Giving up /reducing booze ....

19 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

I retried Guinness zero. Better than first time had 3 sadly woke up feeling like itld drank a bottle of rum. 

Christ knows what is in it.

I've had 'phantom' hangovers after low alcohol beer....think it psychological (and maybe the taste of beer in the mouth during a morning!)

19 hours ago, metallithrax said:

Me and the girlfriend have been drinking maybe 8 beers a day since mid November when her father was taken ill (he died 25th November).  First day off was Saturday 30th.  Large session on new year and now for dry January again.

Not easy is it? Especially when it's paired with coping with other things 

I have no answers but two tips I'm finding reduce my drinking at least are 

1. Non alcohol beer first before real stuff or instead 

2. Start drinking late as possible on your 'drinking' days ..I aim for 8pm start on Saturdays! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not easy is it? Especially when it's paired with coping with other things 

I have no answers but two tips I'm finding reduce my drinking at least are 

1. Non alcohol beer first before real stuff or instead 

2. Start drinking late as possible on your 'drinking' days ..I aim for 8pm start on Saturdays! 

Actually, last year we had been drinking the same sort of amounts for a lot longer ( 5 times a week for over 12 months).

Dry January wasn't a problem and after that we continued with drinking a couple of times a week.  We don't depend on drink, we just like a drink.  It helps that we are also dieting to lose weight.

On 04/01/2024 at 18:37, metallithrax said:

Actually, last year we had been drinking the same sort of amounts for a lot longer ( 5 times a week for over 12 months).

Dry January wasn't a problem and after that we continued with drinking a couple of times a week.  We don't depend on drink, we just like a drink.  It helps that we are also dieting to lose weight.

Good on you then if you find it easy 

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Never say never 

Well, at 55yo and girlfriend at 50yo, I can guarantee they're will be no kids.😁

Most people where I work like a drink, some see it as a bad night out if they didn't get wasted.  Personally I don't drink to get drunk, I just like a drink.

One lad has been on and off (very heavy) drinking for over a year.  It sucks because he will go for two to three weeks and be fine, then something sets him off again.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Out of interest, what are you sleeping like?

Much better 

I am loathe to say it but after 17 days now ( my new record) ...everything is better - everything 

- less anxiety / irritability 

- better sleep 

-lost 5 pounds with absolutely no effort 

- I look a LOT better, skin so much better already 

-enjoying watching sport on TV and live a lot more - I can concentrate more

-enjoying music and telly more 

- saved loads of money 

- drank red bull / no alcohol beers and seen two live matches (one rugby one soccer)...done a mini break away with missus now a 3 day family break

****Ing annoying to admit it but I think I just need to try and be tee total ...I can't be a moderate drinker just like i cant be a nice be a moderate smoker or sports gambler (gave those up 9 and 15 years respectively) 

13 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Much better 

I am loathe to say it but after 17 days now ( my new record) ...everything is better - everything 

- less anxiety / irritability 

- better sleep 

-lost 5 pounds with absolutely no effort 

- I look a LOT better, skin so much better already 

-enjoying watching sport on TV and live a lot more - I can concentrate more

-enjoying music and telly more 

- saved loads of money 

- drank red bull / no alcohol beers and seen two live matches (one rugby one soccer)...done a mini break away with missus now a 3 day family break

****Ing annoying to admit it but I think I just need to try and be tee total ...I can't be a moderate drinker just like i cant be a nice be a moderate smoker or sports gambler (gave those up 9 and 15 years respectively) 

Fantastic to hear that.  Keep going now.

There is a lot of mileage in having your evening meal at 1700 and not then eating again until 0900ish the following day, together with cutting out as much sugar as possible. You might think this is difficult but it isn’t and it virtually guarantees a good sleep.  
I never wake up hungry but unfortunately booze sends my body out of kilter with it.  I love a drink but rarely go OTT.

• Like 1

6 days without booze and I'm sleeping like a baby - waking up screaming and crying 3 times during the night and soiling myself twice!

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile