Fri 26th May: SL: Leigh Leopards v Warrington Wolves KO 20:00

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/05/23 at 19:30

7 hours ago, meast said:

It's not finished yet, unless he meant "at some point"?, although as I said, even Leigh fans must be surprised at their form so far?

Probably not as surprised as you Huddersfield fans are with your form with all the build up you got pre season.

Edited by Harry Stottle

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Probably not as surprised as you Huddersfield fans are with your form with all the build up you got pre season.

Not everyone builds their hopes up before a season, I never make any bold predictions personally, that way I can't be disappointed!

Even Watto himself has said that last year even surpassed his expectations, he is in the 3rd year of a 5 year plan and last year was what he targeted for the 4th year.

We appear to far above where he and the coaching staff expected us to be, it was really only the media and fans, our own and others who built us up.

30 minutes ago, meast said:

We appear to far above where he and the coaching staff expected us to be, it was really only the media and fans, our own and others who built us up.

With the best will in the world and whichever way you wish to put it, the recruitment drive that was done at the end of last season was to improve the on- field offering, the evidence shows that Huddersfield have gone backwards from last year, I cant see how with a straight face anyone could say you "appear to be  far above where the coaching staff expected you to be" at this moment in time, perhaps there is a job in politics awaiting members of the Giants coaching staff as Spin Doctors" if their Rugby carrear's come to an end.

No way in the world Huddersfield can be comfortable with where they sit, 5 year plans or not. When you get free reign, like Watson has been given, to build a side, let players go, bring your own in and your carrying the deepest squad in the league and I presume one of the most expensive, being so low in the table can’t be acceptable. You add in the dour style of play and if it is a long term plan, I’m struggling to see what he’s building. 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

With the best will in the world and whichever way you wish to put it, the recruitment drive that was done at the end of last season was to improve the on- field offering, the evidence shows that Huddersfield have gone backwards from last year, I cant see how with a straight face anyone could say you "appear to be  far above where the coaching staff expected you to be" at this moment in time, perhaps there is a job in politics awaiting members of the Giants coaching staff as Spin Doctors" if their Rugby carrear's come to an end.

I'm just trying to be honest by reporting what he said, I'm not trying to spin anything.

He has said last season was unexpected as it wasn't where he had planned us to be.

As for the recruitment, I'm not sure, there's only really Leutele I would have really loved to have seen stay as he was a big part of what we did, but your (or Derek's) money shouted louder.

Marsters and Naiqama are quality additions and have been 2 of our better players, most clubs would have brought Connor on board if it was offered to them, the others are mainly squad players, something which in hindsight we didn't have enough of last season and we were burned out by the cup final, which then killed us mentality as well.

The reason we are where we are is because the players, individually and collectively haven't been as good as last year, there's plenty time to turn things around.

6 hours ago, WN83 said:

No way in the world Huddersfield can be comfortable with where they sit, 5 year plans or not. When you get free reign, like Watson has been given, to build a side, let players go, bring your own in and your carrying the deepest squad in the league and I presume one of the most expensive, being so low in the table can’t be acceptable. You add in the dour style of play and if it is a long term plan, I’m struggling to see what he’s building. 

He hasn't been given "free reign" he's been given a remit to rebuild things in 5 years and to win some silverware, the board will judge his tenure after those 5 years, not 2.5/3.

The squad isn't necessarily expensive, maybe some players were happy to get a deal to be a squad player in a squad they feel could win silverware?

2 hours ago, meast said:

I'm just trying to be honest by reporting what he said, I'm not trying to spin anything.

He has said last season was unexpected as it wasn't where he had planned us to be.

As for the recruitment, I'm not sure, there's only really Leutele I would have really loved to have seen stay as he was a big part of what we did, but your (or Derek's) money shouted louder.

Marsters and Naiqama are quality additions and have been 2 of our better players, most clubs would have brought Connor on board if it was offered to them, the others are mainly squad players, something which in hindsight we didn't have enough of last season and we were burned out by the cup final, which then killed us mentality as well.

The reason we are where we are is because the players, individually and collectively haven't been as good as last year, there's plenty time to turn things around.

Would the Challenge Cup Final finishing 2 minutes earlier have put a different spin on things ? 

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Would the Challenge Cup Final finishing 2 minutes earlier have put a different spin on things ? 

Undoubtedly, because then he would have won silverware, but as I've stated, it's not just about silverware, it's about changing the whole culture and set up of the playing side of the club.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Undoubtedly, because then he would have won silverware, but as I've stated, it's not just about silverware, it's about changing the whole culture and set up of the playing side of the club.

But surely that's the point , as much as you can set timelines and targets , nobody is ever in complete control of these things , opportunities arise, I was gutted , yes partly because it was Wigan , but more so because it was an opportunity for the Giants , it is winning things that change culture , it shuts up the ' naysayers ' , it creates belief , in fans , in prospective new players 

12 hours ago, meast said:

He hasn't been given "free reign" he's been given a remit to rebuild things in 5 years and to win some silverware, the board will judge his tenure after those 5 years, not 2.5/3.

The squad isn't necessarily expensive, maybe some players were happy to get a deal to be a squad player in a squad they feel could win silverware?

Seems like a fair old licence to me. He came in and went on a signing spree and that’s carried on ever since. He isn’t building the club by blooding youth or working to build on what was there when he turned in. It’s been a bit like Powell at Wire-come in, tear the squad up, keep the few you’re happy with and get your own guys in. He’s made nearly 20 signings by my reckoning since he came in, including some guys well in to their 30’s. He has the deepest squad in the league in terms of first team experience. If that squad isn’t costing as much as anyones in the league I’d be surprised and with that comes expectation to produce ‘now’.

It just feels like an extremely easy ride for Watson if a really poor season to date is just brushed under the carpet because there is a plan to maybe win something within 5 years. He’s got a better squad on paper than HKR, Leigh and Salford IMO and and those 3 clubs/coaches are comfortably out performing his side.

• Like 1