NRL Match thread Round 4 2021 - Don't forget the Monday game this week

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Panthers looked superb, but how poor were Manly? Struggling to see how they avoid the spoon, even with Tom T to come back in the next couple of weeks. Panthers looked even stronger in the last ten when Staines moved to full back (although I accept that Manly had given up by then). I'd like to see him get a couple of games there whilst Dylan Edwards is out.

3 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

The Panthers looked superb, but how poor were Manly? Struggling to see how they avoid the spoon, even with Tom T to come back in the next couple of weeks. Panthers looked even stronger in the last ten when Staines moved to full back (although I accept that Manly had given up by then). I'd like to see him get a couple of games there whilst Dylan Edwards is out.

A positive in their game today, Manly made fewer handling mistakes than last week. There were still too many  but at least they were trying. Embarrassing performance especially for their head coach who has strong defensive play as his hallmark.

Dogs v Souths Preview

Bulldogs Unavailable: Luke Thompson (Suspended), Jayden Okunbor (Injured), Christian Crichton (Injured), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Injured), Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Suspended), Josh Jackson (Suspended), Jeremy Marshall-King (Injured)

Souths Unavailable: Hame Sele (Injured), Blake Taaffe (Injured), Taane Milne (Injured), Braidon Burns (Injured), Jed Cartwright (Injured), Brock Gardner (Injured), Liam Knight (Injured) Jaxson Paulo (Injured)

It has been a poor start for new Canterbury Bulldogs head coach Trent Barrett. Things could be about to get worse as they face South Sydney Rabbitohs in what could be a big score. The Bulldogs have been kept scoreless in back-to-back games and the Rabbitohs will be trying to make it three in a row.
The Bunnies were very good in their win over Sydney Roosters last week and with a huge gulf in form between the two teams, Souths can make Canterbury suffer in this one.

Melbourne v Brisbane Preview:

Storm Unavailable: Harry Grant (Injured), Dale Finucane (Injured), Max King (Injured), Brenko Lee (Injured), Felise Kaufusi (Suspended) 

Broncos Unavailable: Kotoni Staggs (Injured), Jesse Arthars (Injured), Dale Copley (Injured)

Brisbane Broncos  finally ended their terrible losing streak at 13 matches with a win over Canterbury Bulldogs last week. Broncos were also able to nil their opponents.

This week they face Melbourne, the reigning premiers. The Storm were beaten for the second game in a row last week. They allowed a late try to concede the lead and with it being extremely rare for Melbourne to lose three in a row, they should come out on top in this one. Craig Bellamy was rather annoyed,in his own reserved and quiet way, at how his side threw the lead away last week. You can safely bet he will expect a lot more from his side this week.

I don't want to make excuses because we still need to be better but we had 6 out today and lost another 3 in game including our five eight after 5 mins. We had one half back, a backup hooker playing at 6 and a young back rower making his debut playing 9 all game. For a team that already has very little quality depth we're never going to compete with so many out against a team aiming for a top 2 finish this year.

Also at 20-0 they had scored 3 breakaway tries and we had been held up a metre short 3 times. The score didn't reflect the effort but it's an indication of where we are and the work that needs to be done.

The biggest negative I have is that we dominated the first 30 minutes and I don't think a centre got a decent pass until about the 35th. There was no balance in our play.

I did like Allen at centre and Cotric back on the wing in the second half though. It looked semi dangerous at times.

But hey, at least it gets easier next week. It's only the Storm 😭

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Archived