Let's Do The RFL's Job For Them - Challenge Cup 2023

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I did get it, but if ever there was an ad tailored to the niche population of RL fans, this was it. 

I think that kind of ad maybe works on the back of a huge Derby, or a bad blood epic... 

Yep there was like 4.5k there for that game last week.

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I did get it, but if ever there was an ad tailored to the niche population of RL fans, this was it. 

I think that kind of ad maybe works on the back of a huge Derby, or a bad blood epic... 

To be honest if I didn't know better I would just be presuming it was a rematch of last years final, which it obviously isn't. Even as a Wigan fan I didn't have a clue what it meant.

If it does just mean playing again after a non descript league match then that is very lame and could apply to any game.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Is the attached that much different? I had a look on Google Images and most of the pictures are consistent - I can't actually see one that mentions any of the stuff you said. Obviously the text in the RU one is notably more useful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rfu+premiership+final&prmd=niv&sxsrf=ALiCzsbl9bj9E1lyyi56ClKNwzHPe6dsYg:1653566719864&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipoMyHkP33AhWXSkEAHeZPBtcQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=393&bih=698&dpr=2.75

Premiership-Rugby-Final-2022-graphic-862x867.jpg

No, this is the RU equivalent of that ad, and which one you prefer will be down to your creative preference. To be geeky for a moment, the RL one wouldn't have got passed - at a glance it is almost impossible to know that it is a Rugby ad (ball hidden and the word rugby only appears in the URL). The Union one is far clearer that this is a game of Rugby. 

The ad I mention is an adapted version of the above, I think only released in the last few days, presumably as the entertainment locked down.

My comment about 4 blokes looking at us was partly tongue in cheek - I've been critical of Wire's marketing this year which takes a similar approach, I don't know why this moody look is the look for the sport. I don't know why we can't sell fun.