Jump to content

Another SL restructure is being planned


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry but your disrespect for proud Rugby League clubs is wrong. I'll leave it to Leigh and Wakefield fans to speak up for their own historic clubs but here's my take on Hull Kingston Rovers. Rov

14 teams. 2 teams to be relegated at seasons end. top 5 playoffs. no more loop fixtures. Thats what I’d like to see 👍

You know what is likely then? 10 teams, more loop fixtures.

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

You started the name calling Oliver. I'm not sure why you think the population of a Borough equates to the catchment of a town in that Borough. Its nonsense, you know its nonsense, people in Wigan and Leigh tell you its nonsense but its just your predicatable anything to pick a fight response.

It matters when you’re talking player pathway, the player pool and of course the catchment. Unbelievably, not everyone lives in the town their club plays in. But yeah, argue that black is white, that’s your game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Toronto had more potential than that lot put together 

Not without a player development structure underneath. 

They toyed with the idea of investing in London Skolars but as usual David Argyle cocked a deaf’un when it came to paying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not without a player development structure underneath. 

They toyed with the idea of investing in London Skolars but as usual David Argyle cocked a deaf’un when it came to paying. 

Ah but the potential is there. Don’t be adding caveats now

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Potential....

Presently, Leigh have more than all three.

Existing in five years should be London’s primary goal and Newcastle and York, unlike in modern Rugby League history, should left to their own devices for now, they’re both some way off Super League in multiple areas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spidey said:

Ah but the potential is there. Don’t be adding caveats now

Toronto having to recruit a squad of ready-made experienced players, paid over the odds, meant their potential was very limited in a salary-capped sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Presently, Leigh have more than all three.

Existing in five years should be London’s primary goal and Newcastle and York, unlike in modern Rugby League history, should left to their own devices for now, they’re both some way off Super League in multiple areas. 

Yeah, OK, so what you mean is Leigh are presently of higher standing than London, York and Newcastle, not that Leigh has greater potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, OK, so what you mean is Leigh are presently of higher standing than London, York and Newcastle, not that Leigh has greater potential.

Potential is subjective and impossible to measure

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, OK, so what you mean is Leigh are presently of higher standing than London, York and Newcastle, not that Leigh has greater potential.

No, Leigh have greater potential. 

London are haemorrhaging fans and have an, at best, unsustainable stadium move ahead of them. Beyond their academy, they have little in the way of potential. We’ve had London for the best part of 15 years in Super League, the games profile has shrunk in that time, I’m not buying “yeah, but if they got investment and got it right”.

Newcastle - have grown as a League One club but didn’t have enough to get promotion on the pitch for a few years. Again, good academy but it’s in its infancy and results in terms of player pathway have been limited. 

York - went bust in the last ten years. Shiny new ground, not a lot else. They’re seen as a metaphorical golden goose, not a lot else. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

You ' seemed ' wrong , gates almost halfed over the licencing period , in the last 20 years Leigh have probably won more RL matches as a ' pro ' club than any other in the world , so just having a winning team in a lower division isn't really an option , we might as well knock 3 of the stands down or play at the Harriers complex next door 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2021 at 04:17, Manfred Mann said:

Hull KR need not be binned by licensing. Why would they be?

Featherstone definitely needs to be binned. I have been to their ground on game day. They have a paltry fan base, and little prospect of good commercial sponsorship in their tiny, nationally unknown social backwater of west Yorkshire.

After Toulouse is highly successful, as they will be, Super League needs to have a future place for Avignon, and perhaps even Paris, Toronto and Ottawa. Featherstone in Super League would be a depressing drag on growth of the game

Are you the Rugby League spokesman for the Glazier family?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You ' seemed ' wrong , gates almost halfed over the licencing period , in the last 20 years Leigh have probably won more RL matches as a ' pro ' club than any other in the world , so just having a winning team in a lower division isn't really an option , we might as well knock 3 of the stands down or play at the Harriers complex next door 

 

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

No , I'm just pointing out your lack of understanding of RL and indeed UK sports fans in general 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

Holding the game back from what exactly? The millions of sports fans clamouring for a licensed and closed shop Super League cut off from the rest of the game? Have you seen the news lately? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Holding the game back from what exactly? The millions of sports fans clamouring for a licensed and closed shop Super League cut off from the rest of the game? Have you seen the news lately? 

So if Leigh were given a 10-year Super League license, you’d turn it down?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can argue all you want about geography, tradition, heartlands, structure, P&R, closed shops, licenses, franchises, owners, supporters, attendances, uncle Tom Cobley n all. It is a professional sport and what matters is money, you need to maximise revenues and if you don't get that you don't understand what you are involved in.

 

  • Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Holding the game back from what exactly? The millions of sports fans clamouring for a licensed and closed shop Super League cut off from the rest of the game? Have you seen the news lately? 

Apart from the European Super League and Super League (Europe) having similar names, that’s where the comparisons end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Padge said:

You can argue all you want about geography, tradition, heartlands, structure, P&R, closed shops, licenses, franchises, owners, supporters, attendances, uncle Tom Cobley n all. It is a professional sport and what matters is money, you need to maximise revenues and if you don't get that you don't understand what you are involved in.

 

Involved in ? , Are you ' involved in ' ? , Or are you a fan ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

You’d want Leigh to turn down a license for someone else to take it?

I don't want licensing full stop, doesn't matter whether Leigh were in the lucky 12 or not. Having watched events unfold over the couple of days, I can say I'm in the majority when it comes to the UK/European sporting public.

Any solution to the structure of the game has to encompass all the divisions and provide clear pathways from bottom to top, we've no hope of attracting investment into the game(outside of 12 SL clubs) without it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Apart from the European Super League and Super League (Europe) having similar names, that’s where the comparisons end. 

I think the visceral reactions of the last 48 hours say everything about what appetite the UK has for an invite only, closed shop competition. Anyone claiming that licensing is a golden ticket idea that will fix the games issues is kidding themselves.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeytherRob said:

I think the visceral reactions of the last 48 hours say everything about what appetite the UK has for an invite only, closed shop competition. Anyone claiming that licensing is a golden ticket idea that will fix the games issues is kidding themselves.

So keeping a sport with promotion and relegation with two full time professional sides outside the top flight in the hope people who don’t care about the sport, start caring about the sport is the answer? It’s not. 

The restructure simply has to stop this fallacy of “fairness” when the current set-up, the alleged preferred one, couldn’t be any less fair or helpful to the majority. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...