Jump to content

IMG


phildog
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well well, I knew this was coming; IMG recommending return of licensing and no relegation. This is to be presented to Super League clubs. Every club outside Super League must loudly oppose this or must explore all avenues to run separately. The RFL will as usual be bottleless and acquiesce, when in fact Super League and the RFL are entirely separate bodies, the RFL is supposedly responsible for clubs outside SL yet allows itself to be dictated to and is supposed to be grateful for the money, next year a whole £5m to finance the entire game under their control as I hear, with SL deigns to give up. The RFL MUST SAY NO.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, phildog said:

Well well, I knew this was coming; IMG recommending return of licensing and no relegation. This is to be presented to Super League clubs. Every club outside Super League must loudly oppose this or must explore all avenues to run separately. The RFL will as usual be bottleless and acquiesce, when in fact Super League and the RFL are entirely separate bodies, the RFL is supposedly responsible for clubs outside SL yet allows itself to be dictated to and is supposed to be grateful for the money, next year a whole £5m to finance the entire game under their control as I hear, with SL deigns to give up. The RFL MUST SAY NO.

Other than you having completely misunderstood the proposals I might agree with you.

The presentation was to all members clubs of the RFL.

There will still be P&R.

A form of licensing may ultimately be a result but based upon transparent criteria.

The RFL and SL created an umbrella organisation ages ago.

Where does your £5M come from?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  • A re-positioned calendar which optimises flow, narrative and engagement, incorporating regular ‘peaks’ of interest and a compelling season climax.

They are going to continue to have at least 1 televised game each week featuring a well supported team to ensure decent weekly viewing figures, and they're carrying on with the end of season playoff's.

  • A calendar aligned with the global game to facilitate an international window in October and incorporate a mid-season international.

They will follow the NRL's fixture calendar to the letter and pray they can convince the Aussies or Kiwis will play them now and again.

  • Participation in the top tier to be based on a range of on and off field measures, delivered through a club grading system with the aim of supporting financial sustainability and encouraging investment into clubs.  ‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.  

Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs.  

They are going to ensure none of the big clubs end up outside of the top division, because it was touch and go for Warrington this year, and they don't want that to happen to any of the favoured few again. Moran had two sleepless nights on the back of it, poor lad. Look what has happened at the Bull's, they can't have that happen to anyone else with a big away following, regardless of how badly run they are.

They will only relegate a team if it suits that year's whim, and the SL chairmen think they can earn £5 more if someone else can replace one of the incumbent clubs, or one of the small incumbent clubs chairman, has a fall out with a big club chairman by proposing something that could be construed as sport. They can send him to the plebs to ensure everyone votes the correct way.

  • An expansion strategy to be developed that targets and supports the growth of the Women’s and Girls’ game, and also growth in new markets.                                                They will throw a few extra quid to get more females playing.
  • Participation of clubs outside of the UK to be capped and with additional standards to support domestic growth.

They will not allow any more Johnny foreigners in to SL, unless it really suits them and they can make few quid out of them.

They are going to cap the number but do not state what the cap is. Are they setting the cap at 20 clubs?

  • Operations to be centralised where this can maximise efficiencies and drive incremental revenue (e.g. ticketing and digital infrastructure).

If you ring the RFL for a ticket to a match, Karen at the RFL office, on reception, has had a bit of training and will now be able to send you an email containing your ticket rather than telling you to go online to buy one. 

  • A new brand strategy to be introduced and aligned with the above commercial strategy.                                                                              There is a lad coming in on a 2 week work experience next month, from Salford college, he got a GCSE grade B in Art last year, so he should be able to knock out a new logo before he goes back to College to continue his R.E. A Level.

 

What an absolute crock that is!

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was mentioned by someone in the press, mentioning a Sky deal of £24m if which there would be £5m for the RFL to distribute. How can I have misunderstood 'licensing and no relegation'? It's a LONG WAY from RFL whispers of 2 Super Leagues, or was that always a smokescreen? What was the point in IMG putting out questionnaires? Not even Leeds or Saints fans could have come up with those proposals!! It appears that their plan was set whatever fans said. AND I suppose SL will get a 2 to 1 vote as before!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, phildog said:

. Every club outside Super League must loudly oppose this or must explore all avenues to run separately. 

