Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hicks signs 1year deal

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

So Hicks signs for another year. tongue.gif

We release mathers (eng) biggrin.gif to bring in Hodgson (aus). mellow.gif

Isn't it next season a reduction on overseas players 6 down to 5.

so that would mean

hodgson
hicks
king
monaghan (all aus)

then

L Anderson (2yrs left on contract)
D Solomona (1yr left)

my maths is 6 (so far)

Why do i raise this????

overseas players need reducing, forget the loopholes, number of years lived in the country, etc etc , it must stop....

so thats my comments on my club, What do you guys think?????

#2 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so that would mean

hodgson
hicks
king
monaghan (all aus)

then

D Solomona (1yr left)

my maths is 6 (so far)

Why do i raise this????

overseas players need reducing, forget the loopholes, number of years lived in the country, etc etc , it must stop....

means either one of thems leaving and it hasnt been announced yet or one was a kolpak under old system and has been granted an exemption ( although afaik they are all old style quota players).

Rfl wouldnt accept hicks registration for next year if it put you over quota.

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

(The Club fully operates to the RFL quota for overseas players. The RFL have specific regulations regarding the overseas quota and long-serving players in this country sit outside of the overseas quota.)

added to the bottom of the chris hicks press clip on the Wires Website.

I do not agree with it.

#4 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

so that would mean

hodgson
hicks
king
monaghan (all aus)

then

D Solomona (1yr left)

my maths is 6 (so far)

Why do i raise this????

means either one of thems leaving and it hasnt been announced yet or one was a kolpak under old system and has been granted an exemption ( although afaik they are all old style quota players).

only thing i could guess is solomona's been granted an exemption although im pretty sure he was always classed as a kiwi and not a kolpak.

Edited by matt newsholme, 15 July 2010 - 07:15 AM.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (matt newsholme @ Jul 15 2010, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

only thing i could guess is solomona's been granted an exemption although im pretty sure he was always classed as a kiwi and not a kolpak.

I think solomona has been in the country for over 5 years, so he doesn't count.

I suppose my issue is we need to reduce the amount of "overseas" players, but being able to bend the rules (how ever you look at it, they are overseas and don't qualify to play for england or wales) helps clubs retain a higher number of overseas players.

my other issue with this, younger lads are leaving Warrington this year as the overseas have retained their place / contracts.

watch this space, but a winger and a hooker will be leaving Warrington over the next 3/4 months
both have come thru the ranks and are also LOCAL lads.

#6 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think solomona has been in the country for over 5 years, so he doesn't count.

not as simple as that. The rule is that the player has to have been playing in superleague continously since before the quota rules were changed (feb 2008 I think) and also have been a kolpak player under old system. If they were a full quota player then they arent eligble for the exemption as I understand it. Could have sworn solomona was classed as a quota player for bullls and wakefield and not a kolpak.

#7 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

It's not only the number of overseas players,its the sums paid to them.Because they take such a high percentage of the salary cap,you would be very surprised how little many British players receive.Clubs put all their eggs in one basket - the overseas basket - then when those players get injured,the Clubs moan that their squads are lightweight to cover for injuries.The fact is that a Club could get three good,solid British players,for what they pay for an overseas 'star'.If that 'star' is injured,the Clubs moan they don't have the cover!. i.e. Bradford!!

#8 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

You're right, of course, but that must not be at the expense of players with existing contracts, some of whom have given years of dedicated service to the game in this country. They shouldn't be turfed out because they are foreign.

It must, legally and morally, be a slow process (and it is).
People called Romans they go the house

#9 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

so that would mean

hodgson
hicks
king
monaghan (all aus)

then

D Solomona (1yr left)

my maths is 6 (so far)

Why do i raise this????

I agree it is total ######. Rhys Lovegrove counts as home trained by us cos he came when he was 18! How daft a system is this.
Surely it should be done on eligibilty for England. If they can play for England then they don't count on the quote, if they can't then they do simple.

#10 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Im guessing Brett wont count since hes injured 90% of the season anyway
A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#11 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 15 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im guessing Brett wont count since hes injured 90% of the season anyway

and the 10% of games he plays in will still be more wins than Hudds laugh.gif

#12 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the 10% of games he plays in will still be more wins than Hudds laugh.gif

Maths not a strong point i see laugh.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 15 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maths not a strong point i see laugh.gif

yes.

now you do the maths.

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Wigan are one of the best when it comes to playing our own - Wiganers and home grown talent - but remain one of the worst in terms of overseas players, with 7 who have played for us this year (though I like to think of Richards as a special case given his Ireland appearances). While Feca, Phelps and Bailey have rightly been consigned to the reserves, I suspect we will pick up overseas replacements for them and Piggy. At least other SL clubs have no fear of us signing their players...

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 15 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wigan are one of the best when it comes to playing our own - Wiganers and home grown talent - but remain one of the worst in terms of overseas players, with 7 who have played for us this year (though I like to think of Richards as a special case given his Ireland appearances). While Feca, Phelps and Bailey have rightly been consigned to the reserves, I suspect we will pick up overseas replacements for them and Piggy. At least other SL clubs have no fear of us signing their players...

............unlike wires, saints and others.....very good EW.

just a good job ML is no longer there, Hudds would be licking their lips.

#16 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes.

now you do the maths.

Np

Brett plays 10% of the season, we'll round it up to 30 games, make it easy

So he plays 3 games which is more than Hudds will win next season, cant see that happening

As i said, maths not a strong point

Glad to be of assistance

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 15 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Np

Brett plays 10% of the season, we'll round it up to 30 games, make it easy

So he plays 3 games which is more than Hudds will win next season, cant see that happening

As i said, maths not a strong point

Glad to be of assistance

As i said no issues with my maths.. have you heard of sarcasm. tongue.gif ... yes you have, biggrin.gif you put 90% ohmy.gif
but my friend BH has alreay played in 71% of your games. laugh.gif ....... so over to you.

#18 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As i said no issues with my maths.. have you heard of sarcasm. tongue.gif ... yes you have, biggrin.gif you put 90% ohmy.gif
but my friend BH has alreay played in 71% of your games. laugh.gif ....... so over to you.

Its 75%

12/18

wink.gif

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 15 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its 75%

12/18

wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You might just want to check your maths mate. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

A Fev Blog

#20 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jul 15 2010, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You might just want to check your maths mate. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Never any good at Maths biggrin.gif

66%, 75% Close enough for me

Edited by Lee, 15 July 2010 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users