21 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think it does the sport more harm than good, playing up to every stereotype people think about RL.

If it was just few column inches that said "here's some funny one-eyed radgey commentary, have a laugh", I'd agree.

But this long-form article is a lot more than that. In fact it's really good. The author is Elgan Alderman, an unfamiliar name to me.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think it does the sport more harm than good, playing up to every stereotype people think about RL.

That’s because people like you have in inbuilt snobbish inferiority complex. Most of us celebrate being northern, quirks and all. We don’t need to apologise to anyone.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

This is  just a daft inferiority complex, theres loads of things like this in loads of sports, they celebrate their famous moments and live in them. Some of our fans instantly cringe inwards at being spot lighted.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

This is  just a daft inferiority complex, theres loads of things like this in loads of sports, they celebrate their famous moments and live in them. Some of our fans instantly cringe inwards at being spot lighted.

They tend to have a bit more variety. This clip seems to be the only one played these days.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They tend to have a bit more variety. This clip seems to be the only one played these days.

Theres loads replayed, wide to west is one of the most viewed for example. But whats the problem anyway, its a fantastic piece of our history, embrace it, enjoy it.

• Like 1

As I said before, the article is about much more than Mick Morgan's meltdown.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Theres loads replayed, wide to west is one of the most viewed for example. But whats the problem anyway, its a fantastic piece of our history, embrace it, enjoy it.

In England, for most of the past three decades, I've followed my own club and the lower tier they play in. My primary elite-level interest is the NRL. In some respects therefore I'm a bit closer to the average person than many on here. Only recently did I become aware of the iconic status of "Wide to West". However, I am entirely familiar with the Mick Morgan commentary. Couldn't say how often I've heard it, or when and where. Same way I recognize actors in TV soaps I've never watched.

If that experience is anything to go by, it indicates what the national media still see as a quintessentially RL trope.