 

Featherstone Rovers welcome the initial findings of the work undertaken by IMG as part of the Reimagining Rugby League Project,.As a club we welcome the findings of the report by IMG, we believe that the recommendations include sensible and timely initiatives that will strengthen the future of our sport. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clearly they do as they can afford to buy their way in should an existing club fail, whether or not their playing staff let them down 2 tears on the bounce....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

 

  • A re-positioned calendar which optimises flow, narrative and engagement, incorporating regular ‘peaks’ of interest and a compelling season climax.

They are going to continue to have at least 1 televised game each week featuring a well supported team to ensure decent weekly viewing figures, and they're carrying on with the end of season playoff's.

  • A calendar aligned with the global game to facilitate an international window in October and incorporate a mid-season international.

They will follow the NRL's fixture calendar to the letter and pray they can convince the Aussies or Kiwis will play them now and again.

  • Participation in the top tier to be based on a range of on and off field measures, delivered through a club grading system with the aim of supporting financial sustainability and encouraging investment into clubs.  ‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.  

Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs.  

They are going to ensure none of the big clubs end up outside of the top division, because it was touch and go for Warrington this year, and they don't want that to happen to any of the favoured few again. Moran had two sleepless nights on the back of it, poor lad. Look what has happened at the Bull's, they can't have that happen to anyone else with a big away following, regardless of how badly run they are.

They will only relegate a team if it suits that year's whim, and the SL chairmen think they can earn £5 more if someone else can replace one of the incumbent clubs, or one of the small incumbent clubs chairman, has a fall out with a big club chairman by proposing something that could be construed as sport. They can send him to the plebs to ensure everyone votes the correct way.

  • An expansion strategy to be developed that targets and supports the growth of the Women’s and Girls’ game, and also growth in new markets.                                                They will throw a few extra quid to get more females playing.
  • Participation of clubs outside of the UK to be capped and with additional standards to support domestic growth.

They will not allow any more Johnny foreigners in to SL, unless it really suits them and they can make few quid out of them.

They are going to cap the number but do not state what the cap is. Are they setting the cap at 20 clubs?

  • Operations to be centralised where this can maximise efficiencies and drive incremental revenue (e.g. ticketing and digital infrastructure).

If you ring the RFL for a ticket to a match, Karen at the RFL office, on reception, has had a bit of training and will now be able to send you an email containing your ticket rather than telling you to go online to buy one. 

  • A new brand strategy to be introduced and aligned with the above commercial strategy.                                                                              There is a lad coming in on a 2 week work experience next month, from Salford college, he got a GCSE grade B in Art last year, so he should be able to knock out a new logo before he goes back to College to continue his R.E. A Level.

 

What an absolute crock that is!

Yours is the kind of positivity that drives the sport forward DF.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, phildog said:

It was mentioned by someone in the press, mentioning a Sky deal of £24m if which there would be £5m for the RFL to distribute. How can I have misunderstood 'licensing and no relegation'? It's a LONG WAY from RFL whispers of 2 Super Leagues, or was that always a smokescreen? What was the point in IMG putting out questionnaires? Not even Leeds or Saints fans could have come up with those proposals!! It appears that their plan was set whatever fans said. AND I suppose SL will get a 2 to 1 vote as before!

2+2=9 then? You read the words but then place your own interpretation on them.

Tell me. what were the terms of IMG's appointment to this 12 year partnership?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phildog said:

No interpretation, that's what was written.

