Australia's lost aura

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the Eels and Roosters didn't exist, those grounds weren't getting built at all, or at least to the spec they are, for just the Wanderers, City, or the Waratahs. The NRL clubs are the anchor tenants who secure the viability of the stadium, the others are nice additions on top at the moment that add value. 

The Women's World Cup is an international tournament, not really like for like comparison really...

now look at the crowds a club like the roosters bring to the stadium, none of those clubs can really justify the stadium, but they want to keep up to date with infrastructure for things like world cups, touring artists, large tournaments 

Is Rugby League bigger than Football & Union? Yes of course, but both are in positions where it doesn’t take much, if the Wallabies go well in a World Cup, if the Socceroos capture the imagination & exceed expectations it brings football back into vogue

Rugby League is never safe, the A-League has kind of ebbed & flowed but Football is a global game in an ever expanding global nation, and Rugby probably has the second biggest World Cup after Football

The powers that be didn’t invest just to please Rugby League, they’re probably core tenants at present, obviously with 27 rounds, rep games, origin etc but there’s always growth for other sports, it’s not like Rugby League crowds are growing, lots of lazy people out there who’d rather sit in front of the 86’ tv with pizza & a beer in these challenging times 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Internationals, status symbol, isolated, two states, world game.

Thanks.

What if I just said, don’t rely on us? I’ve shown figures where Australia & NRL teams have travelled to the northern hemisphere more than the other way around

How about you stop getting antsy at us for not “shoring up” your future

Weve got a massive rugby league international region we’re attending to, how about you try & take some ground off football? Or try & successfully co-exist? Maybe you should beg Peter V’Landys to come over & run your game, stir everyone up, get people watching

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I’d be amazed if Australia gave their closest rivals, not just geographically but on the pitch too, a helping hand like free money.

You’re right. Australia’s greatest gift has been developing elite pathways for nz talent. That i suppose is the only helping hand they have given and viewed as a byproduct of their ultimate goal of winning premierships 

7 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

You’re right. Australia’s greatest gift has been developing elite pathways for nz talent. That i suppose is the only helping hand they have given and viewed as a byproduct of their ultimate goal of winning premierships 

Yes, the Aussies don’t develop talent for the PI nations and New Zealand. They do it for their club. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

There not even a dot of what they were even 10 years ago Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston, Inglis and Lockyer. 

They have no one close to these players now.

It appears that you do not watch the NRL or State of Origin. 

Current Australian players close to the ones you mentioned from the past:

James Tedesco, 

Latrell Mitchell,

Josh Addo-Carr,

Cameron Munster,

Nathan Cleary,  

Isiah Yeo,

Cameron Murray,

Harry Grant.

Tom Trbojevic,*  

Ryan Papenhuyzen,*

* Would have been selected but for injury.

Edited by Bradman Better

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

They got back some aura. 

Apart from next Saturday, when will they play again?

And who is responsible for developing and promoting them?

The whole point of my piece wasn't that the Aussies can't take part in great games, such as the one we saw last night, nor that they don't have great players, but that when the game is over they do very little to enhance the value of their own brand.

The England women's rugby union team, having just lost a World Cup Final, now probably have a higher brand value than the Kangaroos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Apart from next Saturday, when will they play again?

And who is responsible for developing and promoting them?

The whole point of my piece wasn't that the Aussies can't take part in great games, such as the one we saw last night, nor that they don't have great players, but that when the game is over they do very little to enhance the value of their own brand.

The England women's rugby union team, having just lost a World Cup Final, now probably have a higher brand value than the Kangaroos.

Sorry, my comment wasn't against you or your article (which I agree with). 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Much more than NZ? 

I think that is the problem being highlighted here, and it isn't a bad one necessarily given what has gone on in the past few years. 

I think they can "build" again their aura. 
Win or lose the final.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

On 10/11/2022 at 18:02, Dave T said:

That just isn't true Ian. 

I think Dave we should also look at ourselves here , have we done enough as supporters of Rugby league internationally? Martyn is probably correct in saying new generations have not been used to international RL but we have to look at our marketing plans ; how do we try to entice a new or existing audience to these games ? 

Answer is that no one appears to do sweet FA other than put tickets for sale.

Why don't they for example bring out a number of ex players of the club where the match is been played for example alongside some former international players to have a meet and great with the crowd ? 

Basic levels of marketing could drive up the numbers but it appears very little has been done to build the brand of any rugby league international team outside of a narrow band of existing fans.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I think Dave we should also look at ourselves here , have we done enough as supporters of Rugby league internationally? Martyn is probably correct in saying new generations have not been used to international RL but we have to look at our marketing plans ; how do we try to entice a new or existing audience to these games ? 

Answer is that no one appears to do sweet FA other than put tickets for sale.

Why don't they for example bring out a number of ex players of the club where the match is been played for example alongside some former international players to have a meet and great with the crowd ? 

Basic levels of marketing could drive up the numbers but it appears very little has been done to build the brand of any rugby league international team outside of a narrow band of existing fans.

I don't disagree with the points you make here mate, and when I'm not enjoying a cold beer at a World Cup Semi Final hopefully I'll get to give a proper response 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

Not only to these few matches, but also to regular League matches?  That's what the game needs after all.