Remi Wilton joins York Valkyrie

This ones's a bit left-field ! Ex- ACT Brumbies RU and Canberra Raiders skipper (last seen playing for the Capras I think) touched down in the UK on Tuesday and was training in York yesterday 😮

• Like 1

I have never heard of her, it looks like she may have had a year out going by her Insta.

Its a surprise signing because I think Hetherington & Eastwood can handle the hooking role plus there is young gun Abbie Millward in the under 19’s.

Still no word of Wigan’s new Aussie yet.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BroncoFan said:

I have never heard of her, it looks like she may have had a year out going by her Insta.

Yep - she's been working on cattle station in Western Queensland !

Edited by RBKnight

Quick bit of research unearthed an article containing these quotes -

"I started playing Union when I was in boarding school"

"That was a 7s competition. I had a couple of friends that played, so they dragged me along to training. They got me into Union and I've stuck with it ever since."

From the tone, wouldn't be a huge surprise if she were a League junior. Although curious that she says "Union" rather than "Rugby".

I believe we should globally encourage as many overseas players as is practicable and affordable. Helps generate interest among media, sponsors and fans. Forges links between comps, clubs, players. All of which spreads awareness of women's RL.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Quick bit of research unearthed an article containing these quotes -

"I started playing Union when I was in boarding school"

"That was a 7s competition. I had a couple of friends that played, so they dragged me along to training. They got me into Union and I've stuck with it ever since."

From the tone, wouldn't be a huge surprise if she were a League junior. Although curious that she says "Union" rather than "Rugby".

I believe we should globally encourage as many overseas players as is practicable and affordable. Helps generate interest among media, sponsors and fans. Forges links between comps, clubs, players. All of which spreads awareness of women's RL.

Club statement says that the contact/lead was through Hendo (Knights coach), so an unusual route. She's been pitched into the squad for the Valkyrie's visit to Barrow tomorrow...... Western Queensland to Barrow - hope she's brought appropriate clothing😆

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Club statement says that the contact/lead was through Hendo (Knights coach), so an unusual route. She's been pitched into the squad for the Valkyrie's visit to Barrow tomorrow...... Western Queensland to Barrow - hope she's brought appropriate clothing😆

....and got the lyrics weighed off🫁

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

Nope , they do it after every win , and clean as a whistle.

I meant is it the first sponsorship of a WSL shed celebration. It's brought to us by brewyorkbeer.

Good to see York ladies preserving their decorum. Despite being plied with alcohol.

There's a behind-the-scenes video on YouTube covering Wigan's DW debut. Their victory tub-thumper has a word bleeped out.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I meant is it the first sponsorship of a WSL shed celebration. It's brought to us by brewyorkbeer.

Good to see York ladies preserving their decorum. Despite being plied with alcohol.

There's a behind-the-scenes video on YouTube covering Wigan's DW debut. Their victory tub-thumper has a word bleeped out.

Here's today's sponsored effort, after a distinctly underwhelming 28-10 away victory at Barrow

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Here's today's sponsored effort, after a distinctly underwhelming 28-10 away victory at Barrow

This must be the half-time celebration. Even more premature than last year's GF.

Second-half 10-0 to the home side.

Leeds 68 Warrington 0 is the no-surprise result of the day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Why should it matter ? , Brew York brew 2 beers for York RL , one for the Knights and one for the Valks.

Knights ale 3.7 abv , Valks 5.0 abv.

13 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Barrow look like they're going to put up as tough an opposition for the "top" sides as anyone else, which is good for them, and those sides who need more of a challenge than strolls in the park.

• Like 2

I watched Barrow last week v Wigan and they were competitive. They probably just lack a few class players to beat the top teams but good to seem them having a real dig.

The centre Hutchinson looks a good player.

• Like 3

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

I think Amanda Wilkinson is a significant factor. By virtue of knowing women's RL inside out, she's more in tune with the standard of player available at Barrow and thus minded to strike a better balance between results and performances.

Pressure to deliver wins is baked into the coaching culture of men's pro RL. Adversity is accompanied by threat of losing your job and angry vituperative derision from your own fans. The duress and opprobrium affects how coaches interact with their players. Not sure a male coach can ever completely shed that baggage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I think Amanda Wilkinson is a significant factor. By virtue of knowing women's RL inside out, she's more in tune with the standard of player available at Barrow and thus minded to strike a better balance between results and performances.

Pressure to deliver wins is baked into the coaching culture of men's pro RL. Adversity is accompanied by threat of losing your job and angry vituperative derision from your own fans. The duress and opprobrium affects how coaches interact with their players. Not sure a male coach can ever completely shed that baggage.

Amanda Wilkinson has made a huge difference to Barrow in the 2 or 3 years she has been there. You can see how she has improved the players individually as well as forging a decent team

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand