I love York's new stadium

So much to reply to...

York City Knights previous financial problems - not entirely sure about that. I recall a previous owner falling out with the council/football club and deciding to pull out. The local media reported it as financial problems, maybe someone who’s followed YCK before 2016 can clarify?

Seat colour - Yes it does look a bit odd but when you’ve played home games at Fev, local amateur clubs and felt like poor neighbours at Bootham Crescent (my opinion) seat colour really isn’t an issue.

Cas and Wakey will never merge, it’s been suggested plenty of times. Agree that a shared stadium in Normanton would make sense but again won’t happen. From a Cas point of view, there are huge barriers/walls between those running the club and the fans which is a shame, in the last full season Cas averaged 7255 and there is no reason why Cas couldn’t work closely with the fans and ‘do a Fev’ (or Batley or Dewsbury) and use voluntary work and expertise to slowly improve their ground. Again it will need a huge shift in attitude between the club and the fans. 

Hull KR - I’m always intrigued that they are one of the first names to be suggested to drop out of SL. Last full season average was 7849, they’ve spent heavily on improving their ground and although they are a bit hit and miss on the pitch they are still much bigger than York or Newcastle.

In the last full season (2019) I’d say York’s home support was about 1800 (average was 2300 ish). There’s no reason why average attendances once fans return at the LNER can’t exceed 4,000. A lot of work still to be done. 

Lastly I’ve not been inside the LNER yet but looking at it from the outside and on TV there’s something about it that just makes it seem a bit more inviting, light and airy (I’m trying not to describe aero bars here). I look at Salford’s ground (I have visited twice) and the inside is just really sterile and cold. Maybe it’s the seat colours after all!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cookey said:

A serious question,which club do you think would add more to Super League,from the point of view of neutrals,broadcasters and main sponsors, York,playing at their new ground or Castleford and Wakefield,playing at their present facilities. I could ask the same question about Newcastle and either Salford or possibly Hull KR.

Dont get me wrong,I like all the existing clubs but more importantly,I want to see RL move forward in it's perception and appeal.

RL ? , Surely a strong York in a nice new stadium in the Championship is great for RL ?

22 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Oh I don’t doubt that for a second marra as I was one of the thousands of Whitehaven fans that attended the protests against the proposed merger with Workington town back in the day but where are the all today??

Haven are lucky if they can muster around 600 fans to the recre and likewise with town at derwent park.

3 separate clubs all but ensure relative endless mid-table and even relegation fights while a one team super club both on and off the field could potentially turn you into genuine contenders.

You ?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The merged team.

Called Featherstone Rovers I presume ? , Because POR is a Featherstone Rovers fan , so unless the merged team was called Featherstone Rovers playing out of Featherstone , it wouldn't be his team 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Called Featherstone Rovers I presume ? , Because POR is a Featherstone Rovers fan , so unless the merged team was called Featherstone Rovers playing out of Featherstone , it wouldn't be his team 

Merging 2 teams is hard enough but merging 3 teams would be almost impossible as I don’t see how you could include featherstone in anyway.

wakefield city tigers could play in featherstone colours I guess??

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Merging 2 teams is hard enough but merging 3 teams would be almost impossible as I don’t see how you could include featherstone in anyway.

So the Wakefield fans might go , if they played in Wakefield , the CAS and Fev fans wouldn't , good way of dropping 8,000 fans from the sport 

36 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Oh I don’t doubt that for a second marra as I was one of the thousands of Whitehaven fans that attended the protests against the proposed merger with Workington town back in the day but where are the all today??

Haven are lucky if they can muster around 600 fans to the recre and likewise with town at derwent park.

3 separate clubs all but ensure relative endless mid-table and even relegation fights while a one team super club both on and off the field could potentially turn you into genuine contenders.

3 separate clubs all but ensure relative endless mid-table and even relegation fights So what real fans couldn't care less they just want to watch THEIR  team win lose or draw yes winning things is nice but it's more important to follow YOUR team 

one team super club both on and off the field could potentially turn you into genuine contenders. HAHAHA you've got really fanciful ideas of what's best for US but the reality of it is NO one here is bothered about  a one team super club and never will 

20 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

No thanks.

2 minutes ago, POR said:

3 separate clubs all but ensure relative endless mid-table and even relegation fights So what real fans couldn't care less they just want to watch THEIR  team win lose or draw yes winning things is nice but it's more important to follow YOUR team 

one team super club both on and off the field could potentially turn you into genuine contenders. HAHAHA you've got really fanciful ideas of what's best for US but the reality of it is NO one here is bothered about  a one team super club and never will 

It’s absolutely your prerogative to support 3 small clubs playing out of 19th century stadiums marra. I just don’t see you all surviving in a league that will eventually see the likes of Toulouse, York and Newcastle etc. That’s all.

47 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

It’s absolutely your prerogative to support 3 small clubs playing out of 19th century stadiums marra. I just don’t see you all surviving in a league that will eventually see the likes of Toulouse, York and Newcastle etc. That’s all.

have you been to any of these stadiums or is it just a guess they are out off date,you are welcome to come and see FEV stadium any time.marra.

12 minutes ago, minor said:

have you been to any of these stadiums or is it just a guess they are out off date,you are welcome to come and see FEV stadium any time.marra.

I don’t need to visit the jungle or Bellevue to see that they are embarrassing dumps as I have eyes marra 😉

As for fev they do indeed have a tidy little stadium but that’s all it will ever be marra, a tiny little stadium in a tiny little town surrounded by 2 super league clubs.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Sadly I agree with you as a large number of RL fans are too short-sighted.

Including the Cumbrian ones , or are people just emotionally connected to their clubs and towns ?

Archived