The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

3 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Catchment area is defined as "the population of the local authority district where the clubs stadium is located divided by the number of Tier 1 and Tier 2 clubs in the same area".  Figures based on the 2021 census.

That still doesn't say it has anything to do with attendances...

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

What's it about. Clubs should move to improve their score....because catchment.....to what end if not because of the relationship between catchment and market size.....and if it doesn't matter if you capture a chunk of the market then again why??? 

Read the grading book it’s about community it doesn’t mention attendance figures, that is in the fandom section 

14 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Catchment area is defined as "the population of the local authority district where the clubs stadium is located divided by the number of Tier 1 and Tier 2 clubs in the same area".  Figures based on the 2021 census.

And? How us that about attendance figures?

Ill admit i was wrong about Bradford and London in my previous post.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

You are saying there is no sporting contest at the bottom end of the table which as there is no relegation you must think that is true for the NRL.

There are no relegation battles in the NRL, which is what transpires in our league system, sorry should have said transpired.

39 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I'm not great at maths, but in absolute terms, isn't 13,000 a lot bigger than 7000? 

If we're only looking at attendances relative to catchment, then we should put a Super League club in Hutton-le-Hole and just persuade the 150 residents to attend. Then we'd hit 100% of the catchment! Woohoo!

Too far from the M62 though.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And? How us that about attendance figures?

Ill admit i was wrong about Bradford and London in my previous post.

Again, where have I mentioned anything about attendances? Catchment appears in  the Community section. The objective of the Community section is "to maximise growth of the sport in the largest markets to generate new fan bases".  The first thing it does is give you points for the size of your district.  As things stand a club doing absolutely nothing could receive 1.5 points just because of its district. What are you not understanding?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 minute ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Again, where have I mentioned anything about attendances? Catchment appears in  the Community section. The objective of the Community section is "to maximise growth of the sport in the largest markets to generate new fan bases".  The first thing it does is give you points for the size of your district.  As things stand a club doing absolutely nothing could receive 1.5 points just because of its district. What are you not understanding?

I think we are talking at cross purposes. You seem to be saying exactly the same as I am. I am not the one equating catchment and attendances, i’m doing the exact opposite.

It says maximise growth in the largest markets.....just plonking a club in a large market and 👏 means nowt....but this gets rewarded and staying in a town you have been in for over a hundred years but 2 other clubs are deemed to be in that market (they are saying the market is merely the Wakefield metro Council) that gets punished. So Fev could move to Dubai or Las Vegas set up shop but see reduced product sales. But hey ho we got rewarded 👏 it's all a tad daft. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

It says maximise growth in the largest markets.....just plonking a club in a large market and 👏 means nowt....but this gets rewarded and staying in a town you have been in for over a hundred years but 2 other clubs are deemed to be in that market (they are saying the market is merely the Wakefield metro Council) that gets punished. So Fev could move to Dubai or Las Vegas set up shop but see reduced product sales. But hey ho we got rewarded 👏 it's all a tad daft. 

Well yes they could do that but to do that to get an advantage in a criteria worth 12.5% whilst downgrading all your other grades would be a little bit stupid wouldn’t it.

The whole point about that section is to look to expand into larger catchment areas, it gives expansion clubs a bit of a leg up I admit but that’s its intention.

Its fine to disagree with that but thst is what it’s there for IMO.

Leeds are just fortunate that they are already in a large catchment area, but the amount of work they do within that catchment area with the foundation shouldn’t be underestimated, they don’t just sit back and do nothing.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Well yes they could do that but to do that to get an advantage in a criteria worth 12.5% whilst downgrading all your other grades would be a little bit stupid wouldn’t it.

The whole point about that section is to look to expand into larger catchment areas, it gives expansion clubs a bit of a leg up I admit but that’s its intention.

Its fine to disagree with that but thst is what it’s there for IMO.

Leeds are just fortunate that they are already in a large catchment area, but the amount of work they do within that catchment area with the foundation shouldn’t be underestimated, they don’t just sit back and do nothing.

I know Leeds Junior amateur clubs are a vital part of the West Yorkshire Junior amateur club scene which is a crucial part of the national community game, I'm not underestimating that. 👍

I know Leeds Junior amateur clubs are a vital part of the West Yorkshire Junior amateur club scene which is a crucial part of the national community game, I'm not underestimating that. 👍

On the other side of that coin I think you'll agree the Wakey District clubs are the other vital part but 3 RFL clubs get spanked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the other side of that coin I think you'll agree the Wakey District clubs are the other vital part but 3 RFL clubs get spanked. 

Yes but the point being that area is shared by 3 clubs and to spread the game it’s better to have 3 clubs doing that work in 3 large areas, that’s the point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes but the point being that area is shared by 3 clubs and to spread the game it’s better to have 3 clubs doing that work in 3 large areas, that’s the point.

They are playing things like football and basketball in all the other local authority areas because they are less physically demanding, can be played without recruiting a large number of core players (I.e small sided which is not much different from playing the full version of the game compared to say touch rugby) ......and it can be played on a variety of surfaces both indoor and outdoor......its mission impossible to start something great and important. 

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They are playing things like football and basketball in all the other local authority areas because they are less physically demanding, can be played without recruiting a large number of core players (I.e small sided which is not much different from playing the full version of the game compared to say touch rugby) ......and it can be played on a variety of surfaces both indoor and outdoor......its mission impossible to start something great and important. 

Eh, that makes no sense at all im afraid in context of the point being made.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Eh, that makes no sense at all im afraid in context of the point being made.

Community. It's terribly hard to magic up a genuine lasting Community, so we aren't gonna see new power houses spring up in large markets or existing clubs relocating to large markets so its all bull. 

• Thanks 1

Community. It's terribly hard to magic up a genuine lasting Community, so we aren't gonna see new power houses spring up in large markets or existing clubs relocating to large markets so its all bull. 

They aren’t playing RL in those other catchment areas because there aren’t clubs doing the work in the community in those areas, that’s exactly the point!

They certainly won’t be any if the game doesn’t reward the clubs that try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any high grade B, Toulouse, Featherstone, Bradford, York, Widnes....would have had a crack at staying in SL just from SL status. Except London, SL status isn't gonna give them enough of an img boost come next rankings. Now it's almost impossible from all on the outside. Except perhaps those with recent residue SL status like Cas & Wakey. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Smudger06 said:

Any high grade B, Toulouse, Featherstone, Bradford, York, Widnes....would have had a crack at staying in SL just from SL status. Except London, SL status isn't gonna give them enough of an img boost come next rankings. Now it's almost impossible from all on the outside. Except perhaps those with recent residue SL status like Cas & Wakey. 

Semore kudri probs saw that, so this system looks like its gonna attract less serious investors.