NRL stars consider striking as crisis between the NRL and RLPA deepens

Calling it a pay dispute is a bit of a joke. The cap is out there and the players seem happy so if it was pay they would have signed it off. 

It appears it's injury fund and retirement medical funds which are at the centre. Also the women's system needs discussion around maternity rights and other things which are new to the discussion but essential to know where people stand.

3 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Calling it a pay dispute is a bit of a joke. The cap is out there and the players seem happy so if it was pay they would have signed it off. 

It appears it's injury fund and retirement medical funds which are at the centre. Also the women's system needs discussion around maternity rights and other things which are new to the discussion but essential to know where people stand.

Pretty sure the cap was never signed off on by the RLPA. The NRL went to the media and announced it before if was agreed upon, making the relationship even worse.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Pretty sure the cap was never signed off on by the RLPA. The NRL went to the media and announced it before if was agreed upon, making the relationship even worse.

Yes wade Graham has said as much. However it was also required to allow teams to budget. If however the cap was an issue players would have said it isn't enough which I don't think anyone has said.

On 07/02/2023 at 14:45, Dirkgee said:

Also the NRL just got caught covertly recording a meeting between them and the players.

Situation is deteriorating quite quickly

https://smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-official-accused-of-covertly-recording-players-in-bitter-pay-war-20230207-p5ciks.html

That’s sensational. What on earth was the person thinking?

I don’t see a strike coming though.

On 07/02/2023 at 13:43, Dirkgee said:

Could this have any impact in England? In particular on player movements either in or out of SL?

https://www.aap.com.au/news/nrl-stars-consider-radical-strike-as-pay-crisis-deepens/

No play no pay for the players. I hope they realise this, and have they read their contracts all the way through or are they just taking Clint Newtons word on the matter

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

No play no pay for the players. I hope they realise this, and have they read their contracts all the way through or are they just taking Clint Newtons word on the matter

The NRL has much more to lose though.

new rise.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Probably, but how much would the players lose, IF it was reveled they they broke their contracts. Very few people read their contracts all the way through. I hope the players did.

I really can't fathom why you're so against the players on this one. Most of the issues they are raising are to do with minimum support standards for players earning the least.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I really can't fathom why you're so against the players on this one. Most of the issues they are raising are to do with minimum support standards for players earning the least.

I'm not against the players I'm against the players breaking their contracts and the repercussions that could follow for them.

You know as well as I do that very few people are fully aware of what their contracts say all the way through.

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm not against the players I'm against the players breaking their contracts and the repercussions that could follow for them.

The last thing I read said that the clubs are broadly supportive of the players and not so broadly supportive of the NRL hierarchy so what repercussions could there be for them considering a strike? 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The last thing I read said that the clubs are broadly supportive of the players and not so broadly supportive of the NRL hierarchy so what repercussions could there be for them considering a strike? 

I don't know and and that's why i hope the players have read their contracts from front to back and back to front

This is clear cut case of the NRL being in the wrong. 

Some NRL mouthpieces (journalists) are trying to change the narrative.

The players have agents. They're paid to read the contracts. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

This is clear cut case of the NRL being in the wrong. 

Some NRL mouthpieces (journalists) are trying to change the narrative.

The players have agents. They're paid to read the contracts. 

Do the agents tell the players everything that's in their contracts, or just the bits they think the players want to hear?

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Do the agents tell the players everything that's in their contracts, or just the bits they think the players want to hear?

If you're going to mess up someone's contract you won't be an agent for long will you?

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

Great news and this should see the women's game go from strength to strength:

The National Rugby League and Rugby League Players Association are pleased to announce they have reached in principle agreement on key terms for the NRLW CBA.

Both parties have worked with players, clubs and all other relevant stakeholders to ensure this in principle agreement provides women’s rugby league with an exciting future and fair and reasonable terms.

The key terms include policies relating to pregnancy and parental arrangements incorporating support for pregnant players and leave provisions, alongside support for primary carers and parents of infants up to 24 months.

Clubs will have a top 24 squad list with funding for investment in four development players for the NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership.

The NRLW salary cap rises from $350,000 in 2022 to $900,000 in 2023 with annual salary caps over the five-year cycle set as follows:

2023 - $900,000

2024 - $1,020,000

2025 - $1,254,000

2026 - $1,386,000

2027 - $1,518,000

The minimum NRLW salaries over the 5-year cycle are set as follows:

2023 - $30,000

2024 - $34,000

2025 - $41,800

2026 - $46,200

2027 - $50,600

All players will also have access to Wellbeing and Education support and access to injury hardship and other player support funds.

The NRLW season will have a total period of 20 weeks in 2023 (nine-round regular season, semi-finals, Grand Final, seven weeks of pre-season and two weeks of leave), growing to 23 weeks by 2025.

Further expansion of the NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership has been planned for in the strategy and investment.

NRL 2023, NRLW Competition, Women's Collective Bargaining Agreement announced by NRL and RLPA | NRL.com

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2