victor Radley (Clovelly Crocodiles), Angus Crichton, Lachlan Lam, Sandor Earl,  and James Tamou, as well as former stars Ferris Ashton, Kevin Junee, Johnny Mayes, John Peard, Kevin Hastings, Craig Field, Ian Rubin, Bryan Fletcher, Ryan Cross, Luke Ricketson, Jim Dymock, Blake Ayshford, and Craig  Salvatori. 

As for the salary cap, nobody has ever produced any evidence of salary cap violations by the Sydney Roosters. However it has been proven that other NRL clubs such as the Melbourne Storm, Cronulla Sharks, and the Parramatta Eels, have been in violation of the NRL salary cap in previous years. That is why the Sydney Roosters, who have won three Premierships in seven years (2013, 2018, 2019), is a club to be admired for its culture of professional excellence and scrupulous honesty.

You are obviously having a laugh.

They must have a very good Financial team managing their Salary Cap.

You can only name a handful of players and some of them are that old they have passed away.

Angus Crichton was a Rugby Union player before getting involved with Roosters as an 18 year.

Some big name in your list Sandor Earl, Ian Rubin, Blake Ayshford ??

Your style of writing reminds me of another poster, Jean Capdouze from from RLfans forum?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 27/06/2020 at 18:17, Allora said:

You are obviously having a laugh.

They must have a very good Financial team managing their Salary Cap.

You can only name a handful of players and some of them are that old they have passed away.

Angus Crichton was a Rugby Union player before getting involved with Roosters as an 18 year.

Some big name in your list Sandor Earl, Ian Rubin, Blake Ayshford ??

Your style of writing reminds me of another poster, Jean Capdouze from from RLfans forum?

I have only named the most famous products of the Eastern Suburbs junior system who have starred over the years. There are many others whom I didn’t mention.

You are wrong on many other points in your post. Angus Crichton was an Eastern  Suburbs junior in 2014, before he decided to play rugby union. Your attempt to belittle certain other players is unwarranted. Sandor Earl, who is a shoe in for the Hungarian national team, played for Sydney Roosters, Penrith Panthers, and especially Canberra Raiders. He was a star of the NRL before a drug conviction saw him banned for two years. He is now in the playing squad of the top four elite club Melbourne Storm. Ian Rubin, who led the Russian national team in the 2000 World Cup, was a regular first grade prop with the Sydney Roosters.

Archived