1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/22 at 19:00

Roughly 203,000 of the available RLWC2021 tickets will have been for games in Warrington, St Helens, Wigan and Leigh, and Bolton. That doesn't include the final at rhe 75k capacity Old Trafford, and originally Bolton was set to host a QF along with the 55k Anfield.

Whilst a good number of people will travel across the M62 for England games, and people will travel to towns/cities on their own side of the pennines in good numbers, because of this over saturation and the problems around tickets we are essentially relying on hyper local crowds boosted by what few expats can make it.

Would be interesting to know what thought has gone into the choice of venues and whether the final decision was purely financial or gave any thought to promoting the game to a wider audience 

looks to me like it was a case of saturate the heartlands and heavily promote the North East as a nod to development 

Re the North East is there any coordinated follow up legacy planning ie schools, councils, community clubs or is it down to Thunder to maintain momentum 

Re games in St Helens I think the local marketing has been poor. I live in Liverpool and you wouldn’t know a World Cup was on. Italy have visited local schools but other than that no promotions that I am aware of

Re tickets Ticketmaster refuse to acknowledge there is a glitch in the booking system.  Still showing seats are not available when in reality some areas are completely empty

on the positive the atmosphere has been good and have enjoyed what I have seen 

• Like 2

Here I am. 

In general about our Italian RL World Cup campaign. We all knew this team wasn't on paper as good as the 2013 and 2017 ones. 

In 2013, there were the likes of: James Tedesco, Anthony Minichiello (captain), Mark Minichiello, Josh Mantellato, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Vaughan, Cameron Ciraldo, Aidan Guerra, Kade Snowden. And I'm forgetting someone too. 

In 2017, there still were James Tedesco, Josh Mantellato, Mark Minichiello (captain), Paul Vaughan, Josh Mantellato, Paul Vaughan, Daniel Alvaro, Nathan Brown, etc. Shannon Wakeman was playing Super League football that season. 

The only thing missing in 2017 was a good halves partnership, as the young Jack Johns (then 20 y.o.) got injured in the 1st half vs Ireland in the very 1st match, and Campese was unavailable until the very last game v. Fiji in Canberra. 

In this 2021(2) World Cup, the time had less NRL and Super League talent. But Campagnolo and Robinson were very good in the halves. There have been a lot of turnover, with players who featured in 2017 not playing now and a lot of young ones, who I think will be available for the nexe qualifiers and hopefully for the World Cup in France. 

About domestic players, in 2013 there were 2 (Fabrizio Ciaurro and Gioele Celerino) and they both played in that famous warmup win against England in Salford (Ciaurro scored, too). None of them played tests during the World Cup; in 2017, there were 5 domestic players reached the team down under in camp with the team, but only 2 (Celerino and dual code international Bergamasco) made the final cut. They featured in warmup tests and representative games in Australia those days but none of them played tests during the World Cup; in 2022, there were 4 domestic players: 

Gioele Celerino (Racing Saint Gaudens)

Simone Boscolo (RC Salon XIII)

Ippolito Occhiallini (Lingano Sharks)

Giordano Arena (Catania Bulls)

[Alex Rojatto (Lignano Sharks) was withdrawn from the squad before the final cut.].  

Of them, Gioele played tests World Cup football against Scotland in Newcastle and last night against the Kangaroos in St Helens. 

About the domestic activity, both an article by the Guardian and Vossy's commentary yesterday mentioned the local league starting again this very weekend. Covid hit Italian RL activity very much, as I think it’s been impossible during the pandemic to ask players to move from ru to rl teams during the season.

An under 19 Euro Championship was hosted in Northern Italy and I’m sure it’s been a good experience.

Back on the games, I think the only disappointment came against Fiji. Not only because of the loss (we lost to them in Canberra in 2017, they’re very strong, let’s not forget they would beat the Kiwis after that match), but because we never clicked and seemed very hopeless.

Against Scotland in the debut, we were terrific. I think we can build on this team, with tests in Europe and down under. I think it’s important that players are involved with the test squad not only during WC qualifier and World Cups. Of course, very few of the Australian based lads would be able to fly to Europe but we can have something.

I felt very much represented by the players’ commitment and Brown led by example. Santi (one of the few who played 3 World Cup for the Azzurri) was immense.

Let’s hope the grassroots work can start again and that this young team can be there in 2025.

Edited by MatthewWoody
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

On your premise of over saturation of too many games in a confined area does the games at Leigh not depend on the same catchment area as both Wire and Saints and indeed Bolton and Wigan to populate the grounds? Irrespective of how many games you consider should have been at the LSV that is what the schedule was or is it your often and well stated dislike of Leigh that has clouded your rationale.

I trust that you have attended a few or plan to go to the one remaining fixture in the area?

Grow up Harry.

• Haha 1