Balkan Super League 2023

IMG should get involved with these clubs too. 

Promoting and developing this competition could be the best thing that's ever happened to RL in the NH.  

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Promoting and developing this competition could be the best thing that's ever happened to RL in the NH.  

I think IMG is very "revenue-oriented" though. So would have no interest in the amateur. 

As I understand it IMG is a consultancy service that is currently being paid by the RFL. Who from the Balkans could ever afford to pay IMG?

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Not IMG's job. The RFL/ERL need to work with these countries and raise funding for youth and infrastructure. And then set up pathways to the RFL for players who are good enough. Red Star and Partizan effectively produce the Serbian football team. Imagine what they could do for rugby if given the resources.

Edited by NW10LDN

26 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Not IMG's job. The RFL/ERL need to work with these countries and raise funding for youth and infrastructure. And then set up pathways to the RFL for players who are good enough. Red Star and Partizan effectively produce the Serbian football team. Imagine what they could do for rugby if given the resources.

The RFL haven’t got a pot to p155 in, there’s no way they can fund a meaningful Balkan youth programme. They don’t even offer new clubs in this country any support. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The RFL haven’t got a pot to p155 in, there’s no way they can fund a meaningful Balkan youth programme. They don’t even offer new clubs in this country any support. 

I didn't say the RFL should provide the funding.

I'd just like to raise the point that these people have created this ''Super League'' on their own initiative, by their own effort and as far as I can tell, using their own cash.

What they have achieved is nothing short of astounding and long may it continue.

No-one can confidently predict the future, but I enjoy imagining that with a fair wind and a fairly modest rate of growth this organisation, might continue to draw in clubs from across the Balkans (and, who knows elsewhere) supported by grass roots development in their localities and spurred on by the increasing prestige and kudos of being involved in this continent-wide competition.

The growth of this movement will aid and fuel, the development of International competition across Europe.

I have the utmost respect for the people involved and truly wish them every success.

I believe what we really need is more of these people and less of the kind, who turn up with palms-outstretched, or even worse, expecting someone else to do it for them.

It's about time our substantial amateur bodies, took on the challenge of developing our games grassroots, it's clear the pro game doesn't have the appetite, (nor the resources) to do it for us.

If they can do it in the Balkans, surely we can do it in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria?

The North East seems to be growing, (I can't speak for London) and so does the game in Wales, so we have some models of success close to home. What we need is to awaken some of the competent, willing and energetic people, (that surely must exist) inside our amateur ranks, to pick up the baton.

If we don't, (in my favourite version of the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics) the Balkans will eventually overtake us. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

How would they raise the funding then? 

The EU and countries do give out funding for sport. The RFL would be in a good position to offer advice to developing countries.