Metres vs Yards

On 04/05/2023 at 22:37, TheReaper said:

Half a dozen of one, 6.56 of another. 

I don't know the answer but I always assumed the 22 metre line in union was due to converting 25 yards, although checking the math it appears to be closer to 23m.

On the flip side, I also thought that the 110 yard CFL field was due to converting a sensible 100m field into yards to better align with the neighbours. 

Curious to see if anyone has some good historical knowledge. 

It’s maths not math, we’re not yanks. The proper word is mathematics not mathematic. Therefore maths!!

On 04/05/2023 at 22:22, DoubleD said:

Commentators and pundits often mention yards rather than metres. Is there a reason for this? Have pitch dimensions ever been measured in yards?

The commentator last time in Perpignan gave us the temp in Fahrenheit. 

He may as well have given the pitch size in roods and perches for all it meant to me 

• Like 3

On 05/05/2023 at 09:24, David Shepherd said:

IIRC, they serve ale in pints in some pubs.

The pint is a reserved legal measure for beer (draught) and milk in bottles. Anything else in bottles including beer is metric

21 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes. Napoleon's idea. A metre is one ten millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator. Albeit it's actually a bit out.

His metric clock (ten hours of a hundred minutes each) wasn't so successful.

A metric time system intrigues me. 

7 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

A metric time system intrigues me. 

There's only so far you can go down that road. 100 days in a year is never going to work.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Yes, with a cost of living crisis ongoing, now is the ideal time to waste money on new road signs.

There will always be political and social issues. England is only going to get poorer over the next couple of decades, whether you would have been in the EU or not. UK has been in managed decline since 1955.

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

On 04/05/2023 at 17:37, TheReaper said:

Half a dozen of one, 6.56 of another. 

I don't know the answer but I always assumed the 22 metre line in union was due to converting 25 yards, although checking the math it appears to be closer to 23m.

On the flip side, I also thought that the 110 yard CFL field was due to converting a sensible 100m field into yards to better align with the neighbours. 

Curious to see if anyone has some good historical knowledge. 

Surely the CFL field is 110 yards because in Canada we kept the same length as in RU even though the width was reduced by 10 yards, no?

54 minutes ago, LlanWests said:

There will always be political and social issues. England is only going to get poorer over the next couple of decades, whether you would have been in the EU or not. UK has been in managed decline since 1955.

🥴

And that is relevant to new roadsigns in what way ?

22 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Surely the CFL field is 110 yards because in Canada we kept the same length as in RU even though the width was reduced by 10 yards, no?

Dunno - but not necessarily.   American football is played on their 160 foot stair carpet because one of the Ivy League universities (Harvard, I think) only had a 160 foot wide space to put one in.

Personally, I've a lot of time for the octagonal CFL ground.  It's innovative.

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It wouldn’t work like that though. We don’t have a logical number of days in a week now let alone in a year.

Seven days in a week is actually perfectly logical. One each for the sun, moon and the five naked eye planets.

The number of days in a year is also perfectly logical at 365.2425 over a 400 year cycle, fitting in with the actual length of the year at 365.2422 days. The error is currently one day in 3333.333333 years, so we may need to drop a leap year around the year 5350 to bring us back on track.

On 10/05/2023 at 11:35, Cheadle Leyther said:

It’s maths not math, we’re not yanks. The proper word is mathematics not mathematic. Therefore maths!!

It's the Internet, people are from all over.

On 09/05/2023 at 09:51, Leonard said:

Buying drugs in metric is a real pain.

Funny enough even though it's displayed in metric, all the sizes are still based on imperial.

The weed shop is full of 3.5 gram, 7 gram, and 14 gram containers. Pre legalization we were buying eighth, quarter and half ounces 😂 (well, ideally a few ounces at time but the government doesn't think we're ready for that!)

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone wondering when the game down under went metric, this https://www.facebook.com/RLREPLAYED/videos/657509867669031 footage of the 1979 Lions' tour match against NSW will be interesting.  You can clearly hear the commentator (who sounds like Ray Warren) call what was then the the 25 yard line in Britain "the 22", meaning the 22 metre line.  He described a kick which rolled out of bounds as having gone out "about 7 metres inside the 22".

On 05/05/2023 at 10:12, Gomersall said:

If you’ve never been, Australia will blow your mind David. They can’t make up their minds which measure to use for serving beer. Midi, schooner, pot, pint 🤯 Weirdos the lot of ‘em.

Unfair to say all Aussies are weird....only 95% of them are I'd say