TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Famous years in Rugby League..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

A remarkable year for RL in that two players from the same club managed to score TEN tries in a match.

Sean Edwards managed it against poor lowly Swinton in September, but Martin Offiah managed it first, against poor lowly, errm Leeds ohmy.gif in May of that year. And the Offiah feat was in a Premiership semi final as well!

Sorry to bring this up, as it's another pointless history lesson and obviously of no interest to anyone on here.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jul 13 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A remarkable year for RL in that two players from the same club managed to score TEN tries in a match.

Sean Edwards managed it against poor lowly Swinton in September, but Martin Offiah managed it first, against poor lowly, errm Leeds ohmy.gif in May of that year. And the Offiah feat was in a Premiership semi final as well!

Sorry to bring this up, as it's another pointless history lesson and obviously of no interest to anyone on here.

biggrin.gif

Was at both.

biggrin.gif
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sorry I only remember Paul Dixon scoring in the 79th minute that day!!! The rest of the game is a blank for some reason.

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (High Peak Rhino @ Jul 13 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I only remember Paul Dixon scoring in the 79th minute that day!!! The rest of the game is a blank for some reason.

Just to jog your memory: You Tube

Glad to be of help. wink.gif
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Jul 13 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to jog your memory: You Tube

Glad to be of help. wink.gif

What a gent dry.gif

For some reason it gets filtered out by work biggrin.gif

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Fev were relegated in 1992, which was sad, especially as their fate was in their own hands, they only needed a draw at Wakey and either Hull, Bradford or Salford would have accompanied Swinton through the trap-door - oh well. sad.gif
But it was doubly sad for the game - it was the last season of Station Road. I went to Station Road to watch Fev not long before the end of the season. It was run-down and dilapidated, and there was a very small crowd, most of whom were from Fev.
I've just been reading a book about Grand/Championship Finals, many of which along with Test matches, cup semis, and County Cup ties were held there in front of large crowds. Sad year for RL 1992. Did Fartown close the same season?

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

NE will disagree with that because he wasn't there wink.gif wink.gif
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

1992 was also the last time we had a proper Lions tour of Australia and we saw a record win against Australia on Australian soil for G.B with a 33-10 mauling in Melbourne.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 Rogues Gallery

Rogues Gallery
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

I was the two ten try games and the mauling in Melbourne, which as an RL fan is the best day I have had. Conga in the rain, "Always look on the Brightside of Life" No sleep, cornflakes and beer for breakfast, and an early flight up to the Gold Coast.

"Oh What A Night"

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

Offiah also scored all four tries in the Nissan World 7s when Wigan beat Brisbane Broncos 18 - 6 to win the tournament and he scored 5 tries against Bradford in the Challenge Cup.

Offiah also won the Lance Todd Trophy this year. Dean Bell got Man of Steel. Wigan won team of the year. Sean Edwards was the leagues top try scorer with 40. Frano Botica was the top Goal scorer with 161.

Wigan won a 3rd consecutive Championship and their 5th consecutive Challenge Cup and completed the treble by lifting the Premiership Trophy with a new record score of 48 - 16 v Saints..

Leeds meanwhile were trying to off-load John Galllagher to anyone that would take him, had a ban on changing ends imposed at Headingly and were forced to improve policing facilities following trouble at the stadium. Doug Laughton Leeds coach was in bother for comments to referee Ian Ollerton

Leeds lost to Widnes in the Regal Trophy Final.

Weren't a bad year. biggrin.gif

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 14 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds meanwhile were trying to off-load John Galllagher to anyone that would take him, laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif . Doug Laughton Leeds coach was in bother for comments to referee Ian Ollerton mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#12 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 14 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds lost to Widnes in the Regal Trophy Final.

Weren't a bad year. biggrin.gif

Trying to remember who scored Leeds points in that final. dry.gif
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users