37 replies to this topic

#21 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 10 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it more ignorant than interesting - sorry if that offends you

A lot of clubs from here and abroad find the away ties hard on them and their fans because of the expense, however they are glad to be in the competition at the time.

I believe getting to the semi final stage gives you as much right as any team to expect a truly neutral venue. Maybe Wire and the RFL were afraid that the fans from Warrington would not travel any further than Widnes.

The RFL like stadiums to look full when on national TV. Maybe they reaslised that the chances of a catalan victory were slim,and therefore wanted a reasonable sized stadium to look quite full and realised that widnes was their best option?
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#22 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 10 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paul, there was a hint of sarcasm in my last sentence - I must remember to add a smiley rolleyes.gif

PMSL, i forgot my smiley, you no how sarcastic i am tongue.gif

I have put on other threads, the RFL could have stopped this arguement in 2007 when the Cats beat the Pies @ the HJ.

They could have easy said, next time cats make a semi, it'll be in France.(which is my true opinion)

But, as a reminder it is the CC and its ours (eng/welsh)

it would be like Lyon playing in the FA Cup ohmy.gif

#23 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 10 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The RFL like stadiums to look full when on national TV. Maybe they reaslised that the chances of a catalan victory were slim,and therefore wanted a reasonable sized stadium to look quite full and realised that widnes was their best option?

It's a sad state of affairs if we have to bow to the BBC. The competition should stand on its own two feet, no matter what. There are many empty spaces in the erlier rounds anyway.

#24 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 10 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PMSL, i forgot my smiley, you no how sarcastic i am tongue.gif

I have put on other threads, the RFL could have stopped this arguement in 2007 when the Cats beat the Pies @ the HJ.

They could have easy said, next time cats make a semi, it'll be in France.(which is my true opinion)

But, as a reminder it is the CC and its ours (eng/welsh)

it would be like Lyon playing in the FA Cup ohmy.gif

Didn't the Welsh enter later? If so, then it was an English competition first and foremost. No doubt, someone will enlighten us on its early history.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Aug 10 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a sad state of affairs if we have to bow to the BBC. The competition should stand on its own two feet, no matter what. There are many empty spaces in the erlier rounds anyway.

It's not pandering to the BBC, it is in the RFL's interest for the full stadiums, not the BBC.

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 10 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An interesting point made to me before the game on sunday was that although the catalan dragons play in a european SL,the challenge cup is really a british competition and therefore teams from overseas like the dragons should be grateful of the invitation to play in the comp and quit moaning about having to travel. Either that or let them withdraw from it and enter their own national cup competition.

From the RFL's operational, rules see here

SECTION B4: CHALLENGE CUP COMPETITION RULES

B4:3 All Members of the RFL who are Clubs shall participate in the competition together with
such other clubs (whether in membership of BARLA or not) as may be invited to do so by
the Board from time to time.

I think that to play in the ESL, Catalans have to be RFL members. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will be able to correct me, ( with the authority for that correction)

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Aug 10 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the RFL's operational, rules see here

SECTION B4: CHALLENGE CUP COMPETITION RULES

B4:3 All Members of the RFL who are Clubs shall participate in the competition together with
such other clubs (whether in membership of BARLA or not) as may be invited to do so by
the Board from time to time.

I think that to play in the ESL, Catalans have to be RFL members. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will be able to correct me, ( with the authority for that correction)

Irrespective of the technicalities, it was a ###### point, certainly not interesting! Catalans are as much part of the Challenge Cup as Warrington, and there is no reason why one team should have such a travel advantage.

#28 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 10 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not pandering to the BBC, it is in the RFL's interest for the full stadiums, not the BBC.

That's debatable.

#29 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 10 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Irrespective of the technicalities, it was a ###### point, certainly not interesting! Catalans are as much part of the Challenge Cup as Warrington, and there is no reason why one team should have such a travel advantage.

Agreed. cool.gif

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 10 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I meant to say, backed by the fact they were legitimately in the competition.

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Aug 10 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's debatable.

People overstate the demands of the broadcasters IMHO. They pay for the rugby, and they got 1 classic and one game with some great tries. They will have been happy with that, and not too concerned about the empty stand at Hudds.

The RFL on the other hand will have lost out on money, and would want to impress future fans and sponsors with a full stadium...

#32 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Can't help but wonder what the Catalans fans, who were planning to travel across, made of the choice of venue when they looked at a map.

Or does anyone think they're French Nationals living over here anyway, maybe even in Cheshire? (No offence intended to any fans who did travel across the channel)

Still think it was hardly a neutral venue, although letting Widnes fans in for nowt with a complimentary yellow and red scarf may have helped, had they tried it...

Edited by Old Frightful, 10 August 2010 - 08:09 AM.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 10 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An interesting point made to me before the game on sunday was that although the catalan dragons play in a european SL,the challenge cup is really a british competition and therefore teams from overseas like the dragons should be grateful of the invitation to play in the comp and quit moaning about having to travel. Either that or let them withdraw from it and enter their own national cup competition.

It's a northern English Competition and as such more clubs than Catalans are there by invitation only, those outside our nations boundaries like Crusaders, Quins and several of the amateurs who played in the early rounds have no real business being in it. For me playing the Final in London which has failed RL big time over the last 30 years and more, is sacrilage, and given we have some great venues in our own country we should surely be looking to either of the Manchester soccer grounds for the final.

I know the capacities are a bit reduced, but a lot of southerners and Welshies, Ozzers and Maoris go to the London Final. If we sell tickets only here in our glorious nation we can squeeze them blooming foreigners out - let them travel if they want a ticket.

#34 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 10 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a northern English Competition and as such more clubs than Catalans are there by invitation only, those outside our nations boundaries like Crusaders, Quins and several of the amateurs who played in the early rounds have no real business being in it. For me playing the Final in London which has failed RL big time over the last 30 years and more, is sacrilage, and given we have some great venues in our own country we should surely be looking to either of the Manchester soccer grounds for the final.

I know the capacities are a bit reduced, but a lot of southerners and Welshies, Ozzers and Maoris go to the London Final. If we sell tickets only here in our glorious nation we can squeeze them blooming foreigners out - let them travel if they want a ticket.

Good grief!

I presume your tongue was firmly in your cheek when this post was being created?

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#35 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 10 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good grief!

I presume your tongue was firmly in your cheek when this post was being created?

Is that post for the dimwits who couldn't have worked it out for themselves

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#36 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 10 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take it as a wind-up but without a smiley here goes.

At first it was a northern sport but spread beyond our shores. Where do we begin and end on who can, or cannot play our great game? Do we wave goodbye to Australia and New Zealand, as well as the other 'foreign' countries. "If you want to play us, then come on over".

Only for the M62, we might now be dead and buried. cool.gif

Edited by Saint Billinge, 10 August 2010 - 08:45 AM.

#37 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

If Warrington were invited to enter the french national cup,made the semi final and were told they were playing the Catalan Dragons in Toulouse then I would not complain. It's their comp,and therefore their choice where they play the semi finals.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#38 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Warrington were at times fantastic. Other times they were good.

They could have been average and still beat a very poor cats team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users