John Holdsworth, RIP

Andrew Vause

The sad passing of former referee John Holdsworth has just been announced. John was a top referee in the 80s and 90s with 2 challenge cup finals  (1987 and 1990).

He gave one of the greatest comebacks to a fan at our Challenge Cup QF at St.Helens in the successful campaign of 1983.

He was inspecting the pitch at our end, pre game when one of our supporters a lady in her 30s said that her surname was the same as his and politely enquired as to what his dad's name was.

His reply was short but priceless 'According to you lot I haven't got a dad'

Condolences to his wife Marlene and their family. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andrew Vause said:

The sad passing of former referee John Holdsworth has just been announced. John was a top referee in the 80s and 90s with 2 challenge cup finals  (1987 and 1990).

He gave one of the greatest comebacks to a fan at our Challenge Cup QF at St.Helens in the successful campaign of 1983.

He was inspecting the pitch at our end, pre game when one of our supporters a lady in her 30s said that her surname was the same as his and politely enquired as to what his dad's name was.

His reply was short but priceless 'According to you lot I haven't got a dad'

Condolences to his wife Marlene and their family. 

RIP John, a great ref in his day and by all accounts a lovely bloke too.  He features in some of my greatest Rovers memories in the 70's and 80's.

8 hours ago, PonteBlue said:

Reffed us in 1983 Challenge cup quarter final away at Saints and again in semi final at Headingley v Northern.

A good ref who you didn't notice was on the pitch in some games.

R.I.P John.

Agreed, condolences to family and friends RIP 🙏