Rugby League Books

Anything by Dave Hadfield ....period ... the bloke was a bloody genius

I personally love Wiganosophy by Matt Macaulay - never see it mentioned in any RL Book list - the blurb describes it as 'blends philosophical discourse with rugby league, and Wigan ' but its a ridiculously funny in parts look at being a modern day RL fan .

Tony Hannan's Being Eddie Waring is a hell of a read and probably shares the best biography with already mentioned ' Willie' Mike Gardners look at the life of Barrows Willie Horne .

In light of the the current IMG argument, Jonny Rickwoods ' Cougarmania '  a comprehensive account of the story of Keighley Cougars during the 90s era is worth a peruse- also short but sweet is 'Forward' Dave Mussons story of the Cov Bears 2018 season (as one who didnt miss a Bears game that season and does get namechecked in it I'd vouch for how accurate Daves version is 🙂 )

• Like 1

I personally love Wiganosophy by Matt Macaulay - never see it mentioned in any RL Book list - the blurb describes it as 'blends philosophical discourse with rugby league, and Wigan ' but its a ridiculously funny in parts look at being a modern day RL fan .

Tony Hannan's Being Eddie Waring is a hell of a read and probably shares the best biography with already mentioned ' Willie' Mike Gardners look at the life of Barrows Willie Horne .

In light of the the current IMG argument, Jonny Rickwoods ' Cougarmania '  a comprehensive account of the story of Keighley Cougars during the 90s era is worth a peruse- also short but sweet is 'Forward' Dave Mussons story of the Cov Bears 2018 season (as one who didnt miss a Bears game that season and does get namechecked in it I'd vouch for how accurate Daves version is 🙂 )

25 minutes ago, Rach said:

Yeah!

When I posted earlier about Eddie Waring's The GreatOnes I did think he would have been great with the follow up and he'd have given it the necessary humour missing in so many RL books.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Rach said:

Never heard of this before.

Ordered a copy.

Thanks!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Never heard of this before.

Ordered a copy.

Thanks!

No probs 🙂 Odd bits where he goes off on a ramble about league structures are a bit long but the majority  you'll be thinking 'been there got the teeshirt ' - like the growing fear and dread as the new shirt designs are announced pre season and the issue of leaving a game before the final whistle .

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Yeah!

When I posted earlier about Eddie Waring's The GreatOnes I did think he would have been great with the follow up and he'd have given it the necessary humour missing in so many RL books.

Hadfields piece on Blackpool Borough in Xlll winters .....🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rach said:

These sound great, cheers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meast said:

Backs to the wall by Bryn Woodworth, it tells the story of the 1914 Northern Union tour to Australasia, the "Rorkes drift test" and the emergence and career of Harold Wagstaff simultaneously.

A great read.

Similarly All Blacks to All Golds   (John Haynes ) - follows the NZ  tour to this Country / Aus  in 1907 the  controversial start of international RL .

https://www.sportspages.com/product/all_blacks_to_all_golds_44349

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1