Another SL restructure is being planned

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

Holding the game back from what exactly? The millions of sports fans clamouring for a licensed and closed shop Super League cut off from the rest of the game? Have you seen the news lately? 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Holding the game back from what exactly? The millions of sports fans clamouring for a licensed and closed shop Super League cut off from the rest of the game? Have you seen the news lately? 

So if Leigh were given a 10-year Super League license, you’d turn it down?

You can argue all you want about geography, tradition, heartlands, structure, P&R, closed shops, licenses, franchises, owners, supporters, attendances, uncle Tom Cobley n all. It is a professional sport and what matters is money, you need to maximise revenues and if you don't get that you don't understand what you are involved in.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Apart from the European Super League and Super League (Europe) having similar names, that’s where the comparisons end. 

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

You can argue all you want about geography, tradition, heartlands, structure, P&R, closed shops, licenses, franchises, owners, supporters, attendances, uncle Tom Cobley n all. It is a professional sport and what matters is money, you need to maximise revenues and if you don't get that you don't understand what you are involved in.

Involved in ? , Are you ' involved in ' ? , Or are you a fan ?

Just now, Man of Kent said:

You’d want Leigh to turn down a license for someone else to take it?

I don't want licensing full stop, doesn't matter whether Leigh were in the lucky 12 or not. Having watched events unfold over the couple of days, I can say I'm in the majority when it comes to the UK/European sporting public.

Any solution to the structure of the game has to encompass all the divisions and provide clear pathways from bottom to top, we've no hope of attracting investment into the game(outside of 12 SL clubs) without it.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Apart from the European Super League and Super League (Europe) having similar names, that’s where the comparisons end. 

I think the visceral reactions of the last 48 hours say everything about what appetite the UK has for an invite only, closed shop competition. Anyone claiming that licensing is a golden ticket idea that will fix the games issues is kidding themselves.

Just now, LeytherRob said:

I think the visceral reactions of the last 48 hours say everything about what appetite the UK has for an invite only, closed shop competition. Anyone claiming that licensing is a golden ticket idea that will fix the games issues is kidding themselves.

So keeping a sport with promotion and relegation with two full time professional sides outside the top flight in the hope people who don’t care about the sport, start caring about the sport is the answer? It’s not. 

The restructure simply has to stop this fallacy of “fairness” when the current set-up, the alleged preferred one, couldn’t be any less fair or helpful to the majority. 

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

All attempts to use P&R to fix the games ills have failed, don't forget the game has had more years without P&R than with it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So keeping a sport with promotion and relegation with two full time professional sides outside the top flight in the hope people who don’t care about the sport, start caring about the sport is the answer? It’s not. 

The restructure simply has to stop this fallacy of “fairness” when the current set-up, the alleged preferred one, couldn’t be any less fair or helpful to the majority. 

Didn't realise there were only 2 options available...

1 minute ago, Padge said:

All attempts to use P&R to fix the games ills have failed, don't forget the game has had more years without P&R than with it.

With one division you don't really need it , do you ?

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Nobody is saying P and R will fix the game , nobody is saying any particular structure will ' fix it ' except those suggesting a closed shop , having P and R means that we are looking for a whole game solution rather than just a SL solution , surely that's what we all want 

42 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Are you the Rugby League spokesman for the Glazier family?

I don’t know of the relevance of the Glazier family. I suspect that the Glazer family might be of greater significance.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Nobody is saying P and R will fix the game , nobody is saying any particular structure will ' fix it ' except those suggesting a closed shop , having P and R means that we are looking for a whole game solution rather than just a SL solution , surely that's what we all want 

How do you implement promotion and relegation on a sport with 14/36 fully professional sides? 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Ohh some car crash Middle 8’s. Let’s do the timewarp again...

I wasn't suggesting middle 8's, only that there are many more options available to the sport than just a very specific scenario in P&R with a couple of FT teams in the championship and a completely closed shop. 

Just now, LeytherRob said:

I wasn't suggesting middle 8's, only that there are many more options available to the sport than just a very specific scenario in P&R with a couple of FT teams in the championship and a completely closed shop. 

Many more? Go on then...

2 hours ago, wasginger said:

Manfred Mann stick to trying to sing, because your ignorance regarding Fev is embarrassing. 

I am not trying to sing. I am playing piano, organ and keyboard. Your ignorance regarding my considerable musical talents is embarrassing.

Stick to defending the obscure, West Yorkshire backwater town of Featherstone. There are so few of you dinosaurs that the Post Office Road manager, security guard, and cleaner are grateful for everyone of you.

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I haven't seen anyone calling for a closed shop.

SL brings in the big money, the games strength, like it or not, is in SL.

If you have a premium product then only a foolish business would try to not maximise what you can get from it.

Archived