One armed international

LiamG

I'm just at the Netherlands v Norway game. Norway sub prop has one arm and to be fair is playing a blinder. Just wondering if there's ever been a player at international with only one arm? Also just heard his son is also in the team, is that another first for international rl?

• Like 3

I saw the chap with one arm playing for Norway against Poland last year.

Kerry Gibson an Australian, who played for Runcorn back in the eighties (and was definitely one of their better players) had one arm, as did Derek Bridgeman of Sheffield Eagles.

1 hour ago, LiamG said:

I'm just at the Netherlands v Norway game. Norway sub prop has one arm and to be fair is playing a blinder. Just wondering if there's ever been a player at international with only one arm? Also just heard his son is also in the team, is that another first for international rl?

Outside PDRL, I assume?

At club level, there was Kerry Gibson, a fiery Australian winger who played for Wests Magpies (probably reserves, not the 1st team) and Runcorn.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JonM said:

I saw the chap with one arm playing for Norway against Poland last year.

Kerry Gibson an Australian, who played for Runcorn back in the eighties (and was definitely one of their better players) had one arm, as did Derek Bridgeman of Sheffield Eagles.

Derek had - and still has - two arms.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheffieldeagles.com%2Four-club%2Fhistory%2F&psig=AOvVaw0IYAxCPR-salzPoswhQG_L&ust=1696178599494000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCKiTourj0oEDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

(Scroll down a bit - photo is on the right about a quarter way down)

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Derek had - and still has - two arms.

You're right - his arm was paralysed rather than missing, wasn't it? His son is at Leeds academy I think.

I remember Kerry Gibson getting into a fight in our local in Runcorn. He could certainly punch very hard indeed.

33 minutes ago, JonM said:

You're right - his arm was paralysed rather than missing, wasn't it? His son is at Leeds academy I think.

No, just not as strong as the other.   Mekhi was at Midland Hurricanes last I heard.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, LiamG said:

Sonny is his name I think. He has been representing Norway for over a decade and has always torn it up. I expect he will be getting to the latter stages of playing age, but considering he was such a standout in his earlier days, I expect he will still have the skills to rip it up at that level.

Edited by Sports Prophet