Elmbridge Eagles & Skolars make RL history in London

Putting this on here rather than just on the women's RL section as I think it is general good news - for the first time ever there was a u15 girl's RL game in London over the weekend between Skolars and Elmbridge. Now isn't that great? Congratulations to all involved.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Growing RL be it in Leigh or london is fantastic news.

Indeed although possibly easier in Leigh than in Surrey and North London.I have to say I was a bit down after Saturday's result but this reminds me of the importance of the club beyond its performance in L1.

Skolars have just posted this story: https://www.skolarsrl.com/2021/06/15/community-report-londons-first-ever-sanctioned-girls-match/

9 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Indeed although possibly easier in Leigh than in Surrey and North London.I have to say I was a bit down after Saturday's result but this reminds me of the importance of the club beyond its performance in L1.

Skolars have just posted this story: https://www.skolarsrl.com/2021/06/15/community-report-londons-first-ever-sanctioned-girls-match/

Small steps building slowly but surely off the pitch.

I'd like to see Skolars take an approach similar to Newcastle in regards to developing the community game. Maybe working together with the Broncos to increase the amount of junior RL clubs in and around London. What work do they currently do on that front?

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'd like to see Skolars take an approach similar to Newcastle in regards to developing the community game. Maybe working together with the Broncos to increase the amount of junior RL clubs in and around London. What work do they currently do on that front?

It all comes down to money unfortunately.

maybe the skolars could lobby the local council for grassroots development funds or sport England to keep kids of the street. Private investment too.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

There’s an U12s and U16s as well as one off events during school holidays (before COVID). There’s links with schools and a college. It’s very much the approach adopted - building the clubs profile locally. This also includes links with councils and MPs but we don’t have a lot of funds (less than Newcastle). 

Archived