v Whitehaven (A)

Raider83

Got beaten by the basics of rugby league today. 

Haven completed better, less errors and better discipline. 

Their first 3 tries came from having a kick charged down, not kicking a penalty into touch and knocking in our own half. 

We also did 3 incorrect play the balls in one game which must be a record for semi professional football. 

Whitehaven did the basics well and deserved their win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raider91 said:

10 points up why on earth are we going for a short drop out. Didn't work, invited pressure lead to two tries for haven. Horrendous decision making.

Missed that from my post, absolutely brain dead. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ulverstonian said:

Same old same old. Argghhhh.  Something must change as we have the same ###### every week already as last season. Sort it out Mr Chairman 

There's basic improvements to start winning games, we shown we could beat Haven away in the 1895 cup. 

Long way to go, it's not panic stations. 

• Like 1

Another great advert for Cumbria RL. Was said from when the fixtures were announced that Haven needed to get a good start so great to be 2/2.. from Barrow point of view, own worst enemy it seemed, silly errors and costly penalties which came back to haunt you. That Ramon Silva has some engine on him, think it would be a worry if Barrow were to ever lose him

• Like 1

Haven wer the better side today and thankfully we got on the end of a drop goal that whent out way and with quite a few injuries to our squad will only getting better when back. Didn’t u guys have a lot of injuries? Because that looked a very strong side barrow had out today well done on a good game good luck for the rest of the season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSN said:

Got beaten by the basics of rugby league today. 

Haven completed better, less errors and better discipline. 

Their first 3 tries came from having a kick charged down, not kicking a penalty into touch and knocking in our own half. 

We also did 3 incorrect play the balls in one game which must be a record for semi professional football. 

Whitehaven did the basics well and deserved their win. 

I can't make games on Good Fridays, so can't comment from personal experience.

But once again our lack of the BASICS is a problem and that's inexcusable for a professional team.

At Widnes it was too many offsides and sin bins, this week it's too many playing-the-balls mistakes, not finding touch, etc.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot and losing games because of it - not because the opposition was the better team.

That's what hurts and lack of discipline will kill you every time.

Cresta needs to get this sorted at training or York will beat us next week and we'll be 0 - 3 and we'll be bottom of the league.

• Like 1

Clearly  the club or coach dosent think he's up to it or of the required standard .  I think the club need to make it clear ..he's either injured ' not training well enough or not deemed good enough  ( last one is unlikely) The club made such a fan fair with his arrival and they select a 20 year old loanee on a two week loan with no professional experience  over a PNG int ..something dosent add up.

• Like 1

Totally get people's frustration and their entitled to be but come on ,two games in,both away to clubs many others will fall at ,this bunch will be absolutely fine ,got no doubt about that,gillam nearing comeback who will add loads of go forward,broady will be back,this teams style of play will flourish once we get dry tracks (yes Widnes is plastic I know) ,tidy up discipline and daft mistakes and only way is up 

• Like 2

As others have said, let down by the bread and butter stuff yesterday 

Everyone seems to realise these soft penalties kill us, yet they’re given away week in week out

Cresta said mid week that the team who make the least errors will win and he was right 

• Like 1

Think what disappoints me again is Ryan Johnston's performance, missing touch from a penalty, poor ill thought out drop out from under the posts in 2nd half, kick charged down by Haven forward.  Feel he should stop trying to wind opponents up and concentrate on his own game, he is more than good enough.

Having said that he has been outstanding in other games but like too many of the squad seems to panic when under pressure, Haven looked more composed in setting up the drop goal, we were all over the place.

Will still be there shouting on the lads but please cut out the errors/mistakes and the wins will come.

• Like 3
foggieraider13.gif

1 hour ago, foggieraider13 said:

Think what disappoints me again is Ryan Johnston's performance, missing touch from a penalty, poor ill thought out drop out from under the posts in 2nd half, kick charged down by Haven forward.  Feel he should stop trying to wind opponents up and concentrate on his own game, he is more than good enough.

Having said that he has been outstanding in other games but like too many of the squad seems to panic when under pressure, Haven looked more composed in setting up the drop goal, we were all over the place.

Will still be there shouting on the lads but please cut out the errors/mistakes and the wins will come.

Ryan plays his best rugby when he is calm, measured and sticks to a basic game plan. 

I feel every time he has a run of good games he gets over confident and tries too hard to make things happen which leads to mistakes. 

Best game I saw him play was Bradford away last year. He didn't do a lot apart from direct the team round and kick them to death which won us the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foggieraider13 said:

Couldn't agree more r.e Johnston. From an opposition point of view, last few times I've seen him it seems he's tried harder to wind up opposition players rather than the game itself, now granted I don't see him every week so that's just my own view.

Between him and Carter yesterday I know which half I'd prefer to have, still baffled as to barrow letting him go but I'm pleased they did 🤣

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Haven 123 said:

I would love Johnson at Haven his kicking game is outstanding 

He’s class just never shuts up twining about everything to the officials 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ghost of uncle fester said:

Totally get people's frustration and their entitled to be but come on ,two games in,both away to clubs many others will fall at ,this bunch will be absolutely fine ,got no doubt about that,gillam nearing comeback who will add loads of go forward,broady will be back,this teams style of play will flourish once we get dry tracks (yes Widnes is plastic I know) ,tidy up discipline and daft mistakes and only way is up 

Gillam and Broadbent back will make a difference, Gillam and Tom walker together up there as one of the best starting prop duos in the league, Broady brings that bit of grit and always gives 110. thought the loan lads put a shift in and thought Ryan Shaw was barrows best player gets in for plenty carries and his footwork is the best I’ve seen in that team. 

• Like 2