Rochdale v Hunslet

It is now match day and I still do not have my ticket. Before reaching out to the community with the intention of increasing the support base it is important to keep the existing supporters. it is unwise to treat us with disdain. When I attend  matches I am fully aware of the missing faces.

A reliable goal kicker and more self discipline would have won the day against a good Hunslet team. Martin Ridyard didn’t play so he was a loss for us with both his kicking in open play and goal kicking

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

Thought the first 20 minutes we were all over them, we used the ball well and made good yards up the middle. Unfortunately we let Hunslet drag us into a fight in the later stages of the first half and we didn't stick to the game plan. I don't know why we didn't take the two. Second half we squandered some chances but showed determination in getting back and defending our line when Hunslet looked like they were clear. Hunslet are going to be in a similer position as Hornets at the end of the season and with the game up for grabs I can't help feel an opportunity was missed.

8 hours ago, E.Thickett said:

It is now match day and I still do not have my ticket. Before reaching out to the community with the intention of increasing the support base it is important to keep the existing supporters. it is unwise to treat us with disdain. When I attend  matches I am fully aware of the missing faces.

Have you got your season ticket yet mate?

We beat ourselves really. We had them rocking after an error free start but got dragged into a more attritional sort of game. The twenty minutes before half time killed us. Too many easy penalties and too many wrong choices with the ball, especially the decision not to take the two bang in front of goal. I could have back heeled that one over. I don’t think we “ got to the kick , once in that period. The game was going to be hard to pull back from the half time score. 
What was encouraging was the way we stuck at it and came back in the second half. We deserved a draw I thought but you don’t always get what you deserve. We played some good rugby with the ball in hand. The length of the field try was worth the price of admission alone.
I thought we missed the experience of Ridyard and McNally. If Ridyard had have been playing he would have kicked that goal at the end, it was a relatively easy kick for a right footer.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Great game yesterday,  end to end game and so good to watch. Yes if Ridyard had played he would have kicked that easy goal kick late on to make it a 26.26 draw which would have been a fair result .  I was surprised your player missed that kick at goal. I thought Lewis Else was the best player on the pitch to be honest with his electrifying pace I won't see a better back I don't think all season. Rochdale have improved a lot from last season and will win a lot more games than lose them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We beat ourselves really. We had them rocking after an error free start but got dragged into a more attritional sort of game. The twenty minutes before half time killed us. Too many easy penalties and too many wrong choices with the ball, especially the decision not to take the two bang in front of goal. I could have back heeled that one over. I don’t think we “ got to the kick , once in that period. The game was going to be hard to pull back from the half time score. 
What was encouraging was the way we stuck at it and came back in the second half. We deserved a draw I thought but you don’t always get what you deserve. We played some good rugby with the ball in hand. The length of the field try was worth the price of admission alone.
I thought we missed the experience of Ridyard and McNally. If Ridyard had have been playing he would have kicked that goal at the end, it was a relatively easy kick for a right footer.

Good summary of the game ! The lads did get drawn in but hopefully its a learning curve ! Onwards and Upwards. If Riddy and Greg had played the whole game we wouldn't have needed the  late goal kick. We would have been 'out of sight'

• Like 1

Hopefully, Ridyard and McNally will be playing against the neighbours - any news?   Their presence would help to give us a good chance to return with a point or two and redress our annoying loss yesterday.  Should be a cracker -hopefully some extra white and blue to mix with the red.  The match is only one of 4 games on Sunday and good weather, which could mean a bumper crowd.  

I agree with the majority here that had Ridyard been on the park its a win and probably an easy days work.

A lot of L1 clubs have been bemoaning bad luck with injuries but to our credit we have just got on with it. What has gone under the radar is both first team hookers Roden and Wilkinson have been out injured since the 1895 cup games and both didn't play at Midlands or Sunday. The arrival of Openshaw has helped lessen the blow but it should be noted we have been starting with a young and inexperienced half back at nine, Matty Rudd.

Ridyard came off in the second half at Midlands and we lost McNally early on Sunday. That's pretty much the spine of what would be our best side decimated.

AJ Boardman also suffered a serious injury in the 1895 Cup game at home and is out long term and Kenny Baker was forced to retire.

It would seem we are doing it tough from Thorntons comments in his post match interview Sunday and we may be struggling to field 17 Sunday.

But for bad luck this last few years we would have no luck at all, however on what I've seen so far we are in a much better place than last year and id expect us to comfortably make the play offs and the push top 3/4 especially with Ridyard to come back in and the arrival of Whittel.

The next couple of weeks could be tough going to Oldham and Workington but I feel this team will achieve its goals this year and with the new contract for Else its clear there is a plan and we are building.

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet

23 minutes ago, E.Thickett said:

Why will we struggle to turn out a team? We have a dual reg. agreement with Bradford

I am sure that if we are struggling to turn out 17 the coach will look at what Bradford have to offer.. 

3 hours ago, E.Thickett said:

Why will we struggle to turn out a team? We have a dual reg. agreement with Bradford

I'm going off what Thornton says in his post match interview on Sunday (link below). 

Quote- we're going to have to re-group on Wednesday, see what the situation is and hopefully put out 17 players who can compete against Oldham.

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1375/thornton-disappointed-as-hornets-dealt-first-league-defeat-of-season

You would imagine we may need to call on duel reg reading that.