Redcliffe Dolphins

Blind side johnny

Some of us may have read that the NRL is about to welcome a new club, Redcliffe Dolphins based in Queensland, in 2023, to be coached by Wayne Bennett. What is that to do with Dewsbury you may ask. Well, take a look at their CEO who some of our older members may remember from our "glory days".

Board of Directors | Redcliffe Leagues Club

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just 'Dolphins' if you please bsj. 

Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Queensland cup as a feeder club i presume. 

The new expansion team will recieve huge financial backing from Moreton Bay council who i believe are most peeved that the new team reneged on taking their name. A decision taken by the aforementioned CEO Mr. Murphy....... ☝️

The only Australian team to only have one name. 

Just to be pedantic on this fine Sunday morn. 😉

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Terry Webb - didn't he play for Leeds in the late 80s

Aye three years 83 to 86 “then when David Ward   retired at Leeds and was appointed coach at Hunslet, .got him to play for them for one year 

2 hours ago, il cattivo said:

Just 'Dolphins' if you please bsj. 

Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Queensland cup as a feeder club i presume. 

The new expansion team will recieve huge financial backing from Moreton Bay council who i believe are most peeved that the new team reneged on taking their name. A decision taken by the aforementioned CEO Mr. Murphy....... ☝️

The only Australian team to only have one name. 

Just to be pedantic on this fine Sunday morn. 😉

I believe the club is Redcliffe Dolphins t/a The Dolphins, so perhaps not a single name team.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I believe the club is Redcliffe Dolphins t/a The Dolphins, so perhaps not a single name team.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/dolphins-boss-defends-controversial-call-as-bennett-presser-hijacked-over-name-debate/news-story/6527696cdf581627ca1af810fd752a20

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

4 hours ago, il cattivo said:

Anyway, I thought that it was interesting to know what Tony Murphy is now up to but, this being a RL forum, away we go on another tangent.

Maybe we can DR with them in 2023?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 24/10/2021 at 11:01, Blind side johnny said:

Some of us may have read that the NRL is about to welcome a new club, Redcliffe Dolphins based in Queensland, in 2023, to be coached by Wayne Bennett. What is that to do with Dewsbury you may ask. Well, take a look at their CEO who some of our older members may remember from our "glory days".

Board of Directors | Redcliffe Leagues Club

Mr Murphy 

Dewsbury great and always will be 👏👏

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think that Tony Diskin signed on with Redcliffe during the 1985 'off seadon'?

Just thinking back to when Tony Murphy played for Dewsbury, I can remember him doing a million tackles per game every time he played. I can't ever remember him being much of a ball runner though?

The other overseas signing of Chris Mita was the complete opposite. I don't recall anything special about his defence, but with the ball in hand, he was a very capable attacking centre, who scored a few touchdowns for us in that season when we got promoted. 

Just back on the Redcliffe story, I've been looking at their website and what an operation they have in place already. Take a look at their stadium if you've got a minute. Very modern and tidy indeed. (Cas/Wakey take note) Their off field set up is something that none of our Super League sides are anywhere near to in my opinion as well. 

I like the stand that they've got behind the posts at one end with a seated balcony area overlooking the field. One of those would look good if it were to be built at our open ended stadium. 

2 hours ago, Lupset Ram said:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think that Tony Diskin signed on with Redcliffe during the 1985 'off seadon'?

Just thinking back to when Tony Murphy played for Dewsbury, I can remember him doing a million tackles per game every time he played. I can't ever remember him being much of a ball runner though?

The other overseas signing of Chris Mita was the complete opposite. I don't recall anything special about his defence, but with the ball in hand, he was a very capable attacking centre, who scored a few touchdowns for us in that season when we got promoted. 

Just back on the Redcliffe story, I've been looking at their website and what an operation they have in place already. Take a look at their stadium if you've got a minute. Very modern and tidy indeed. (Cas/Wakey take note) Their off field set up is something that none of our Super League sides are anywhere near to in my opinion as well. 

I like the stand that they've got behind the posts at one end with a seated balcony area overlooking the field. One of those would look good if it were to be built at our open ended stadium. 

People would be surprised just how few tries were scored in the Mita days. Despite being our top try scorer I believe that he only got 11 that season.

You could be right about Diskin. Quite a few of our players had spells in Australian country RL at that time, including Neil Kelly and Mark Keyworth.

Archived