Stepping down - Ralph Rimmer reflects on his five years in charge of the RFL

On 31/01/2023 at 07:49, The Future is League said:

Rob Elstone didn't even cover his wages in his tenure let alone his staff wages, but he did get us a good Pizza deal 🤣

He also thought that it was a good expansion idea to replace Toronto with a team from a Wigan Suburb

On 31/01/2023 at 08:06, Martyn Sadler said:

Or sometimes an organisation just wants to employ someone who can steady the ship.

Don't be too surprised to see Ralph re-surface at the Welsh Rugby Union to sort out their current crisis.

Toronto had failure written all over it from the start if you bothered to look and think about it, personally I wouldn't employ Rimmer to run a bath or shovel ....

5 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Toronto had failure written all over it from the start if you bothered to look and think about it, personally I wouldn't employ Rimmer to run a bath or shovel ...

I really think that's only true if you wanted it to fail in the first place and there were plenty that did.

• Like 5

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I really think that's only true if you wanted it to fail in the first place and there were plenty that did.

And I really think it was doomed.from the start for various reasons. Those who championed it as the best thing since sliced bread have a convenient out by blaming covid,but an alleged billionaire couldn't pay bills allegedly.

1 minute ago, Hemi4561 said:

And I really think it was doomed.from the start for various reasons. Those who championed it as the best thing since sliced bread have a convenient out by blaming covid,but an alleged billionaire couldn't pay bills allegedly.

The one thing it destroyed completely, and could only have been superb for RL, was the M62 lazy journalism charge.

It wasn't doomed from the start and if it was maybe RL is for much the same reasons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The one thing it destroyed completely, and could only have been superb for RL, was the M62 lazy journalism charge.

It wasn't doomed from the start and if it was maybe RL is for much the same reasons.

I don't disagree that RL may be doomed but I reiterate, I don't think Toronto stood a chance in hell of being the catalyst for, or the model of survival. 

15 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

I don't disagree that RL may be doomed but I reiterate, I don't think Toronto stood a chance in hell of being the catalyst for, or the model of survival. 

Were they ever a model for survival or the Great white hope ?

I just thought they were a breath of fresh air and a new direction for RL.

Certainly I think RL failed them far more than the other way round.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Were they ever a model for survival or the Great white hope ?

I just thought they were a breath of fresh air and a new direction for RL.

Certainly I think RL failed them far more than the other way round.

Many promoted them as the future, and as an object lesson in how we had been getting it wrong for years.

I don't see how the Rl in Great Britain failed them anymore than they failed any of the clubs, both traditional or expansionist, that have gone to the wall over the last 50 years. 

He's been hit and miss as head of RL, that is not something to be proud of.

He is more known for his failure than his triumph but isn't that the lot of an RLF head?. Under him the RFL has been expanded with limited success, world cups have shown promises (all be it with underwhelming crowds) but it is a marker for the future and something to expand upon.

Overall he will be remembered as a head of RL that did more harm than good. But if we play our cards right, he might be the lead of an English revolution (all be it without his knowledge).

10 hours ago, Oxford said:

Including some clubs who were frightened for their Super League future and some who have aspirations to play in Super League at the time.

This was Rugby Leagues best chance of ever of getting a toe hold in the most lucrative sports market in the world, and we blew it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

I don't see how the Rl in Great Britain failed them anymore than they failed any of the clubs, both traditional or expansionist, that have gone to the wall over the last 50 years.

I think you only need to look at the demands made on all clubs from outside the UK to know that's simply not true.

AND

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Including some clubs who were frightened for their Super League future and some who have aspirations to play in Super League at the time.

This was Rugby Leagues best chance of ever of getting a toe hold in the most lucrative sports market in the world, and we blew it.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Toronto had failure written all over it from the start if you bothered to look and think about it, personally I wouldn't employ Rimmer to run a bath or shovel ....

are you recruiting at present? 

• Haha 1