Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bridge out for the season

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true, the evans twins will not be far off.

forget the burgess twins (where are they now?????)

Wires future is bright......yesterday the new golden age of Warrington beat leeds U20's 94 - 6

now thats a BRIGHT future

Look at our side though compared to Leeds who did not have a hope in hell of matching Wire for talent!!! biggrin.gif

Wolves

Jordan Burke, Chris Fleming, Rhys Evans, James Mendieka, Rhys Williams, Gareth O'Brien, Richie Myler, Garreth Carvell, Jon Clarke, Mike Cooper, Jack Cooper,James Laithwaite, Liam Hulme

Subs: Gavin Williams, Ben Evans, Ryan Duffy, Sam Caslick

#22 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 28 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at our side though compared to Leeds who did not have a hope in hell of matching Wire for talent!!! biggrin.gif

Wolves

Jordan Burke, Chris Fleming, Rhys Evans, James Mendieka, Rhys Williams, Gareth O'Brien, Richie Myler, Garreth Carvell, Jon Clarke, Mike Cooper, Jack Cooper,James Laithwaite, Liam Hulme

yes indeed, but 3 returning from long term injury.

17 tries scored in total

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes indeed, but 3 returning from long term injury.

17 tries scored in total

Does anyone have the Leeds team from yesterday to compare, that's still 4 first team players with plenty of experience in an u20's team.I was talking to Chris Clarkson after their recent game against wakey u20's when Charlie leano destroyed them, it was literally men v boys.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Wolves

Rhinos

Tom Bush, Reuben Haile, Aston Wilson, Joel Gill, Jimmy Watson, Jack Carvill, Tom Carroll, Matty Nicholson, Mark Wool, Matty Syron, Clayton Stott, Jared Stewart, Chris Clarkson

Suns: Liam Hood, Brad Singleton, Colton Roche, Ben Parkinson

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wolves

Rhinos

Tom Bush, Reuben Haile, Aston Wilson, Joel Gill, Jimmy Watson, Jack Carvill, Tom Carroll, Matty Nicholson, Mark Wool, Matty Syron, Clayton Stott, Jared Stewart, Chris Clarkson

Suns: Liam Hood, Brad Singleton, Colton Roche, Ben Parkinson

So we had 2 lads who have played a handful of first team games against a team that included 3 full internationals.
Don't know if the future is that bright for Warrington, do you?

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jun 28 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we had 2 lads who have played a handful of first team games against a team that included 3 full internationals.

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Still think it's a positive for Wires.

#27 FearTheVee

FearTheVee
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for clearing that one up.

Still think it's a positive for Wires.

I'd be tempted to try Joel Tomkins in the centres - we are already strong in the back row and he's looked very good when played there.

Leon Pryce would be a better centre for England than pretty much any other alternative in my opinion.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

I doubt Bridge will be missed in the four nations.
There is not an English player from stand off to full back that is better than the opposite player they will face from NZ or Australia.

#29 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Jun 28 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt Bridge will be missed in the four nations.
There is not an English player from stand off to full back that is better than the opposite player they will face from NZ or Australia.

So do you think they will fear Eastmond?

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 28 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably more than Bridge.

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 28 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think the word fear is in the mindset of teams from downunder.
Respect maybe but fear is not a word that an NRL player would think about.
Eastmond has done what at top level at this point of his career?
He is around the same ability as Matt Bowen a couple of years ago.

#32 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jun 28 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you need to check out the performances that we have been putting in week on week before you say that the future isn't bright.

The lads that did the damage yesterday are the same lads that have been producing the goods all season long, and most of them are still 17 or 18 years of age.

#33 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

Gleeson has been playing very well after his ticking off and being dropped, and would as ever do a good enough job for England. It wouldn't weaken the team at all.

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jun 28 2010, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gleeson has been playing very well after his ticking off and being dropped, and would as ever do a good enough job for England. It wouldn't weaken the team at all.

Yep, wouldn't think twice about puting Gleeson back in there. Like with Pryce, we shouldn't just be resigning players to the scrap heap just because they have lost their spot once. We simply don't have enough quality players to be able to do that.

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

I would welcome Gleeson and Pyrce in the centre position.

For me they are talented players who (on there day) are a handful for anybody.

It's the coaches job to get them ready for the BIG games, plus their own pride and passion for the game.

#36 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strong opinion MrPosh

Who would you have instead????

Bridge has been a form player of Super League this season, plenty of players, ex players and SKY people been talking him up.

Quite a few. You are quite right that it is important to pick with form and also players that play there for their clubs, but I would put several ahead of Bridge in terms of talent.

I would like to see Pryce play at centre, but I'm not sure that he can do that effectively if he's not doing that for his club - I still feel it's his best position. Likewise Joel Tomkins, who looks to have all the necessary attributes, but I see Wigan fans feel he should stay in the second row.

I might be a minority, but I really like Clubb at Quins and I think that Lee Smith is a better option than Bridge (as I'm sure would be Callum Watkins) - especially if Widdop is going to be full-back. Add in Gleeson and the fact centre is meant to be Tom Briscoe's best position and I think Bridge should be quite a way from the team.

Also, the fact that he originally chose Ireland should rule him out of selection permanently.
People called Romans they go the house

#37 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would welcome Gleeson and Pyrce in the centre position.

For me they are talented players who (on there day) are a handful for anybody.

It's the coaches job to get them ready for the BIG games, plus their own pride and passion for the game.

Don't you think its a bit like the England Soccer team, trotting out the same under performers year after year just because we have nobody else coming through?

I would prefer we blood some up and comers, maybe some of the Huddersfield backline?

Centre is a position we have not much depth at all.

#38 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 28 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you think its a bit like the England Soccer team, trotting out the same under performers year after year just because we have nobody else coming through?

I would prefer we blood some up and comers, maybe some of the Huddersfield backline?

Centre is a position we have not much depth at all.

Yes it is like the Football team, but 1-5 we can't compete with the Kiwis or Aussies and IMHO Pyrce and Gleeson are the better options.

I guess its all about opinions.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite a few. You are quite right that it is important to pick with form and also players that play there for their clubs, but I would put several ahead of Bridge in terms of talent.

I would like to see Pryce play at centre, but I'm not sure that he can do that effectively if he's not doing that for his club - I still feel it's his best position. Likewise Joel Tomkins, who looks to have all the necessary attributes, but I see Wigan fans feel he should stay in the second row.

I might be a minority, but I really like Clubb at Quins and I think that Lee Smith is a better option than Bridge (as I'm sure would be Callum Watkins) - especially if Widdop is going to be full-back. Add in Gleeson and the fact centre is meant to be Tom Briscoe's best position and I think Bridge should be quite a way from the team.

Also, the fact that he originally chose Ireland should rule him out of selection permanently.

Is this serious?

So when asked for a list of players who you would put at 3 ahead of Bridge, you go with:
Pryce
J Tomkins
Clubb
Smith
Watkins
Briscoe

Most of those players don't even play right centre, yet you would have them in ahead of a player who has made that position his own and has had a couple of decent games for England in that position already.

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly you've got issues with Bridge leaving your beloved Bradford

Since he left he has improved year on year after injury after injury and made the Centre spot his position.

We both agree we would like to see pyrce in the centre.

Lee Smith over Bridge not sure, Smith is a winger / FB for me.

Callum Watkins over Bridge..... WCC thats enough said

Tom Briscoe agree 100%, but thats one for the Future (is he ready to play centre v's Aus and NZ)

Gleeson like you we agree (pies would back this up, he deserves his place back)

and I'm sorry you are being pathetic if you think Bridge shouldn't play for Eng because he played for Ireland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users