James Roby inducted into the St Helens Hall of Fame

43 minutes ago, M j M said:

What was the logic in breaking the rules to induct him?

In the Saints article on their site, it is described as a break in tradition.  I suspect there are no hard and fast rules here.

There is a degree of short termism here though.  While I believe that Roby will go down as one of the greats of our game, the Saints site describe him as the Greatest of All Time which for a club that has boasted the likes of Alex Murphy, Tom van Vollenhoven and Keiran Cunningham (among many others) is a big statement.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In the Saints article on their site, it is described as a break in tradition.  I suspect there are no hard and fast rules here.

There is a degree of short termism here though.  While I believe that Roby will go down as one of the greats of our game, the Saints site describe him as the Greatest of All Time which for a club that has boasted the likes of Alex Murphy, Tom van Vollenhoven and Keiran Cunningham (among many others) is a big statement.

100% this, it is recency bias. It can't be helped for the most part - He will probably be judged more accurately in 20 years time (in comparison to other "GOATS" of St Helens. But then you also get less and less people who would have seen those older players live. 

A younger fan would never have seen the likes of van Vollenhoven (For example, I have seen the name written on here, but have no idea who he really is), or even younger never have seen Cunningham play so can't really compare to Roby who they have seen for the last 10 + years playing for them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Click said:

100% this, it is recency bias. It can't be helped for the most part - He will probably be judged more accurately in 20 years time (in comparison to other "GOATS" of St Helens. But then you also get less and less people who would have seen those older players live. 

A younger fan would never have seen the likes of van Vollenhoven (For example, I have seen the name written on here, but have no idea who he really is), or even younger never have seen Cunningham play so can't really compare to Roby who they have seen for the last 10 + years playing for them.

I agree.  And I think there is a good discussion to be had here but I am also wary that it would come across as disrespectful to Roby (which it wouldn't be, but perception is king as they say) so I will say congratulations to James Roby for a well deserved honour.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks, without looking I assumed it was similar to the specific rules of many halls of fame that a player had to be retired for five years before entering. This is the policy at the main RFL one and others e.g. the NSWRL one. At Leeds it's the reason Danny McGuire isn't in there - the exception they made was to induct Rob Burrow early.

• Like 1