Workington

glemiln

Quiet on here and elsewhere!  Any positive vibes for our game tomorrow with, according to the preliminary squad, several more new faces to integrate quickly?

Is Dean Straugheir injured?

I guess any score larger than Workington's would do most!  

Workington 21:  Matty Henson, Blain Marwood, Jack Mallinson, Jordan Thomson, Earl Hurst, Jason Mossop, Stevie Scholey, Ethan Bickerdike, Ciaran Walker, Luke Charlton, Jordan Burns, Grant Reid, Caine Barnes, Jake Bradley, Fergus Simpson, JJ Key, Max Anderson-Moore, Jack Stephenson, Aaron Burns, Joe Kirkup, Sean Sabutey.   

Great first half; unfortunately, a 39min try to Worky.

HT:  Hornets 22 - Worky 8 

25min….A sin bin for each team!

2nd half: a very poor start for us……now 22- 28 after 60mins!

Now 28 -28 - keep up the response Hornets.

28 - 29 final score—-79’ drop goal !

No doubt tense, but that early second half?

Edited by glemiln

Great game for the neutral but to be honest we totally blew that. I can’t fault the effort but we played some really dumb rugby at times. We score early on then bomb the resulting Workington kick off - resulting a try from the scrum for them. After that we were cruising until our loan signing decided to tackle the kicker in mid-kick. The kick’s going right down our full back’s throat.  Even the dogs in the street know you can’t go near the kicker anymore. So a mini brawl results, two sin binnings ( one from each side ) and a penalty on our 25 to Workington. Result - try to them and our momentum lost.

Same guy goes in with a swinging arm about five minutes after he’s just come back on  - another pen and another 10 minutes in the bin leading to another try conceded.

Second half we bomb the the first high ball - result another try to Worky.

In the end the team that made the least mistakes won.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

What a painful end to the best performance of the season so far. I thought we were great the first half and Workington couldn't live with us, we were aggressive in the tackle and looked confident with ball in hand, the 22-8 score was a fair one. But Workington have been down 18 points vs North Wales and came back so it was important that Hornets didn't let Town start well. The first 20 of the second half was perfect for Town and the damage had been done. We let them run at us and they made some good yards after contact, i thought they bullied us a little. We didn't take all the points on offer today as we should have put a drop goal over before the end of the first half and there was a penalty in Town's half early in the second we should have took.

The next few weeks are really important as we have North Wales who have't won a game but have put in good performances, London and Cornwall who we should be better than. We need to win all of these to give us momentum going into games vs teams at the top half of the table. Next week against North Wales is a season defining game, if we play like we did in that first half for the full 80 i don't see why we can't come away with the points.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same guy goes in with a swinging arm…..

Highlighted on the Worky forum too.
As Delboy might say……Hopefully, today was his first and last day at Hornets and that we will build on the positives.
Also, we need a settled, focused squad.

Brilliant first half, great to see our half backs running at defences. Arnold and Brewen ran themselves to a standstill. We had a guy riding a bike most of the second half. Thats probably his best position. The guy who got sin binned twice lost us the game. Needs shipping out. The most worrying thing about todays game was the assistant coach constantly turning to the crowd and shaking his his head. Surely if things aren't going to plan his job is to give the players some support. Ship him out. 

Our player sin binned seemed to enjoy being the pantomime villain and perhaps shouldn’t have gone back on until he’d fully calmed down. I’d like him to put an apology out to supporters and teammates because he turned the game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Excolt 1 said:

Our player sin binned seemed to enjoy being the pantomime villain and perhaps shouldn’t have gone back on until he’d fully calmed down. I’d like him to put an apology out to supporters and teammates because he turned the game.

I just thought he disrespected the shirt and didn't really care about the impact of his actions. As Hornets try and turn round a poor discipline culture, actions like his don't help the cause on any level. Good player, but a liability - any other player in the same position would be a better choice, I think. 

• Like 2

Well, I thought the guy who he “ challenged “ in mid kick made a bit of a meal of it to be honest. However as I said earlier everybody knows you can’t go near the kicker these days so he only had himself to blame for getting the yellow card. There was too much going on and too many people running in at the resulting melee fr me to pick anyone out as an offender. I missed the incident that resulted in the second yellow card but the referee indicated a swing arm/fist. The guy didn’t help himself.