Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Boss QUITS.............

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Sounds like McCormack wanted to work with youngsters and nurture the next generation and he couldn't do that in Barrow.

Shame.

#22 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Pen-Y-Bont Crusader @ Aug 17 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Level results are in schools tomorrow 9.00am for staff. My workload is about to go up again. dry.gif

OT but genuine question. What do teachers have to do on A level results day?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hand the results out! rolleyes.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#24 candlestickchimney

candlestickchimney
  • Coach
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Can any of the locals confirm whether or not there is any truth in the rumours that Stokes has left Haven today too?? I bloody hope so!!
Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney
Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

#25 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (candlestickchimney @ Aug 17 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can any of the locals confirm whether or not there is any truth in the rumours that Stokes has left Haven today too?? I bloody hope so!!

Maybe a swap deal is on the cards? laugh.gif

#26 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 18 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like McCormack wanted to work with youngsters and nurture the next generation and he couldn't do that in Barrow.

Shame.

Thats actually quite funny laugh.gif

#27 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 17 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hand the results out! rolleyes.gif

Do they? Not at my school. Surely a couple of admin staff would suffice for that?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#28 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do they? Not at my school. Surely a couple of admin staff would suffice for that?

Begin the analysis and justification of each student's grade/mark in each component of AS and A2 examinations - especially in schools where they are looking at redundancies if results don't hit the targets.

Like mine dry.gif.

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What grades did you get?

biggrin.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

If his appointment was to a state Primary or Secondary, he could have been appointed anytime up to the end of that school's summer term (generally around 15th or 22nd July this year) given that, as i understand it, he was full time coach at Barrow and not working at another school.

Had he been working at another school at the time of his appointment, he would have had to have been offered and accepted the role by Easter.

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

several things
be working on next term's study programmes, risk assessments if work is being done 'in the field', generally getting turned round for next term
generally they will be in school to discuss with and advise the students about their results
edit: they might even be on holiday what with it being th school holidays

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 August 2010 - 08:06 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#32 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

How long before term starts do teachers have to start working? It depends.

If the teacher is already in the post and is simply staying in his/her existing post, then probably not very long - say a week. There will be admin work and general preparation - making sure equipment is up to scratch, brightening up rooms, getting paperwork ready, checking through the syllabus, etc. Nothing too strenuous, in truth.

If the teacher is starting a new job, then he/she will have his/her work cut out. The whole summer holiday may not be enough. The syllabus will have to be studied in detail, maybe even re-written, inventories taken, at the very least schemes of work or projects will have to be prepared. In truth, a hell of a lot of work.

Steve Mac is starting a new job.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#33 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

And of course not at all related to the drubbing "little" Dewsbury handed out to Barrow.

Our coach is part-time as well, so clearly possible to have a job and coach at least for a few weeks to the end of the season.

So going into the play-offs with a brand new coach?!!

#34 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Wakefield Ram @ Aug 19 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And of course not at all related to the drubbing "little" Dewsbury handed out to Barrow.

Our coach is part-time as well, so clearly possible to have a job and coach at least for a few weeks to the end of the season.

So going into the play-offs with a brand new coach?!!

Yes we got a drubbing, but dont think our coach thought "thats me im done"
Yes you have a PT Coach but I dont think your coach spent up to 5 / 6 HOURS per day, just travelling to & from training, never mind the 2 /3 hrs spent training per shift, it takes it toll on anyone , especially a family man.

Rams are in fine form.

#35 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Aug 17 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long before the start of term to teachers have to start working?

Offers of full-time teaching contracts are quite finite and have to be accepted or rejected quickly. A school or college can't just hang around waiting for you to make your mind up.

McCormack is taking the best option in the interests of his family.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Comfort and advise the kids whose grades weren't what they hoped amongst a vast number of other administrative tasks.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

McCormack insists Raiders chairman is no hatchet man
Last updated at 15:35, Thursday, 19 August 2010

Steve McCormack have dismissed suggestions Barrow Raiders have a chairman with an itchy trigger finger.

McCormack became the fourth coach to leave the top job at Craven Park in three years when he resigned on Tuesday to take up a full-time teaching position near his Wigan home.

But both he and Johnston have insisted he was not pushed out by a chairman demanding more success than the fourth place in the Championship that was being delivered.

“I was as surprised as anybody at the speed of events this week.

“There was no pressure from anybody on the board on Steve. We had discussed the situation and Steve had the opportunity, and had to make the decision for himself and his family.

“It was a two-year agreement and this wasn’t the situation 10 months ago because he didn’t have his teaching qualification back then.

“Steve was responsible for the results and he is well aware of that – this is a results business. But that had no bearing on rushing the decision any earlier than it should have been made.”

Those words were echoed by McCormack, who was quick to dismiss any suggestion he had been pushed out. With Paul Crarey, Steve Deakin and Dave Clark all having held the Barrow job since the end of the 2007 season, he recognised some would see the role as a poisoned chalice.

But McCormack was keen to point out the many positives that should encourage others to want to become the next boss.

He added: “Barrow is a good place to be. It’s a club built on strong foundations with good people in charge. There is a good board of directors – Pete Durkin, Dave Nixon and Jon Livesey, along with Des – it’s a very, very good club.

“It was just that the circumstances with myself that have made me leave. I have the chance for a full-time teaching career and those opportunities don’t come along often.”

From the horses mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users