Odsal sports city - part 2

On 08/08/2022 at 19:13, dboy said:

All sounds great to me.  Long suffering fans deserve it. 

My one question and id be interested to gauge thoughts, 2500 doesnt seem very big for a main stand.  Im thinking of the 2 main stands at Wigan are approx 8k (im sure ill be corrected if im wrong. Even if they hold 8001!)  Even the main stand at Rochdale is 4k. So 2500 seems really samll in comparrison. 

Just to clarify thus isnt intended as a dig at Wakey just genuine interest.  Perhaps Saints or Wolves fans can advise how many their main stands hold for perspective ?

7 hours ago, M j M said:

Headingley cost around £40m in total but more than 2/3 of that was for a ridiculously complex build in the shape of the main stand. South Stand was a more simple build at around £10m of the total.

True, but a lot of the excess cost wasn't just "because it was complex" but frankly the North Stand has a lot more going on in it compared to the SS (that's before you get to their being 3 tiers of seats on the other side.

6 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

My one question and id be interested to gauge thoughts, 2500 doesnt seem very big for a main stand.  Im thinking of the 2 main stands at Wigan are approx 8k (im sure ill be corrected if im wrong. Even if they hold 8001!)  Even the main stand at Rochdale is 4k. So 2500 seems really samll in comparrison. 

Just to clarify thus isnt intended as a dig at Wakey just genuine interest.  Perhaps Saints or Wolves fans can advise how many their main stands hold for perspective ?

The new north stand at Headingley has a capacity of 3,825. Wakey's plans being roughly a third smaller makes sense, especially if they are going with the padded seats as standard like at Headingley.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

True, but a lot of the excess cost wasn't just "because it was complex" but frankly the North Stand has a lot more going on in it compared to the SS (that's before you get to their being 3 tiers of seats on the other side.

Well yes, that's what I mean by a complex build - complex not just in construction but in what it does, in its design and in the particularly complicated steelwork requirements. Plus Leeds decided to pretty much gold plate bits of the fitout which wouldn't necessarily be the case elsewhere.

10 hours ago, paul hicks said:

the headingley upgrade cost close on 40 million and that does not include the 7 million for the east stand a few years ago

Somewhat comparing apples and oranges as the huge roof over the playing area is the financial killer.

In fairness looking closer at the image for Odsal and comparing it to it’s current dimensions,  it appears that about 80% of it is the current stadium refurbished, with a newly constructed squared off coral stand replacement with ground level access tunnels at the far end. Still more then £20 million of work though even before the roof is factored in. 

10 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Where do you get that 4000 for main stand at Rochdale from? Not saying you are wrong but it would surprise me given total capacity is less than 10k and there are stands on three sides and standing behind one goal.