Jump to content

Does this International Rugby League Forum serve any particular purpose ?


Recommended Posts

Just find it strange that a forum dedicated specifically to the International game is all but ignored with all relevant news going into the " General" forum. 

 

 

  • Like 2

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, The Partisan said:

Just find it strange that a forum dedicated specifically to the International game is all but ignored with all relevant news going into the " General" forum. 

 

 

Yes, it's for the international expansion perverts.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/05/2023 at 00:35, The Partisan said:

Just find it strange that a forum dedicated specifically to the International game is all but ignored with all relevant news going into the " General" forum. 

This section was originally set up in response to requests from forum members who liked to discuss international topics, usually of the more expansionist kind, rather than headline Tests involving the major RL playing nations, as they (correctly) pointed out that such threads would quickly drop down the topic listing on the General forum and get 'lost' on sub-pages.

The aim was if these topics were posted in their own section of the forum, they would stick around higher up a lot longer, as there was less traffic in here, and be more easily accessible to those who were interested in them.

We've never adopted a rigid policy of shunting every international related topic in here, as if we used this place for discussing the World Cup, Test series between major nations etc, it would defeat the purpose of setting it up in the first place, as these threads would soon overwhelm all the others.

If a thread on an international topic is posted in the General forum and proves popular in there, I'd argue that it is better to leave it there, promoting the discussion further, rather than potentially 'hiding' it away in here, as the General forum does always get the biggest amount of traffic.

I understand the counter argument though, that if we shifted more international threads in here, it would potentially raise the amount of general traffic/interest in here.

I'm open to persuasion on what's the best approach to take.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/05/2023 at 08:31, Gomersall said:

I understand the logic but I do find it annoying though John when even threads totally related to the NRL rather than RL generally are allowed to stay in the General section. 

There's an Australian RL forum for NRL stuff, which mostly means club/state Rugby, rather than the international game.

Anything not on the main forum or the AOB/Politics section tends to have few clicks. But, given the backward-looking tendencies of a small but noisy minority on TRL, maybe that's for the best.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer to have an IRL forum because the threads will be lost down the list quickly.

  • Like 3

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 04/05/2023 at 04:09, John Drake said:

This section was originally set up in response to requests from forum members who liked to discuss international topics, usually of the more expansionist kind, rather than headline Tests involving the major RL playing nations, as they (correctly) pointed out that such threads would quickly drop down the topic listing on the General forum and get 'lost' on sub-pages.

The aim was if these topics were posted in their own section of the forum, they would stick around higher up a lot longer, as there was less traffic in here, and be more easily accessible to those who were interested in them.

We've never adopted a rigid policy of shunting every international related topic in here, as if we used this place for discussing the World Cup, Test series between major nations etc, it would defeat the purpose of setting it up in the first place, as these threads would soon overwhelm all the others.

If a thread on an international topic is posted in the General forum and proves popular in there, I'd argue that it is better to leave it there, promoting the discussion further, rather than potentially 'hiding' it away in here, as the General forum does always get the biggest amount of traffic.

I understand the counter argument though, that if we shifted more international threads in here, it would potentially raise the amount of general traffic/interest in here.

I'm open to persuasion on what's the best approach to take.

Revisiting this thread.  

Would a forum titled 'International Rugby League Expansion and Development' be a compromise? 

 

 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 04/05/2023 at 04:09, John Drake said:

This section was originally set up in response to requests from forum members who liked to discuss international topics, usually of the more expansionist kind, rather than headline Tests involving the major RL playing nations, as they (correctly) pointed out that such threads would quickly drop down the topic listing on the General forum and get 'lost' on sub-pages.

The aim was if these topics were posted in their own section of the forum, they would stick around higher up a lot longer, as there was less traffic in here, and be more easily accessible to those who were interested in them.

We've never adopted a rigid policy of shunting every international related topic in here, as if we used this place for discussing the World Cup, Test series between major nations etc, it would defeat the purpose of setting it up in the first place, as these threads would soon overwhelm all the others.

If a thread on an international topic is posted in the General forum and proves popular in there, I'd argue that it is better to leave it there, promoting the discussion further, rather than potentially 'hiding' it away in here, as the General forum does always get the biggest amount of traffic.

I understand the counter argument though, that if we shifted more international threads in here, it would potentially raise the amount of general traffic/interest in here.

I'm open to persuasion on what's the best approach to take.

John, any thoughts on my idea as per my last post ? 

 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2023 at 22:24, The Partisan said:

Revisiting this thread.  

Would a forum titled 'International Rugby League Expansion and Development' be a compromise? 

 

 

I think it's a good suggestion, I like having a separate forum for this. However, it relies on posters putting topics in here, and not the general forum which acts as a place to go.

I also think interaction on the forum has dropped in recent years so questionable how frequently it will be used

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I think it's a good suggestion, I like having a separate forum for this. However, it relies on posters putting topics in here, and not the general forum which acts as a place to go.

I also think interaction on the forum has dropped in recent years so questionable how frequently it will be used

I use to always post development news on here but often the interaction was minimal or a new thread on the same topic would appear on the General Forum and get much more response. Some people would never bother to look in here and would be oblivious to the thread content otherwise. My logic was if you can’t beat them join them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2023 at 22:24, The Partisan said:

Revisiting this thread.  

Would a forum titled 'International Rugby League Expansion and Development' be a compromise? 

Good idea, duly adopted. 👍

  • Thanks 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.