Australian Squad Numbers

Anyway, haven't Australia actually named their side while all the other nations have listed their 19 in squad order.

Are we not giving Australia any credit for that?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Anyway, haven't Australia actually named their side while all the other nations have listed their 19 in squad order.

Are we not giving Australia any credit for that?

All other nations are following protocol. 19 Man squads 48 hours before. On the day teams 75mins before kick off

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

All other nations are following protocol. 19 Man squads 48 hours before. On the day teams 75mins before kick off

Does the protocol say you have to list your 19 man squad in numerical order?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I've seen several people saying it helps commercially in soccer, aids shirt sales, helps build a connection and an awareness.

I think that’s been mentioned once. But Replace Soccer with any number of different sports and it would be the same

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Read the link and find out for yourself 

Preliminary Squad List 

Each nation will submit their 19 (men’s and women’s tournaments) or 10-person (wheelchair tournament) Preliminary Squad by noon (12:00) 48 hours before the match. 

Match Day Squad List  

A final Match Day Squad (17 or 10 players) will be submitted no later than 75‐minutes prior to the scheduled kick‐off. No team is obliged to confirm or announce their final Match Day Squad until 60‐minutes prior to kick‐off. However, some nations may publicly confirm their Match Day squad, or elements thereof, in‐advance of submitting the final Match Day Squad. 

So no mention of announcing squads in numerical order.

So well done Australia for telling us the team and allowing the Rugby League public to look forward to them playing.  I would personally like England to name the Samoa squad in the playing order so I could look forward to that team playing as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What makes rugby league different to the long list of other sports that do squad numbers?

Well, for one thing, positional numbers are often synonymous with the names of positions - 7/halfback, 6/stand-off, 1/fullback, 9/hooker.

I don't really care what soccer and other sports do. I think positional numbers work best in RL.

• Like 1

I still can't work out why the nation that has actually told us what their team is is the one that is getting the stick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I still can't work out why the nation that has actually told us what their team is is the one that is getting the stick.

Yeah, I wish other teams could present their starting 13. The alphabetical nonsense casts the sport in a bad light IMO.

This whole system is just so ridiculously flawed to me. Apologies to English fans who use it in Superleague and are defending it but I need to ask (and I think you need to ask yourself as well), do you like it because you are use to it or because you genuinely think its superior.

Lets look at a comparison below. 

image.png.d203e31e08a42a4a4d06d80067e87b19.png

So what is the starting pack for Samoa? Can you tell me with out guessing? The game is a few days away. Is it really ideal that we won't know who the starting pack, reserve bench and players on standby are until a short time before they run onto the field? Do prefer that to knowing what the team is? Why?

What if we want to put a bet on and find out our first try scorer isn't actually in the team. Not only that it removes conversation around the team that hypes the game up. Who is coming off the bench and what kind of impact they will have. If one player deserves his starting spot over someone else. How will they use their rotation? 

I've already said on twitter lucky I know Young and May are wingers otherwise it might be confusing. Its Tyrone May, Taylan Mays brother, but he is wearing the same jersey as the opposition winger and is opposite him in the line up. Mistakes that would never have been made if they were just numbered in their position rather than semi random squad numbers. 

But its easier to identify them if they were the same number over the tournament! Here is a crazy concept. You could do that by just learning their name like we do in every other facet of our existence. Is learning a name actually that much harder than learning a number?

And of course squad numbers take away the ability to make it easier to know where someone is playing and their role in the team. It takes away the reward of earning that jumper and it removes players from the legacy of other players who have worn that number before them. If Cleary becomes the halfback he is in a group of players like Langer, Johns, Cronk who have worn that number before, but now that prestige is gone. Cleary is stuck with 14 as his debut jersey if he was starting or not.

