Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Will Ottawa become France's 3rd pro team?

39 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

What I was attempting to say U.P.  , was that , were the last two sentences of your response meant to provide an example of the first. Obviously not . By the way , I thought that words like `preposterous` went out with Robert Morley .P.G. Wodehouse and maybe Oscar Wilde. LOL (I use that last acronym to show that I am having  bit of fun with you)

If I turn my head slightly from the computer I can see the complete works of Oscar peeping out from the bookcase.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If I turn my head slightly from the computer I can see the complete works of Oscar peeping out from the bookcase.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"

Very good, I think that was said when he was down and out in Paris and not long after on his deathbed stated " Well, it`s either me or the wallpaper , one of us has to go " . However my favourite Wilde quote (and aren`t there many)  is that  " Punctuality is the thief of time".

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

What I was attempting to say U.P.  , was that , were the last two sentences of your response meant to provide an example of the first. Obviously not . By the way , I thought that words like `preposterous` went out with Robert Morley .P.G. Wodehouse and maybe Oscar Wilde. LOL (I use that last acronym to show that I am having  bit of fun with you)

Fun fact about P.G. Wodehouse, and just about germane to this thread about how best to spread RL.

He sometimes refers to the round ball game as "Association" whence cometh the term Soccer. I have heard some New Zealanders refer to RL as "League Football" which has a similar premise to "Association Football". Because of our League/Union split and the tension over the word "Rugby", we forget that our dilemma in England is ultimately due to another game collaring the generic title "Football".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Fun fact about P.G. Wodehouse, and just about germane to this thread about how best to spread RL.

He sometimes refers to the round ball game as "Association" whence cometh the term Soccer. I have heard some New Zealanders refer to RL as "League Football" which has a similar premise to "Association Football". Because of our League/Union split and the tension over the word "Rugby", we forget that our dilemma in England is ultimately due to another game collaring the generic title "Football".

My last post on this somewhat slightly wayward diversion, but you mean to say that the word ` soccer` derives from the word  `association`. Fascinating.

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

Do you have drink-driving laws ?

Pretty tough ones actually, plus lots of police check stops on weekends. Here we value our designated drivers.

32 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Pretty tough ones actually, plus lots of police check stops on weekends. Here we value our designated drivers.

As someone who hasn't had a drink in a dozen years, this has become my second job these days 🙂

Been thinking about possible public appearances by local celebs at Canadian RL games.

For Toronto, top of my list would be Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

Is there anyone famous from Ottawa? I mean globally. If not we could make do with French disco ensemble Ottawan, who had a couple of big hits with "D.I.S.C.O." and "Hands up (give me your heart)".

16 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Been thinking about possible public appearances by local celebs at Canadian RL games.

Is there anyone famous from Ottawa? I mean globally. If not we could make do with French disco ensemble Ottawan, who had a couple of big hits with "D.I.S.C.O." and "Hands up (give me your heart)".

https://youtu.be/NPcyTyilmYY

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Matthew Perry from Friends and Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy are from Ottawa! 

9 minutes ago, avry said:

Matthew Perry from Friends and Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy are from Ottawa! 

You could definitely have a Killing Eve themed Ottawa shirt 

Given the French flavour to Ottawa RL, I do hope that nobody starts harping on about the iniquities of Vichy.

It would be a terrible shame if more people got to know about Petain, and Nazi collaboration, and the theft of assets, and the seizure of grounds, and the confiscation of equipment, and the forced conversions, and the blacklisting, and the failure to make any amends.

RL fans should only broach such matters with the utmost reluctance and a heavy heart.

43 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Given the French flavour to Ottawa RL, I do hope that nobody starts harping on about the iniquities of Vichy.

It would be a terrible shame if more people got to know about Petain, and Nazi collaboration, and the theft of assets, and the seizure of grounds, and the confiscation of equipment, and the forced conversions, and the blacklisting, and the failure to make any amends.

RL fans should only broach such matters with the utmost reluctance and a heavy heart.

Not to steer this too much into a political or historical thread but Canada has many of its own transgressions in its history related to oppression, seizure of grounds and forced conversions when it comes to its First Nations, Inuit and Metis people.

I highly doubt people here are going to turn their nose up at RL based on your above statements.

8 hours ago, freddyyow said:

Not to steer this too much into a political or historical thread but Canada has many of its own transgressions in its history related to oppression, seizure of grounds and forced conversions when it comes to its First Nations, Inuit and Metis people.

I highly doubt people here are going to turn their nose up at RL based on your above statements.

This is my fault entirely. I ought to have realised that on this thread there might be some members unfamiliar with the history.

If I`m reading your post accurately, freddyyow, all I can say is that the story of French Rugby League is well worth looking in to. And in turn I`ll do some research on the indigenous topics you`ve raised, which sound interesting.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

On 15/07/2020 at 20:14, freddyyow said:

Just to point out he is talking about what RU did to Rugby League, not anything that Rugby League did wrong!

• Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 21:32, unapologetic pedant said:

Tom Cruise

Ryan Renolds

Matthew Perry

Ryan Gosling

Cruise/Renolds did live in Ottawa for a while Perry has spent time in Ottawa i think he still has family here and Gosling is from Cornwall just 40 mins from Ottawa.

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Just to point out he is talking about what RU did to Rugby League, not anything that Rugby League did wrong!

Had to read freddyyow`s post several times to check it wasn`t double irony. Still not 100% sure. Thought it best to err on the safe side.