"On the Road" games coming back?

Maybe SL should just target 2 or 3 areas over a 5 year period and play all the ‘on the road’ games there throughout the season. Push the game and SL in these areas to create a bit of a following, school and community club development and maybe even some tier 3 academies linked to SL clubs. Areas with potential, population, some development already and a lower league club or Southern Conference club already in the area. For example, London, Newcastle/NE and maybe somewhere closer to home like Manchester, Liverpool or Sheffield could be targeted 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Midlands and SW are a difficult one imo. None are local and big event destinations.

As for Cumbria, for the same reason there isn't a Super League team there, there isn't a venue to match other than maybe Brunton Park. That would stand out compared to the other examples though.

Midlands - Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolverhampton

SW - Bristol, Gloucester, Exeter

Cumbria - Derwent Park (is that the 10k for WC games) or Carlisle

Wales - Wrexham, Cardiff

Scotland - Aberdeen, Edinburgh although Scotland have american football so a bit tougher to crack 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Maybe SL should just target 2 or 3 areas over a 5 year period and play all the ‘on the road’ games there throughout the season. Push the game and SL in these areas to create a bit of a following, school and community club development and maybe even some tier 3 academies linked to SL clubs. Areas with potential, population, some development already and a lower league club or Southern Conference club already in the area. For example, London, Newcastle/NE and maybe somewhere closer to home like Manchester, Liverpool or Sheffield could be targeted 

IF it were to be done, and I'm not sure of its merits, but that is exactly the way I would do it.. 5-10 years though or its just not going to do anything at all. 

I’ve thought for a while a French “Magique” day could work. Pick one of Paris, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Montpellier etc. Triple header Elite 1 game then Toulouse and Catalans playing English sides. Something like:

Carcassone V Albi
Toulouse V Leeds or Bradford (depending on which league they’re in)
Catalans V Wigan

Could do something similar in places like Newcastle or London really, play the local team as a curtain raiser to one or 2 Super League games.

Some strategy would have to go in to it to try and attract news fans though, how exactly is the million dollar question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I’ve thought for a while a French “Magique” day could work. Pick one of Paris, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Montpellier etc. Triple header Elite 1 game then Toulouse and Catalans playing English sides. Something like:

Carcassone V Albi
Toulouse V Leeds or Bradford (depending on which league they’re in)
Catalans V Wigan

Could do something similar in places like Newcastle or London really, play the local team as a curtain raiser to one or 2 Super League games.

Some strategy would have to go in to it to try and attract news fans though, how exactly is the million dollar question.

Edit: sorry ignore me I was thinking the Elite 1 teams.. 

Edited by RP London