I think the Australians made the issue worse by using the insane number system they chose to, but they were right on by pointing out that positional numbers have so many advantages over squad numbers which in essence is an attempt to sacrifice a part of the games identity to be like other sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, B rad said:

This whole system is just so ridiculously flawed to me. Apologies to English fans who use it in Superleague and are defending it but I need to ask (and I think you need to ask yourself as well), do you like it because you are use to it or because you genuinely think its superior.

Lets look at a comparison below. 

image.png.d203e31e08a42a4a4d06d80067e87b19.png

So what is the starting pack for Samoa? Can you tell me with out guessing? The game is a few days away. Is it really ideal that we won't know who the starting pack, reserve bench and players on standby are until a short time before they run onto the field? Do prefer that to knowing what the team is? Why?

What if we want to put a bet on and find out our first try scorer isn't actually in the team. Not only that it removes conversation around the team that hypes the game up. Who is coming off the bench and what kind of impact they will have. If one player deserves his starting spot over someone else. How will they use their rotation? 

I've already said on twitter lucky I know Young and May are wingers otherwise it might be confusing. Its Tyrone May, Taylan Mays brother, but he is wearing the same jersey as the opposition winger and is opposite him in the line up. Mistakes that would never have been made if they were just numbered in their position rather than semi random squad numbers. 

But its easier to identify them if they were the same number over the tournament! Here is a crazy concept. You could do that by just learning their name like we do in every other facet of our existence. Is learning a name actually that much harder than learning a number?

And of course squad numbers take away the ability to make it easier to know where someone is playing and their role in the team. It takes away the reward of earning that jumper and it removes players from the legacy of other players who have worn that number before them. If Cleary becomes the halfback he is in a group of players like Langer, Johns, Cronk who have worn that number before, but now that prestige is gone. Cleary is stuck with 14 as his debut jersey if he was starting or not.

I think the Australians made the issue worse by using the insane number system they chose to, but they were right on by pointing out that positional numbers have so many advantages over squad numbers which in essence is an attempt to sacrifice a part of the games identity to be like other sports. 

Beautifully said, B rad.

I showed that England team-list to my brother (an RU fan) earlier and his reaction was to ask why Welsby was playing on the wing and why they didn't just announce the starting team and replacements. I said that it was ''Uh, just how they do it in RL''. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it looked dense.

No way to build anticipation and draw new fans in, that is for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Because that is literally nothing to do with this thread and squad numbers. 

We get squads 2 days before and team on the day. That's fine. The Aussies have named their team earlier, thats their prerogative and fine. 

But its nothing to do with the discussion on squad numbers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Beautifully said, B rad.

I showed that England team-list to my brother (an RU fan) earlier and his reaction was to ask why Welsby was playing on the wing and why they didn't just announce the starting team and replacements. I said that it was ''Uh, just how they do it in RL''. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it looked dense.

No way to build anticipation and draw new fans in, that is for sure.

England haven't released their team. 

You showed him the 19 man squad. 

It's amazing how people who see this system literally every week are suddenly confused by it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Because that is literally nothing to do with this thread and squad numbers. 

We get squads 2 days before and team on the day. That's fine. The Aussies have named their team earlier, thats their prerogative and fine. 

But its nothing to do with the discussion on squad numbers. 

England naming their team for Saturday's game in squad numerical order and Australia have named their team in positional order.

Without squad numbers in this world cup, both nations would be doing the same thing.

But this has nothing to do with the squad numbers discussion? Not sure on that one.

• Confused 1

Just now, Dunbar said:

England naming their team for Saturday's game in squad numerical order and Australia have named their team in positional order.

Without squad numbers in this world cup, both nations would be doing the same thing.

But this has nothing to do with the squad numbers discussion? Not sure on that one.

England haven't named their team. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

England haven't named their team. 

I know.

Here is the announcement of the squads for the last game in a Rugby League World Cup in 2017.  Listed as they would take the pitch in their positions. 

Isn't it a thing of beauty. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/world-cup/rlwc-2017-australia-england-team-lists-for-world-cup-final/news-story/395029b0d951f4d91fb5d33aa3c93466

Edited by Dunbar