Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mine's bigger than yours!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 11 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should give a toss because according to your posts on this thread a "derby" is what you say it is. (no change there then) wink.gif

Wrong again, its not "what I say it is", and I haven't said what I think it is, I have quoted both Collins and The Oxford English dictionaries which give you definitions.

You are the one being stubborn and wanting to re-write the OED.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#82 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 11 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wrong again, its not "what I say it is", and I haven't said what I think it is, I have quoted both Collins and The Oxford English dictionaries which give you definitions.

You are the one being stubborn and wanting to re-write the OED.

No just winding you up Dave laugh.gif
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#83 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

dead set its worth 24 hours on a plane just to enjoy the hull derby at the kc

hull kr should only be in SL for the derby game,, anything else they offer is a bonus

im not saying wigan saints was bad, it was fantastic too.

#84 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Vinatge TRL thread.

Instead of debating which derby is the best (fev v C*s is the correct answer) we get five pages of heated debate on what the word 'derby' means.

Classic. wink.gif

A Fev Blog

#85 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jul 11 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vinatge TRL thread.

Instead of debating which derby is the best (fev v C*s is the correct answer) we get five pages of heated debate on what the word 'derby' means.

Classic. wink.gif

I feel sorry for Joan. She seems to have been overlooked for some reason.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#86 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 11 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dead set its worth 24 hours on a plane just to enjoy the hull derby at the kc

hull kr should only be in SL for the derby game,, anything else they offer is a bonus

im not saying wigan saints was bad, it was fantastic too.

Did you not enjoy Bradford vs Leeds? wink.gif

#87 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've looked the word "derby" up in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. A "derby" match is any important match. A local derby is a match between two local rivals. So I guess you have to define local. How far from New Craven Park to the KC? How far from DW to KR? How far from Odsal to Headingley? If it wasn't for Hanging Heaton Church you could see New Crown Flat from Mount Pleasant. And as I said earlier it's about three miles from Wheldon Road to P O Road.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#88 Vengeance

Vengeance
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 11 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think a game that draws out the dickheads from each club is something to be proud of or look forward to tbh.

Read my post again and tell me where i said i was either proud of or looking forward to my next Widnes v Wire game.

#89 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 11 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've looked the word "derby" up in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. A "derby" match is any important match. A local derby is a match between two local rivals. So I guess you have to define local. How far from New Craven Park to the KC? How far from DW to KR? How far from Odsal to Headingley? If it wasn't for Hanging Heaton Church you could see New Crown Flat from Mount Pleasant. And as I said earlier it's about three miles from Wheldon Road to P O Road.

You got there eventually, I've only posted the definition twice already. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Padge, 11 July 2010 - 07:01 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#90 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

As far as the biggest is concerned, I expect Thursday's game at the KC to confirm it's now Hull v Hull KR.

As for the best, in terms of quality in the Super League era we don't even come close to Leeds v Bradford or Saints v Wigan.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#91 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Batley V Dewsbury

Right, no more discussion needed.

Close the thread.

#92 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Jul 11 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as the biggest is concerned, I expect Thursday's game at the KC to confirm it's now Hull v Hull KR.

As for the best, in terms of quality in the Super League era we don't even come close to Leeds v Bradford or Saints v Wigan.

The Hull games, as long as both teams are at the top table pulls in the crowds, the Wigan v Saints game is almost a national institution, as I said earlier it was listed in the top ten sporting events to see in this country by the Gruniad.

Wigan and Saints rivalry is known throughout the country by most people who take an in interest in sport, Leeds v Bradford doesn't hit the radar outside of, well Leeds and Bradford.

Of course St. Pats supporters and Rose Bridge supporters will claim they are a true derby as they less than a mile apart and the games are fiercley contested, they don't need big crowds for it to be a big derby. Just as two Hull amateur teams will claim that they have a true derby despite not pulling in what the pro clubs pull in.

A derby in general is what the players and supporters make of it, Fev v Cas is big to the people of Featherstone and Castleford, the Hull Derby is big to the people of Hull. Wigan v Saints seems to register to a wider audiance than just the people of the respective towns, viweing figures and media coverage would seem to back this up.

There isn't a single measure, and whatever combintion of measures you use their will always be a different outcome.

The one thing I will never accept as a measure is how much two rival sets of fans hate each other, to claim that my team v t'other lot is bigger because we won't type their name is pathetic and should be left to the cretins supporting football.

Conclusion.

Locally Hull v Hull KR biggest.

Nationaly Wigan v Saints biggest.

#93 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 11 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Hull games, as long as both teams are at the top table pulls in the crowds, the Wigan v Saints game is almost a national institution, as I said earlier it was listed in the top ten sporting events to see in this country by the Gruniad.

Wigan and Saints rivalry is known throughout the country by most people who take an in interest in sport, Leeds v Bradford doesn't hit the radar outside of, well Leeds and Bradford.

Of course St. Pats supporters and Rose Bridge supporters will claim they are a true derby as they less than a mile apart and the games are fiercley contested, they don't need big crowds for it to be a big derby. Just as two Hull amateur teams will claim that they have a true derby despite not pulling in what the pro clubs pull in.

A derby in general is what the players and supporters make of it, Fev v Cas is big to the people of Featherstone and Castleford, the Hull Derby is big to the people of Hull. Wigan v Saints seems to register to a wider audiance than just the people of the respective towns, viweing figures and media coverage would seem to back this up.

There isn't a single measure, and whatever combintion of measures you use their will always be a different outcome.

The one thing I will never accept as a measure is how much two rival sets of fans hate each other, to claim that my team v t'other lot is bigger because we won't type their name is pathetic and should be left to the cretins supporting football.

Conclusion.

Good post and fair conclusion too.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#94 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Vengeance @ Jul 11 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read my post again and tell me where i said i was either proud of or looking forward to my next Widnes v Wire game.

I didn't say you did. I was giving my thoughts on that game based on your comments.

In a thread about the biggest and best derby, my comments are relevant.

#95 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 11 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Conclusion.

I stopped reading it when you used the Gruniad as your reference.

Edited by deluded pom?, 12 July 2010 - 11:16 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#96 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

At least one thing has been sorted:

Webby, next time ask a clearer question!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#97 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

a thought has just come to me. ohmy.gif

rather than mines bigger than yours etc etc.

I wonder which derby has been played the most times in the same League.

just a thought. cool.gif

#98 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Bramley v Leeds were'nt a bad derby either ,it used to fill the old Barley Mow ground over 9000 .
I remember as a kid convoys of no77 buses coming up through the broadlea estate on their way "up bramley"bringing leeds fans from town.
and please no jokes about the broadlea estate it was ok 50 years ago.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#99 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Just to develop Padge's reference to area, it could be said that there are three types of derby; between clubs from the same city, between clubs from the same town and between clubs from two geographically close cities or towns.
Can I give an example of two clubs from the same town being the biggest deby on the day (or in this case in the week leading up to the day) then it would have to be the Saints versus the Recs!

However the closest geographically linked derby in sport in general would have to be in Dundee where the two grounds are next door to each other.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#100 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a thought has just come to me. ohmy.gif

rather than mines bigger than yours etc etc.

I wonder which derby has been played the most times in the same League.

just a thought. cool.gif

Its Wigan v Saints, be very careful and do your research before you reply. You know what happened last time you tried something like this. biggrin.gif