Play-off structures for League 1 and Championship announced

54 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Both stadia where Widnes and Halifax play are owned by the local councils.

Recently,Widnes owed their council a lot of money.

The RFL don't have a great deal of spare money to rent stadia.

But surely if you're seeing a stadium over 50% full that's going to be enough to pay a rental on a 12,000 capacity ?

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You'd hope so, plus we should be renting a stadium that can be filled for this finals day. I have to hope that if we gave several months notice that we could shift 10,000 tickets at Widnes or Fax (Or Salford stadium that holds 12,000) Would've thought next year councils would just be grateful for the cash tbh. 

I have attended a few Championship GFs as a neutral , but there aren't a lot who do  , so it will always be dependent on the fan base of the competing teams , and the prize for the winner 

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'm always in favour of promotion so that has to be the prize and I wouldn't have French teams in Championship anyway but yes appreciate that there's a luck of the draw. But looking at Champ this year: Fev, Bradford, Fax , York, Broncos. We'd have to think getting 10,000 is doable. 

Broncos would be the fly in the ointment, they couldn't summon up 4,000 speccies if it was played in London and free entry was given, both competing finalists would have to contribute to the attendance to get the 10,000, but yes very doable.

Both the 2009 and 2010 Finals that Fax played in averaged about 10k with just over 11k V Barrow and about 9.5k against Fev. At that time I don't believe any of those teams were averaging more than about 2.5k at the homes games but I can't for the life in me remember if there were other games on those days. It shows it can be done but like mentioned unfortunatley when you get Toulouse or London in the mix 10k will not be achievable. This season I don't see Toulouse seeing the season out and don't think London will be strong enough so a Fev V York final I would expect a chance of filling one of the smaller stadiums like the ones mentioned.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Both the 2009 and 2010 Finals that Fax played in averaged about 10k with just over 11k V Barrow and about 9.5k against Fev. At that time I don't believe any of those teams were averaging more than about 2.5k at the homes games but I can't for the life in me remember if there were other games on those days. It shows it can be done but like mentioned unfortunatley when you get Toulouse or London in the mix 10k will not be achievable. This season I don't see Toulouse seeing the season out and don't think London will be strong enough so a Fev V York final I would expect a chance of filling one of the smaller stadiums like the ones mentioned.

Yes mate, there was. 

2010 - York and Workington, then Fev & Fax. Same the year after. 

Not sure if there was a 3rd game.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Championship should be 2 up this year. League leaders up by 'right', then a play off between 2nd place to 6th.

That will then balance up P&R from 2022 onwards.

I remember Leigh Beating Whitehaven in 2004 and what a game that was. That was a sell out and even though I was completely drunk, pretty sure Widnes was only 3 sided then. 11000+ on.

The Championship GF should be played at the LSV. Neutral venue with a 12k capacity. Would be a wonderful spectacle on TV. 

I think Leigh or S*lford are ideal venues for the play off finals. It gives no advantage to any Championship side by the home venue being a Championship club. Like somebody said, NCL, League 1 and the Championship. Obviously, I fancy Swinton to break the Top 6, we keep being written off, but we have a decent side. We won't win it, but we can get 6th. 

7 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

I remember Leigh Beating Whitehaven in 2004 and what a game that was. That was a sell out and even though I was completely drunk, pretty sure Widnes was only 3 sided then. 11000+ on.

What a glorious day that were. I think we saw one of the greatest sporting comebacks that day. 😁

Archived