Not true. Now try answering my second question, please.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what they're saying is that a number of clubs are guaranteed being in SL regardless of how they perform. This season Leeds were dead and buried....let's assume they hadn't recovered and had ended up bottom 2, even bottom. Under this ridiculous suggestion they would have still been treated as a top 6 guaranteed SL side. In which case, who WOULD have been relegated and what a legal can of worms would that open up? The game's enough of a laughing stock and introducing a rule whereby a side in a relegation spot wasn't actually relegated would set a precedent for any football club! Even if relegation was still enacted only a Championship club which could meet financial criteria would be considered even if they were neither league leaders nor had won the Grand Final, there again another legal can of worms. We're being led by the nose into another fiasco.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, phildog said:

So what they're saying is that a number of clubs are guaranteed being in SL regardless of how they perform. This season Leeds were dead and buried....let's assume they hadn't recovered and had ended up bottom 2, even bottom. Under this ridiculous suggestion they would have still been treated as a top 6 guaranteed SL side. In which case, who WOULD have been relegated and what a legal can of worms would that open up? The game's enough of a laughing stock and introducing a rule whereby a side in a relegation spot wasn't actually relegated would set a precedent for any football club! Even if relegation was still enacted only a Championship club which could meet financial criteria would be considered even if they were neither league leaders nor had won the Grand Final, there again another legal can of worms. We're being led by the nose into another fiasco.

They are saying that category A teams will be guaranteed a place in SL but that these categorisations will be reviewed every season. Given that the criteria and weightings have not yet been decided upon your personal evaluations and extrapolations are fanciful at best.

You say that the game is a laughing stock being led by the nose for a fiasco yet fail to recognise a genuine and sincere attempt to advance the sport and significantly increase its profile and, consequently, its income. What is wrong with those as an objective?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

They are saying that category A teams will be guaranteed a place in SL but that these categorisations will be reviewed every season. Given that the criteria and weightings have not yet been decided upon your personal evaluations and extrapolations are fanciful at best.

You say that the game is a laughing stock being led by the nose for a fiasco yet fail to recognise a genuine and sincere attempt to advance the sport and significantly increase its profile and, consequently, its income. What is wrong with those as an objective?

Please can you point me to where the proposals state Category A clubs will be reviewed annually? 

The proposals state Category B clubs will be reviewed annually, but don't reference the frequency in which Cat A will be reviewed.

I could have missed it however.

Edited by DOGFATHER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever the ins and outs, category A or B it's still, this is only my opinion if course, a definitive way of bringing back the I'm all right Jack, slap on the back closed shop which we already fought against and stole back in 2016.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MORE NEWS

No Magic or Bash but there's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do  would  they  do the same for the championship?

Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And who decides which teams are A and which are B? I'm sure there's going to be lots of fall out over that one especially with fans, I'm sure there will be a lot more to this than meets the eye, reads to me that they only want teams who bring fans and money into super league! Would a little old batley be allowed in on these proposals if we did win a grand final at the expense of a  bottom team like Warrington, or Leeds who were in the middle 8s not long ago! I don't think so! Seems to me that the re branding should be, no riff raff league! 

Edited by The scrim reaper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Please can you point me to where the proposals state Category A clubs will be reviewed annually? 

The proposals state Category B clubs will be reviewed annually, but don't reference the frequency in which Cat A will be reviewed.

I could have missed it however.

This appears to refer to all Categories, not just B.

IMG Super League proposal: Everything we know on licences, gradings, loop games and Magic Weekend - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

  • Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Having clubs 'competing' in the same division but playing to different rules is wrong. Just wrong. 😐

What different rules are being played to? I must have missed that one.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/09/2022 at 16:06, Blind side johnny said:

Here is another take on it. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11264191/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Getting-rid-relegation-slices-heart-soul-sport.html

It will be interesting to see what KN and Mark Sawyer made of the proposals. I have greater respect for those two, than any other chairmen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Here is another take on it. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11264191/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Getting-rid-relegation-slices-heart-soul-sport.html

It will be interesting to see what KN and Mark Sawyer made of the proposals. I have greater respect for those two, than any other chairmen.

One more to consider: IMG President Podcast - The General Rugby League Forum - Total Rugby League Fans Forum (totalrl.com)

 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...