Dewsbury H

HP Beans

Same 2nd half as last week. We can't seem to control games. They made way too many yards easily 2nd half and I agree some of them lost the plot. Emslie was very very good and I am afraid Brad Walker very poor again.  I think we could do with a lively stand off to speed things up

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RSN said:

26 - 4 at HT and scraped a win 27-20. 

Due to a medical emergency half time was 45 mins. Dewsbury came into the second half fired up and we made a lot of errors second half which brought them back into the game. 

Emslie had his best game in a Barrow shirt and thoroughly deserved man of the match. 

Thought Kavan Rothwell was my motm great player hope we can keep him or even try sign him for next year 

• Like 4

Definitely a game of 2 halves, 1st half we played some brilliant rugby resulting in some fabulous tries especially the one by Broadbent, at half time it should have been game over, but the long stoppage didn't do us any favours,(Hope the guy in question makes a speedy recovery) Dewsbury came out after the break a different side, we played into there hands losing the ball on the 4th and 5th tackle countless times, thankfully a late Jono drop goal settled the nerves but that was far too close for comfort. On a positive note Charlie had a great game today, arguably his best in a Barrow shirt.

• Like 4
richiekeay.gif

13 hours ago, Ulverstonian said:

Same 2nd half as last week. We can't seem to control games. They made way too many yards easily 2nd half and I agree some of them lost the plot. Emslie was very very good and I am afraid Brad Walker very poor again.  I think we could do with a lively stand off to speed things up

Completely agree and would give Jackson a run out against Donny. 

Edited by Masters 13
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

16 hours ago, Rod77 said:

Thought Kavan Rothwell was my motm great player hope we can keep him or even try sign him for next year 

Yes,loved the way he came onto the field wanting to get involved straight away,I think he may have scored with his first touch.

Both Rothwell and Forber make terrific impacts from the bench,the longer we can keep hold of them the better👍🏻

• Like 4

This match turned out to be the proverbial game of two halves cliché. Barrow’s tactic for playing into the wind was excellent, winning the ball from both the kick off and the repeat after our early try following your brilliant start, coupled with our deplorable defence, in what I suggested on our forum, was a dross first half for Dewsbury.

I thought that the long half time break would make things worse for us, but for some reason we seemed inspired, very similar to your first half. We ended the first half with a try being disallowed, which I thought might have been okay. Shaw was denied for you at the start of the second period, but I was unable to see why from my viewing position. From that point we were off. Did we play well, or did Barrow not play so good?

A really good game to watch with very few penalties (3-2 to Barrow), fair refereeing and some enjoyable chats with some of your supporters afterwards and handshakes offered and accepted, before the long journey home.

• Like 8
Legs, Dews, Legs.

18 hours ago, Rod77 said:

Was going to post to ask how Rothwell had been doing. He's only on a one year deal at Leigh, so there's the possibility of him signing permanently. But we've a number of young forwards out on loan, and I'd like to think we'll give one or two of them a chance this season.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Masters 13 said:

Completely agree and would give Jackson a run out against Donny. 

haha really,,, do u want to get beat! jackson I no were near championship standard

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bruner said:

haha really,,, do u want to get beat! jackson I no were near championship standard

Really? Care to elaborate?

He hasn't done too bad since joining from the amateur ranks and puts in a good shift when playing. He still may have little knowledge playing in the Championship. However Brad appears to have little knowledge playing at stand off would be better in the 13 position. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ulverstonian said:

Better than Wilkinson in the 13 position ???? I don't think so.

I didn't refer to him being better than Wilkinson, I'm just saying IMO that Brad would suit playing 13 than 6.

• Like 2

Point taken but I don't think he would get in at 13 before Wilkinson was my point. Greenwood or Emslie there in a full squad would be before him in my opinion also.

I just think we need a more attacking stand off with a bit of speed . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ulverstonian said:

Point taken but I don't think he would get in at 13 before Wilkinson was my point. Greenwood or Emslie there in a full squad would be before him in my opinion also.

I just think we need a more attacking stand off with a bit of speed . 

My point entirely. The club and team would benefit with a player that's been dedicated to playing stand off. We have that in Jackson.

Who knows, Brad might mature nicely in the role but for the time being we are playing clubs who's stand off control, guide and run the team. That in its self takes years to develop. 

• Like 1

That second half was symptomatic of how Barrow tend to lose momentum when they look to be in control.

Dewsbury were playing catch-up rugby and somehow, we got suckered into playing catch up rugby as well - desperately trying to kill a game that was already won (and losing possession in the process) when the sensible thing to do was just play the sets and make the opposition re-start from deep in their own half.

• Like 4

Not really Brad's fault he's playing 6,that's the coach's decision, personally think he'll come good anyway but I would say his best position is at 13,that's where he made his name at Widnes and Wakefield,only when he went to Keighley that he went into the halves ,he was always a classy ball handling loose ,not sure why anyone can say hes worse than Wilko when Brad's not played in what is his best position , nevertheless not quite hit the full straps yet but two consecutive wins 👌

• Like 2

The thing with the half back pairings, you need a mix of player,Johnson not the quickest same as walker,could do with a bit of pace and support play the other half dictate and kick,both seem to want to do the same job.but not a lot of decent half's about anymore,more a loose forward turning  half's in the modern game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Town utd said:

The thing with the half back pairings, you need a mix of player,Johnson not the quickest same as walker,could do with a bit of pace and support play the other half dictate and kick,both seem to want to do the same job.but not a lot of decent half's about anymore,more a loose forward turning  half's in the modern game.

Probably doesn't help that Cressy and Wood aren't particularly quick either hence our whole spine doesn't have a huge amount of strike. 

When Forber comes on it makes a noticeable difference to the whole side due to his pace. 

Still need to give it time though. We have played 4 league games and have 2 wins. Hasn't been the best conditions for attacking rugby either so I think we need to be patient. 

• Like 3

On 15/04/2024 at 18:01, bruner said:

And Brad walker is? in a lot of peoples opinion he’s not!

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 16:58, BarraFan said:

And Brad walker is? in a lot of peoples opinion he’s not!

100% one of barras best players. U dont see the work he does. 

I wud give forber more minites then wood too as he gives us so much more going forward,,,,

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 19/04/2024 at 13:53, bruner said:

100% one of barras best players. U dont see the work he does. 

I wud give forber more minites then wood too as he gives us so much more going forward,,,,

Certainly not today, not a stand off for me, at least look before you Chuck a pass out to sidelines.
We also got exposed at centre with broadbent, I like him but he’s not a centre. We need some size in the centres to match other teams. 

Overall, we got beat by a bigger side today. 
Would also like to see our half’s taking teams on like Donny’s did today. At least make teams think about what we’re doing other than a one pass play each time, over and over. 

• Like 2