Match Thread: 1895 Cup Fev

DF I thought I was the supposed to be the Doubting Thomas of all things Batley Bulldogs. Be careful, you'll be getting MY bad name!! Seriously 22-32.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RogerT said:

Strong team that but beatable.

Think that's fair comment, we at Fev (like Batley perhaps) are very much at the start of a rebuild and whilst there's still plenty of quality dotted around the team there are also lots of newcomers and it's hard to say where we are at right now. This definitely isn't like the Fev teams of the last 2 years where we often steamrollered the opposition through sheer power but then that didn't get us very far at the end of season as you guys well know.

We had too much for a pretty weak Hunslet team last week but we'd been "rolled" in James Ford's words by Bradford in our first pre-season game, despite the final score, and I doubt we will dominate field position against better teams like we have over the last two years, the stated aim of the club this season is a top 6 finish which is obviously setting sights a bit lower than previous years.

We've often found Batley tough opponents even with what were on paper stronger teams than this so I'd expect a close game tomorrow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think that's fair comment, we at Fev (like Batley perhaps) are very much at the start of a rebuild and whilst there's still plenty of quality dotted around the team there are also lots of newcomers and it's hard to say where we are at right now. This definitely isn't like the Fev teams of the last 2 years where we often steamrollered the opposition through sheer power but then that didn't get us very far at the end of season as you guys well know.

We had too much for a pretty weak Hunslet team last week but we'd been "rolled" in James Ford's words by Bradford in our first pre-season game, despite the final score, and I doubt we will dominate field position against better teams like we have over the last two years, the stated aim of the club this season is a top 6 finish which is obviously setting sights a bit lower than previous years.

We've often found Batley tough opponents even with what were on paper stronger teams than this so I'd expect a close game tomorrow.

Hope it's a good game,   but come end of season there is only going to be 1 team promoted , and that as we all know is going to be Wakey. 

• Like 1

Very true, sport as gone out of the window. Kerry Packer and Lindsey saw to that.

• Like 1

Well, well!! That was a team showing,  every player, every non-player pushing for a shirt; coaches and staff, tremendous strength-sapping performance!! I'm first to complain that we don't spend but today shows that even if you do spend and pay great wages it'll never beat a team with a heart. Proud of those lads today.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Those days are gone, alas. Both our clubs know what it's like to be 1 game from SL, but it's decided by spreadsheets rather than sporting endeavours now.

I give it five years, tops, before it all changes again...

• Like 1

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Thank goodness somebody is awake even Facebook gave up at halftime, I couldn't make the match today. Thanks Phil.

3 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Great win for our boys today to turn the mighty fev over. Couldn't get there today due to work. Looking forward to folks posts on the match.

Ditto - family commitment kept us away. It looks like it was a cracker.

Hopefully we'll get some highlights posted!

• Like 1

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

2 minutes ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

I give it five years, tops, before it all changes again...

I'll give less more like 2 years.